Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 14
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:25
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:46
vikramaditya wrote:
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?


I'm not willing to risk it. It's one of those things that if you catch an Adcom on a bad day, it might put a bad taste in their mouth. If you're only 5-10% over it shouldn't be overly difficult to shave that off.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:50
ACNguy wrote:
vikramaditya wrote:
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?


I'm not willing to risk it. It's one of those things that if you catch an Adcom on a bad day, it might put a bad taste in their mouth. If you're only 5-10% over it shouldn't be overly difficult to shave that off.


I concur. I'm abiding strictly by the word limits, I don't want them thinking I don't follow directions, I need all the help I can get :)

I've seen this debated here before and it seems to be a gray area. Some people think they give you the word limits and they mean it, so you shouldn't go over. Others think the extra five or ten percent isn't noticeable anyway and that certainly they wouldn't keep you out because of that if your app is good. Certainly they won't notice the difference if you're at 605, so don't make yourself crazy.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Singapore
Schools: Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 16:38
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

Anyone out there, who was able to get their hands on it?
_________________

http://mbatraveller.wordpress.com/

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 18:40
bpr81 wrote:
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

Anyone out there, who was able to get their hands on it?


They will mail you one if you request it.
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/TakeAction/Request_Information.aspx

Also check out the latests facts and figures:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/About_Our_Students/~/media/Files/FTMBA/FT_FactsFigures-09.ashx
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 14
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 19:37
highhopes wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
vikramaditya wrote:
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?


I'm not willing to risk it. It's one of those things that if you catch an Adcom on a bad day, it might put a bad taste in their mouth. If you're only 5-10% over it shouldn't be overly difficult to shave that off.


I concur. I'm abiding strictly by the word limits, I don't want them thinking I don't follow directions, I need all the help I can get :)

I've seen this debated here before and it seems to be a gray area. Some people think they give you the word limits and they mean it, so you shouldn't go over. Others think the extra five or ten percent isn't noticeable anyway and that certainly they wouldn't keep you out because of that if your app is good. Certainly they won't notice the difference if you're at 605, so don't make yourself crazy.


ACNguy & highhopes,

Thanks for the quick response.I have manages to cut down two of the essays to around 620 words.However,Im finding it extremly difficult to prune it further,without losing the essence of the story.

Can any current Kellogg students give their opinion on the word count limit?I have read that this is the first time that Kellogg has given a word limit to be followed.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 217
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 21:11
As hard as it may seem, I'd advise trimming essays down to the limit. When I was working on mine, I had the same concerns and found that cutting the final few words was always the hardest. Still, trimming the essays to the limits improved the final products by making them more concise and focused. So, trimming has two benefits: (1) it adheres to the rules set by admissions; and (2) it can make your essays more impactful.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

http://www.bschoolvoyage.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 113
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 22:29
Pretty much the same issue here.

I read the general rule of thumb was 5% tolerance (here is the issue with all the sources - I dont remember where I read this) i.e. 570-630 words for the 600 word essays. So I've curtailed myself to the 620 word range. Guess I should trim it to under 610.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 06:33
Frankly, I don't think 5% will make any difference. No one is going to sit and count how many words were in an essay.

When I wrote my essays, I tried to adhere to the word counts as much as possible. However, no one is going to penalize you if your essay is 585 words or 615 words as long as you have a good app. I think many of my essays were over the word limit by 5% or so.

OhThatMBA wrote:
As hard as it may seem, I'd advise trimming essays down to the limit. When I was working on mine, I had the same concerns and found that cutting the final few words was always the hardest. Still, trimming the essays to the limits improved the final products by making them more concise and focused. So, trimming has two benefits: (1) it adheres to the rules set by admissions; and (2) it can make your essays more impactful.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I do agree with this. You need to say the most in the least amount of words so try to make your essays as impactful as possible.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 182
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 07:32
Honestly, I can't believe that this is even up for debate. If the word limit is set at 600 words, then that's the limit. Not a suggestion. nor an approximation, but a LIMIT.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 08:25
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Here are two things I think almost everyone on here will agree on:
1) The adcom knows approximately what their word count should look like.
2) The adcom is not going to sit around counting words.

I'll stay just under the limit, mostly because of my constant state of paranoia :) It probably doesn't matter if you're 5-10 words over - it's a sentence. But to be honest, I found trimming the drafts I've written was pretty easy. I found I was constantly using passive voice which was eating my word counts. I also used words like really quite often. Taking these things out actually allowed me to ADD to my essay. So I think you can trim the essays, you might just need to put some effort in. Heck, if you send me your essay, I will get rid of the extra twenty words for you.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 67
Location: USA
Schools: Haas, Booth-PT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 09:18
riverripper wrote:
bpr81 wrote:
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

Anyone out there, who was able to get their hands on it?


They will mail you one if you request it.
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/TakeAction/Request_Information.aspx

Also check out the latests facts and figures:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/About_Our_Students/~/media/Files/FTMBA/FT_FactsFigures-09.ashx


Thanks for sharing the stats...
_________________

-----------------------------------------
My best friend gave me the best advice

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 16:24
I tried to stay within 5% of the word limits. I was over on most of my essays, but usually by only 8-12 words.

If you feel more comfortable staying within the limits, do that. If you think 5% isn't a huge deal, use that guideline. I think anything more than 10% over the word limit becomes noticeable so I'd avoid that :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 374
Location: India
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 11:11
Count me in for R1.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 04:28
So am I correct in assuming that you should submit Part I as soon as the application is available so that you can schedule your interview right away and then you can work on Part 2 until the deadline?
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 06:18
highhopes wrote:
So am I correct in assuming that you should submit Part I as soon as the application is available so that you can schedule your interview right away and then you can work on Part 2 until the deadline?


Yup! That's pretty much what I did.
PS highhopes - if you do the off-campus interview option, choose your location carefully. I was a bit paranoid about work people seeing me interviewing. I ended up picking Espresso Royale on State St as the downtown location worked best for my interviewer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347
Location: Evanston, IL
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 06:35
highhopes wrote:
So am I correct in assuming that you should submit Part I as soon as the application is available so that you can schedule your interview right away and then you can work on Part 2 until the deadline?


As soon as you're comfortable knowing your career goals and other little information that is required to put down in Part 1, I say that's a good idea. Especially if you know when you want to interview.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 113
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 08:12
Even if you fill out part one early it does not mean you will interview right away. It took a while for the school to get back to me regarding who my interviewer was, which was strange since I am in Chicago. My interviewer also had to cancel twice because of work conflicts.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 17:03
highhopes wrote:
So am I correct in assuming that you should submit Part I as soon as the application is available so that you can schedule your interview right away and then you can work on Part 2 until the deadline?


As everyone said, you should submit Part 1 as early as you can since that gives you a better chance to get an early interview. Mine was pretty early last year, even before the Part II was due. :D Although one drawback of that was that I had not finish my essay yet and the few questions she asked were the Part II essay questions.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Posts: 172
Location: East Coast
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 05:22
Does anyone know if Kellogg requires official transcripts directly from the university or is an upload of an unofficial transcript satisfactory? the website says:

The following are required for the 2010 application:
Academic transcripts from all colleges, universities and professional schools attended

...and count me in for R1 JD/MBA app. best of luck everyone.
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2009, 05:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
102 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! JordinT 1104 28 May 2009, 14:12
47 Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) bigfernhead 898 09 Sep 2009, 06:53
25 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! pmk157 1262 15 Jul 2009, 07:05
63 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants nink 913 02 Jul 2009, 06:55
43 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants kryzak 1236 13 May 2009, 00:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  136    Next  [ 2709 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.