Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Go to Lower Manhattan. . . [#permalink]
Adam6378 wrote:
I would not even consider taking the test at this facility.

Just re-schedule at another facility. I would have instantly. If you have to drive an hour away, you'd be better off. I also wouldn't stress over it. During your test prep, you have to do everything to keep a calm attitude and not let anything interfere with your preparation.

Anger and stress can affect your mind and subsequently affect your test prep. This is the final prep phase, don't allow anything to upset you or distract you from maintaining a calm, cool and collective state of mind.

I did not have that experience, but I took the test before Pearson Vue took over.

There is a test site in Lower Manhattan, not far from Broadway-Nausau train station. (it's on Williams Street) The people there were very friendly. I would reschedule to take it there. The only thing is that test is offered at 8am and 12pm; I believe the Brooklyn site is a 9am test only.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia
Send PM
YES.. that was me [#permalink]
That was me with the problems in Brooklyn...
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t54351

Nice to know I wasn't the only one!

It was AWFUL!!!! I took it again at the one on Williams ST.. WAY Better. I told the ladies there what happen, they could not believe it, shocked!

I still can't believe how bad the Brooklyn center was. That guy was such a jerk!!

Sucks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would recommend taking the test at the Pearson center in lower manhattan on williams street as well. I took the test just last saturday at 9:00 am and the staff there was very friendly and professional. I didn't have any issues with noise or anything. And now they have the new computers with the LCD monitor. My proctor was a young woman and she was pretty cool along with the other girls by the front desk.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took the GMAT there too, horrible place. The proctors there were rude and there was a jackhammer drilling outside during my test, I mean comon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
a bit off topic, but i have heard good things about the rego park testing center in queens. not sure if you can get there though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: Brooklyn Pearson Vue Center - problems with PROCTORS [#permalink]
Did you file a formal complaint? Because I think if you let things as small as that get the best of you, how do you plan to deal with people who distract you and piss you off in B-School? Please dont be offended by my post, but I just believe if it is really that bad you should do whats right and write a letter, or make a phone call so that future test takers do not have to experience what you posted above.

You might get your money back, or a credit towards your next test. But remember....be nice when you call :)

Originally posted by Nitty on 04 Jan 2008, 17:08.
Last edited by Nitty on 10 Jan 2008, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I respectfully disagree with the previous poster.

I can do my job with distractions and noise but I cannot take a standardized test with any noise. I go into the test center thinking of my environment and when people blatantly are disrespectful, I would be really frustrated and thrown off my game. And I think the main reason for all of this is because work stress is different from GMAT stress. At work you are generally pressed for time (not knowledge since you know everything you are doing) but the GMAT is testing for knowledge.

I don't know, just my $0.02. Anyone who can take the GMAT with distractions should get extra points in my book b/c that's a skill I will never have.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
AVakil wrote:
a bit off topic, but i have heard good things about the rego park testing center in queens. not sure if you can get there though.

Took my GMAT there in Nov '06. The proctors were horrible. They were chatting away on the phone during my test and didn't even recognize my hand in the air. Also, when I took the test, Rego Park had HUGE CRT monitors.

My advice: Expect the worst.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Want to put in a word in support of taking the test at the 5th Avenue location. Very close to Bryant Park subways and Grand Central, and it's a really small and quiet center with LCD monitors and pretty friendly proctors.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YES i did file a formal complaint...and I was told it was "escalated" to a supervisor. I did this a month ago but haven't heard anything back. I'm set to take the test again here on Saturday...so hopefully it'll be a better situation. otherwise, i'll wear my ear plugs.

i've been studying in public places to try to make myself concentrate with noise around. this shouldn't be necessary...but unfortunately this was the only date / location that worked with my schedule.

wish me luck! thanks for the replies. and if anyone else has any problems, please go to the pearson vue web site and submit a complaint. i posted a link to this thread but still haven't heard back....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
I heard the similar problem in TOEFL centers after introducing speaking section. It is really horrible when all people speak together at the same time, at the same place, and about the same tasks....

I guess there is very huge probability that your formal complaint will go to a dustbin...

I think there only one way to influence on the centers - through their revenue by public feedback.
It would be great to have here the list of all centers with GMATclubber's rate and comments

we would have: the list of the top-10 best centers, the list of the top-10 worst centers,
and might even add comments to, for example, GoogleMap. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q19  V23
Send PM
Good to know, I'll let my friends know who have to take the exam not to go to the Brooklyn one.

If you want to retest, you should consider the W 44th St location, it's off of 5th Ave. I'm coming from the Bronx so it was the closest testing center without subway transfers.

It is VERY quiet-- you don't hear any street noise and the proctors are fairly respectful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well today i took the exam and the proctors were a lot better...but just my luck there was a problem with the air conditioning unit and so when I got there feeling all prepared and confident, I soon lost all positive feelings when I saw people screaming at the proctors saying "I can't take a test under these conditions," etc. etc. It honestly sounded like jackhammers, as I guess repairmen were working in the floor above, so loud clanking would start and stop.

The proctors said they would generate an incident report for anyone so that if we started to take the test and found the noise to be too disrupting, then we could stop and have the scores cancelled without schools finding out that they were canceled. the catch was that we'd have to tell them BEFORE the end of the exam and the disturbance had to keep going on during the point when we decided to opt out... the proctor recommended we not do it but the three of us who were about to start decided to go ahead because otherwise we'd have to reschedule for weeks away from now...and I personally am going on vacation tomorrow and didn't want to reschedule.

the noise continued through the AWA section and half the math section, but then stopped. the math section was terrible, and to be honest i don't think the noise had anything to do with my performance since i had both ear plugs and headphones on to block out noise.... however, since the noise stopped i figured it would be too late to tell the proctor i didn't want to continue.

so that's that. the proctor also said the testing center shut down last november due to concerns about noise construction. there were people yelling who had just finished their tests (and clearly did badly), nervous energy all around, not to mention loud banging and still the same proctor with the LOUD LOUD voice (although he was less chatty this time during the test).

what a mess - NEVER TAKE THE EXAM AT THE BROOKLYN CENTER.

i ended up with a 600. was averaging a 640-690 on GMAT prep tests, so this was a disappointment, but to be 100% honest I don't think it was due to the noise.

i'm pretty bummed - hoped to get in on late round applications for 2008 but given the schools I want to apply to (UCLA, USC, NYU, Columbia) I think that would be a waste of time.

Thanks for responding to my original post; wish I had followed everyone's advice. Although sometimes we can't blame external factors on our final scores. There's always round two....

:evil: :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
AVakil wrote:

Took my GMAT there in Nov '06. The proctors were horrible. They were chatting away on the phone during my test and didn't even recognize my hand in the air. Also, when I took the test, Rego Park had HUGE CRT monitors.

My advice: Expect the worst.

Can someone chime in on whether things have changed for Rego Park?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
1. Take the test there
2. Get 760.
3. Shove that paper in their faces.
4. Apply to Harvard
5. Get in Harvard.
6. Shove the acceptance in their faces.

Or...you could just take it somewhere else.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts