Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Breadth Vs Depth paradigm question.....Award/Recognition.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Breadth Vs Depth paradigm question.....Award/Recognition. [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 09:25
Scott/Omari:

Would it be considered "overlap" if i included my awards/recognitions in the "awards/recognition" section of the application if a) i've already included them in my resume and b) discussed "briefly in passing" in my essays.

Should i include the various aspects of these "high impact" awards [for e.g: monetary value in resume, awarded from a pool of x%, etc] in my "awards/recognition" section, "resume" and "essays" respectively. i dont want to run the risk of being seen as someone who is "one-dimensional".....In your opinion should i go with the "depth" Vs breadth" ?

depth = paint different aspects of the same award in different sections (essays, resume, "Award/Recognition Section"]

breadth = completely different awards, although they might not have the same sizzle as the "high impact" awards?

regards
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 14:37
Expert's post
No, I think this is okay. They have the "Awards" section so that they can easily spot those achievements in your background. Even though most people will mention their awards in their resumes and sometimes even in their essays, I would definitely put them in the "Awards" section.

If I were to remove a reference anywhere in the app, I might remove the mention in your essays. If the awards re relevant to a theme that you're emphasizing in your essay, then keep them in there. For instance, if you are writing an essay about leadership and have received a leadership award, then definitely mention it. But don't just throw the awards in there for the sake of having the adcomms see them. That's what the "Awards" section is for. Mention them if they help the essay, but don't overdo it.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 20:00
Scott:
Thanks for the response. I have a follow up question. In your opinion would it make more sense to include the "same type" of awards in the "Awards and Recognition" Section. For instance stock options. Lets say as a part of my company's "pay for performance" motto, I've received stock options over the last 4-5 years each year because i was in the top 10% of my company's performance ranking.

I've also received "Special Recognitions" Awards that might not have the same monetary values but is a different "type" of award [e.g: Gift checks with a special recognition from a V.P - only 2 out of 300 people received this recognition].

In your opinion would it make sense to include the "special recognition" award over the "stock option" awards. Would "diversity" of awards be viewed better than "one dimensional" type of awards although the "one dimensional" award might have a greater monteary value?

regards,
gmataquaguy
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 09:14
Expert's post
Wow, it's tough to sort through all of your awards! :)

My personal measure and determining factor is not the size of the award but the uniqueness of it. It sounds like your stock options were awarded for your excellent performance, which is great, but keep in mind that your app will be compared to those of thousands of other people who also received stock options (whether or not they were merit-based). So, at a glance, an adcomm might see your stock options and think of them as part of the semi-normal compensation that many young workers get in successful companies.

Meanwhile, not many people get a gift and special recognition from their VP. This will stand out much more. Don't worry if it's worth less money. Thinking like an adcomm for a minute, I'd be more interested in hearing about a $100 bonus that you got for making a unique contribution than hearing about a $5,000 bonus you got for just doing pretty good work.

Hope that helps. In the end, I promise that it won't matter all that much. I mean, these things definitely matter, but don't worry about the adcomms examining every line of your app looking for whether a bonus should have been listed in Section A or Section B. It's your overall story -- and how you tell it -- that matters the most!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews