Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 03:19
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at my one-page resume with Times New Roman 10 and I'm wondering if the font is too small. I used Arial 10 before and it was fine because Arial is bigger than TNR for a given font size.

Are there any resume experts who can tell me what's the bottom limit for font size for TNR or Arial or any other font? :?

Thanks!

becarev

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 04:27
Thanks rao I find it very useful!
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 00:03
I'm struggling to put everything in one page.... do you think TNR 10 is too small? :)

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2133

Kudos [?]: 7263 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 12:05
Expert's post
rid82 wrote:
I'm struggling to put everything in one page.... do you think TNR 10 is too small? :)

Probably, especially if it will be printed out
I have seen a few two-page résumés, but I think that's a little too much.

I would suggest to take out the least valuable items. If you can identify them :wink:

FYI: most companies now require you to enter your resume into their online system ( for a job that is)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 08:37
lonewolf wrote:
can anyone provide a link to Tuck Resume? It seems the book is off already.
Also, some resume sample from HBS would also be helpful.

thanks in advance

Hi everybody,

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions or use search box or this site.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at:Resume templates
Best rgs
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 16:52
One tip I received regarding GMAT and GPA on a resume is (one that no doubt everyone's heard by now): if it's good, put it; if not, then don't.

What exactly does "good" mean though? The conventional wisdom is 700+ and 3.5+ is safe to put on the resume; however, I was told recently that even this may backfire unintentionally. For example, if you got a 700 and your school's GMAT average is 710, you are implicitly telling the recruiter that you got lower than 50% of your classmates.

Like most things, this isn't a hard rule, but you may want to think twice about GMAT and GPA on the resume if you're far below your school's posted average.

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 17:33
Question: Do you think that what was essentially full time work for a church (though unpaid) should be included in the Experience section?
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:05
also, is it overkill to list my SAT1 & 2 scores on my resume if I need to strengthen my case for quantitative competency? I was an English major who took Stats (B-) and two Econ classes (A-, B) in college. I scored a 1510 (800 on Math) on SAT1 and 790 and 780 on the two Math SAT2s.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:20
And is it necessary/how would you indicate an 8-month sabbatical from your job on a resume?
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 16:04
imkabob wrote:
also, is it overkill to list my SAT1 & 2 scores on my resume if I need to strengthen my case for quantitative competency? I was an English major who took Stats (B-) and two Econ classes (A-, B) in college. I scored a 1510 (800 on Math) on SAT1 and 790 and 780 on the two Math SAT2s.

I think it's fair to say a test you took in high school is "past the expiration date" as Ross's Admissions Director would say. I think I'd laugh out loud if I saw someone's SAT score on a resume. If you have time, take a calc class.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 07:53
Quick question guys -

Is it OK to have tables in the MS Office Word document? I saw some resumes in Haas resume book and liked the format which has 'education', 'experience' etc aligned to the left (obviously in a table) and related info aligned to the right. I am attaching this sample resume that I downloaded from Microsoft.

Can anyone advice me if there are any issues using such a template or style. Will the word document be viewed as a Word doc or PDF or will the text be extracted from the document as basic text (which may be an issue if tables are used in Word doc)

Thanks for all the help.
Attachments

MS Office - Resume template.docx [20.83 KiB]
Downloaded 351 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 10:59
Expert's post
I don't see a reason why not.
I have used a resume with a table for the education section to save space...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 17:02
If someone could please clarify:

I noticed on some resumes "MBA Candidate" is placed under the school name to which he or she is applying. Is this an admissions tactic? Where placing the school's name/MBA program with "Candidate" or "potential candidate" is placed under education info as a subversive resume tactic against admissions?

I would think it is only appropriate to place "MBA Candidate at XYZ University" only after you're enrolled in XYZ program. So the resume's I see doing this must be from individuals who are past the applicant stage and are post-acceptance/enrolled, correct?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:04
Expert's post
you put it only AFTER admission, so the resumes you have seen may have been 2nd years or those who have enrolled.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 03:23
I am applying for a Master in International Management in Bocconi University. They want some proof of international experience. Do you think it is appropriate to mention my attendance at Salsa and Kizomba international festivals? Also, I participated in Work and Travel program in the USA. It lasted more than four months. I know they are not connected with management but they provide evidence for some international experience.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
forestbeauty wrote:
I am applying for a Master in International Management in Bocconi University. They want some proof of international experience. Do you think it is appropriate to mention my attendance at Salsa and Kizomba international festivals? Also, I participated in Work and Travel program in the USA. It lasted more than four months. I know they are not connected with management but they provide evidence for some international experience.

Someone more knowledgable than I will hopefully reply, but my 2 cents: You can and should play-up your Work and Travel program in the USA. That's a solid international experience...it is work in another country--that's great. You could artfully spin it any number of ways. You don't necessarily have to 'sell it' as Work and Travel--could simply just explain it as work--you had a short internship abroad to broaden your international profile--while exploring opportunities.

In my opinion, the international Salsa and Kizomba festivals could be worth mentioning to help reinforce the 'international' theme you're ultimately trying to create. Perhaps best listed under "Other Interests, Hobbies, Experiences" as an afterthought...that seems best.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 23:42
Thanks a lot.
I will go this summer again. I find it very useful to get not only international experience but also a sense for the language.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2011, 11:34
bb wrote:
you put it only AFTER admission, so the resumes you have seen may have been 2nd years or those who have enrolled.

Just to clarify; adding "XYZ University, MBA (Prospective 2011)" under education--where "XYZ is name of MBA program/School you're applying--is not advisable? The keyword here being "Prospective"...as in, "hopeful" candidate (not yet candidate). My only reasoning is that having the schools name printed there, even if only to say "Prospective" and not "Candidate" would be viewed positively by admissions.

How wrong is my thinking on this?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 09:06
What they forgot to tell you was that on MBA Focus there is a handling fee. I registered and selected 5 free resume books and then went to check out only to find a $100 handling fee. So if you are not prepared to pay a handling fee, don't waste your time.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 06:48
DoorKnocker wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at my one-page resume with Times New Roman 10 and I'm wondering if the font is too small. I used Arial 10 before and it was fine because Arial is bigger than TNR for a given font size.

Are there any resume experts who can tell me what's the bottom limit for font size for TNR or Arial or any other font? :?

Thanks!

becarev

becarev,
You'll want to use Arial or Time New Roman with a 12 font. Most companies want that format. You can also use a resume service if you need help with what font to use and for helping you make the most of your resume. Good luck!
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2011, 06:48