Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 22:05
BigBad wrote:
asdert wrote:
Sign me in. I'm about to submit.

Quick question:
Does (500 words or less, limited to one page) means single space graphs? What about the cover letter, did you included Rod Garcia's address and such?
Thanks!

Yes, 500 words is approximately one single-spaced page. I included Rod's address and formatted it like a normal business letter. However, I only included the body of the letter in my word count.

Good luck!

Same here. I did not use the address as part of the word count.

I am curious if anybody submitted an extra third rec for MIT. I was really tempted to but decided not to in the end (after reading instructions not to submit additional information).
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 22:16
foodstamp wrote:
BigBad wrote:
asdert wrote:
Sign me in. I'm about to submit.

Quick question:
Does (500 words or less, limited to one page) means single space graphs? What about the cover letter, did you included Rod Garcia's address and such?
Thanks!

Yes, 500 words is approximately one single-spaced page. I included Rod's address and formatted it like a normal business letter. However, I only included the body of the letter in my word count.

Good luck!

Same here. I did not use the address as part of the word count.

I am curious if anybody submitted an extra third rec for MIT. I was really tempted to but decided not to in the end (after reading instructions not to submit additional information).

I'm not an expert, but I'd avoid including anything they didn't explicitly ask for. Save the third rec for a potential waitlist scenario...at that point you'd have nothing to lose by sending additional support for your application.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 09:56
MIT R2:

foodstamp
pursuittowardsmba
zimzamzum
labomba
pguard
intrinsicreality
praz
asdert
hardestadt
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 10:13
foodstamp wrote:

During my visit, this specific question came up. The adcom said that she would strongly recommend not to submit a third recommendation, and that a third letter would not be considered.

So from my view, it seems like it could only hurt you in the case of MIT.
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 11:53
Done with 10 mins left :) .. it felt nice after submitting last application of the season :)

~ashish
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 12:03
OMG!!! Stupid ISP.

Quote:
Application for Admission was submitted on 1/13/2009 3:00:00 PM E.S.T.

I'm in, right? :shock:
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 12:05
Good luck, guys. Hopefully you guys fare better than the R1ers.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 13:31
MIT R2:

foodstamp
pursuittowardsmba
zimzamzum
labomba
pguard
intrinsicreality
praz
asdert
hardestadt
sset009
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 14:56
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview a while ago- the interviewer was adcom and took maybe 3-4 pages of notes. They had studied my application pretty thoroughly and knew my stories well. I knew going in beforehand that MIT had a reputation of wanting to hear stories that weren't in your app- however my interviewer had quite a few questions about one of my accomplishments, and we delved into that for the majority of the discussion. The rest of the time was spent on generic questions:

Tell me about a time when you were on a team
Tell me about a time when you had to convince people to do an idea
Tell me about a time when you had an idea shot down

MIT was one of the most friendly interviews I had...extremely open, engaging, and really wanted to know "you". It's kind of annoying in my opinion that the interview happens wayyy after results for some schools come out, I myself have already been way out of the "interview/MBA" mindset for months now and was pretty unprepared for the interview. I guess this way they ensure that they only get the people who are die hard Sloanies, I myself loved the school but still could not bring myself to do the had core prep that I did for my other interviews. Hope this helps some of you interviewing for R1 and the rest of you in R2.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 15:13
k88 wrote:
I had my interview a while ago- the interviewer was adcom and took maybe 3-4 pages of notes. They had studied my application pretty thoroughly and knew my stories well. I knew going in beforehand that MIT had a reputation of wanting to hear stories that weren't in your app- however my interviewer had quite a few questions about one of my accomplishments, and we delved into that for the majority of the discussion. The rest of the time was spent on generic questions:

Tell me about a time when you were on a team
Tell me about a time when you had to convince people to do an idea
Tell me about a time when you had an idea shot down

MIT was one of the most friendly interviews I had...extremely open, engaging, and really wanted to know "you". It's kind of annoying in my opinion that the interview happens wayyy after results for some schools come out, I myself have already been way out of the "interview/MBA" mindset for months now and was pretty unprepared for the interview. I guess this way they ensure that they only get the people who are die hard Sloanies, I myself loved the school but still could not bring myself to do the had core prep that I did for my other interviews. Hope this helps some of you interviewing for R1 and the rest of you in R2.

Thanks a lot for your debrief k88. It is very helpful. What is your #1 choice school?
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 20:08
MIT R2:

foodstamp
pursuittowardsmba
zimzamzum
labomba
pguard
intrinsicreality
praz
asdert
hardestadt
coolrun

i dont post often but i did apply
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 13:46
I had my interview recently, which lasted a full hour! The adcom at my hub location was really nice and even made a few jokes. The whole interview was conversational and friendly in tone. At the end she left a lot of time for me to talk about anything else I wanted her to know and/or ask questions. I did both, and focused on why I'm a match for MIT (not a question she asked directly, but one I had prepared).

I felt well-prepared for the behavioral portion of the interview by coming up with examples ahead of time for the questions posted on ClearAdmit: http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... nInterview.

One difference - I didn't find that there were long periods of awkward silence. The interviewer made notes, but she kept chatting as she wrote so I felt comfortable keeping light conversation going.

She also told me the date of admit weekend...wasn't sure if this was a good sign, but certainly didn't see it as a sign that I had bombed the interview :-)

Good luck to R2 applicants!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, MIT

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 17:21
MIT R2:

foodstamp
pursuittowardsmba
zimzamzum
labomba
pguard
intrinsicreality
praz
asdert
hardestadt
coolrun
dp122008
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2009, 19:28
I had my interview recently as well. Having heard about the behavourial-based interviews, I tried to come armed with anecdotes by checking out the entries on ClearAdmit Wiki and also by reading the Accepted.com chat transcripts.

My interviewer was extremely warm and friendly, and the session was very conversational. Although I was really nervous, I felt at ease the moment the interview started. We chatted quite a bit, and questions included:

- Any major changes since my application was submitted
- Tell me about a time you created an innovative solution
- Tell me about a time you built a team with difficult team members
- Tell me about a time you went above and beyond what was expected of you
- Why MBA / Why now
- Why MIT / How did you learn of Sloan
- Post-MBA career goals
- Any questions (lots of time spent here)

In all, the 45 minutes just whizzed by. Minimal notes were taken during my session.

The wait to Feb 2nd is going seem like eternity!

Good luck to Round 2 applicants!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago, MIT, NYU, UCLA

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 00:48
Add me in to R2
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 02:04
Think MIT Sloan has arranged for an alternative loan through its Credit Union. The line of credit will be also open for international students, upto $170,000 - and though a co-signer gets you a better interest rate (Prime + 2.25% vs Prime + 2.75%), it's not a must.

http://web.mit.edu/sfs/loans/MITFCU_sloan.html

Does anybody have a sense of how much Prime usually is?

Hope I've got this right!
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 03:25
You're right, I recall hearing about this too from one of the online adcom chats but details weren't available back then!
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 06:42
collegesenior wrote:

From 2003-present, prime has averaged 5.9%
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 08:05
pguard wrote:
collegesenior wrote:

From 2003-present, prime has averaged 5.9%

Prime is currently very low--3.25%. 12 months ago it was 6.5%
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 20:55
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/loanpayments.cgi
Quote:
With a loan term of 25 years, you will still be repaying your debt when your children enroll in college

:shock:
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2009, 20:55