Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 01:52
Can anyone recommend a quality calculator that will fit the bill not only for a basic statistics class, but for accounting and the MBA program in general?

I leave on a military deployment in a few days, so the first good response can be redeemed for a free lunch or round of drinks.......
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 05:19
You don't need one.

You'll do all your calculations on your laptop.

I have a regular old scientific calculator that I occasionally use when I don't want to use my laptop for a simple calculation.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 06:00
Agree. A good scientific calculator will be fine for those times you don't feel like pulling out the laptop to do some quick math. The complicated math in statistics or finance (there really isn't any complicated math in accounting) is all done in Excel or specialized stats programs like Stata or SPSS.

I don't think it's worth it to pay the extra $$ for a fancy graphing or financial calculator. I have an HP-12C and have never used any of the functions other than add/subtract/mult/div in class.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 06:59
HP 17BII+ is what I use. Easy and versatile, works fine for stats and finance courses. Depending on your program, you might be only able to use your calculator for exams, so it might pay to spend the extra $ vs. your typical scientific calc. The Solver capability is pretty key on exams where time matters--just saves lots of keystrokes.

I also have an HP50g, but it's overkill for the amount of algebra and calculus we do. And it's enormous. The former engineers in our class use their scientific calcs, but I wouldn't buy one new for b-school.
Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 05:37
Great advice, one and all.

I should have added a caveat to my post; I HAVE to complete an online "Statistics 101" class before Wharton will have me in (I got a B in stats back when Bob Dole was running for President). I have a classic, smart-kid-in-11th-grade TI-83 calculator that I assume will be fine for stats, but I don't mind buying something that will get a bit more use without unfolding the laptop and making microsoft noises in the library.

Sounds like the HP-17 will work for the 5 or so times I actually use it. Drinks are on me.
Current Student
Schools: Tuck - Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 09:49
I havent used the other HP calculators, but I would say get the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus instead of the HP12c. You enter in equations like you would on a normal calculator, it doesnt use reverse polish notation, which is kind of annoying if you arent used to it. I think some of the HPs have algebraic now, but I use the TI calculators.

Amazon has a very good deal on the BA-II Professional.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 27

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 14:20
Agreed. For the "real world" too, the BAII+ Pro is the way to go. I've found it great for both school (MAcc) and my job. You won't really need more beyond Excel even for stats when you're working; TI-83 should be sufficient if the highest level you need to go is for stats (TI-89 and -92 are better for calculus).

Ginetta wrote:
I havent used the other HP calculators, but I would say get the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus instead of the HP12c. You enter in equations like you would on a normal calculator, it doesnt use reverse polish notation, which is kind of annoying if you arent used to it. I think some of the HPs have algebraic now, but I use the TI calculators.

Amazon has a very good deal on the BA-II Professional.

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 15:51
RonMexico wrote:
Great advice, one and all.

I should have added a caveat to my post; I HAVE to complete an online "Statistics 101" class before Wharton will have me in (I got a B in stats back when Bob Dole was running for President). I have a classic, smart-kid-in-11th-grade TI-83 calculator that I assume will be fine for stats, but I don't mind buying something that will get a bit more use without unfolding the laptop and making microsoft noises in the library.

Sounds like the HP-17 will work for the 5 or so times I actually use it. Drinks are on me.

Your TI-83 will be fine for stats - anything in stats more complicated than algebra requires a laptop anyway. Plenty of people in my stats classes had those or similar graphing calculators and were just fine.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 16:32
Can't speak to MBA specifically but I have used the aforementioned TI BAII Plus Pro throughout the CFA process and it is much more friendly than the HP, without the bulk and superfluous functionality of a TI-83. Then again, you can't play Snake on a BAII...ah, memories. Brings me back to 9th grade.
Re: Calculator advice for stats / accounting / MBA program   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2010, 16:32