Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [3] , given: 14

Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What is TOEFL?
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language - in other words it is English Language Proficiency test that all US Business Schools require International applicants to take. The new Internet Based Test or TOEFL iBT is scored from 0 to 120 but schools do not look at it from a scoring standpoint but rather Pass/Fail. Many schools will set a certain minimum that an applicants must get. If you are a native speaker or have been educated at a Western College that used English as the main language of instruction, there is a good chance that TOEFL requirement will be waived. US Residents and graduates of US colleges do not need to take TOEFL.

Some useful links:

- About the TOEFL iBT:
ETS TOEFL@iBT Home

- Test preparation:
TOEFL@ iBT Test Preparation

- Online practice. Similar to GMATprep but pretty expensive - tests are $44.95 each :shock: Sometimes I'm glad ETS is not provider of GMAT anymore:
http://toeflpractice.ets.org/

TOEFL Preparation Guide books:

1. The Official Guide to the New TOEFL iBT:
Attachment:
TOEFL OG.jpg
TOEFL OG.jpg [ 17.35 KiB | Viewed 112761 times ]

This book is a "must have" for TOEFL Preparation, no doubt about it. All four sections of the test are covered in detail with very thoroughly explained basic type of questions. This product is all you need to master the TOEFL. Unlike OG for GMAT, Official Guide for TOEFL is enough, you don't need any additional material. While additional scripts and books can help, they are not necessary to get the high score.

Pros:
Well written, excellent selection of example essays and readings. Simply, applicant will be very well prepared for the test with this book and wouldn't find any subsequent unpleasant surprises in the test itself.

Cons:
Nothing specific for this book. What used to drive me crazy during TOEFL preparation was lack of any kind of resource for practice of Speaking section.

2. Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL Test:
Attachment:
TOEFL Cambridge.jpg
TOEFL Cambridge.jpg [ 16.81 KiB | Viewed 112719 times ]

Note:
These are the only TOEFL books I had experience with. I expect members of the forum to recommend other books or to critique these two.

Welcome to the new TOEFL Subforum.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by carcass on 08 Jul 2014, 03:47, edited 4 times in total.
Update
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 11:06
Expert's post
I have not used this version, but used a similar book before to get my vocabulary up. This one is TOEFL specific.

400 Must-Have Words for the TOEFL
Attachment:
400 TOEFL Words.jpg
400 TOEFL Words.jpg [ 19.54 KiB | Viewed 112484 times ]

Here is the one I have used, which I can't believe they still have in print. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars, but I thought it was worth the money.
More Illustrated Word Smart (Smart Guides)

Attachment:
Word Smart.jpg
Word Smart.jpg [ 13.59 KiB | Viewed 112396 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9456 [1] , given: 3702

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Also here is a TOEFL summary for Top 20 schools by Hjort: toefl-compendium-29863.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 00:29
This post received
KUDOS
I found best match between the real TOEFL Test and the Cambridge Practice Tests as well as i-Courses TOEFL Practice Tests. The good news is that i-Courses also offers a free TOEFL Sample that may be used online just by registering into their web page. For the full TOEFL Tests i-Courses give a nice feedback while in Cambridge that is a drawback that you cannot receive real teacher feedback nor your essays or writings are scored.

I-course TOEFL Test Online and Cambridge TOEFL Preparation.

Greets,
Attachments

How To Crack TOEFL iBT Tips.pdf [276.71 KiB]
Downloaded 2360 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by bb on 22 Aug 2009, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Links added
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 12:58
looks like i have all the info here :-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 22:25
Hello all!

For my TOEFL preparation, I have bought the followowing books:

--> The complete guide to the TOEFL test iBT Edition

--> The official guide TOEFL Test

See ya!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 14:23
thank for the post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 01:29
A friend of mine has lent me Cracking the TOEFL iBT, but the 2009 edition.
Since I didn't find any mention of this book on this forum, just wanted to know, if it's a good enough book. If not, then I may have to purchase one of the others suggested in the posts above in this thread.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
If somebody needs, contact me.
I have a list of all Toefl iBT books that you need to study, but I am new here so I can not post link. :D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 19:55
Expert's post
heobeobeo wrote:
I have a list of all Toefl iBT books that you need to study, but I am new here so I can not post link. :D

Thank you!
Please post the names and i will link them up.

Founder of GMAT Club

GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 2

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 03:29
I studied using "Barrons" http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-TOEFL-CD- ... 334&sr=8-1

The accompanying CD had 7 full length practice tests and was comparable to what I found in the real exam.

By the way, I got this book while I was in India and they had an Indian edition.It was quite inexpensive considering the amount of practice the CD provided. The Indian edition costed less than 400 INR ( less than 10 dollars).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 05:14
Are there any free online materials for speaking and listening... ?

Regards,
If you like my post, consider giving me a kudo. THANKS!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 09:14
Cambridge is the best book for listening. I think, the difficulty of the listening passage is as same as real Toefl. Also I got nearly same points in real Toefl
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:32
Is cambridge good for writing and reading as well? Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 07:16
I got myself a copy of the Official Guide for the new TOEFL iBT from my local library(luckily they had a copy) and the book is the second edition. If I'm not wrong, the third edition is already out. So was wondering if I would need to buy the third edition? Also, is it sufficient if I go through the official guide alone? I scored 100 last time without any practice/prep. However, I need to retake it to score around 110 now with a minimum of 26 in each section. My trest is on friday march 11. thank you
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 266 [2] , given: 151

Reviews Badge
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
hey,
no need to buy the last version, you are fine with yours. Good luck.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 09:37
Thanks rid! I'm relieved now..will start studying...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
heobeobeo wrote:

Please send me at awaitedfriend@gmail.com
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 14:43
Hi,

How is the Kaplan book for Toefl?

I heard that the book is accompanied with 4 practice tests that are representative of the real exam. However, I read online somewhere that the practice tests will not give you a score once you are done. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this? Is it cause of the speaking section? But still if the tests won't give me a score then how will I know where I stand?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 70

Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 11:20
Has anyone used Longman? I read some good reviews but also read an english teacher saying that the integrated tasks of this book are very different from the ones of the real test...
Re: Best TOEFL Preparation Books Resources - Reviews & Comments   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2011, 11:20