Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can high Gmat be a problem?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Can high Gmat be a problem? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2006, 16:11
Paul

I am completely confused. I have excellent stats, but not much work experience, and I need to either go for an Master of Finance or MBA next year. What should I do? What shools to target for MBA?

Profile:

Polish, finished small college in Midwest in 2006

GPA: 3.9, Magna Cum, Economics & International Management

GMAT 750

Work exp: two high profile internships and one econ research co-ap in DC in one of the most presitgues think-tanks in the world and in the leading international PR/public affairs firm- total 1 year, did 6 months of hard core econ research, assisted with two publications, attended number of conferences, etc Then I was a independent consultant. I went to South America for two months to conduct market research in wine industry for a company from Poland.

Extra: VP of fraternity, organized over 20 events in community service/pr area (innitiated all of them), managed over 50 people, won numerous awards, led effort to raise over $15,000 in 1 year (record for my college).
Founded and led a business fraternity on my campus, chapter of PBL, placed (top 10) in national business competition for college students (twice).

Overall: good extra, internships, GMAT, GPA...no full time work experience after graduation

What schools should i target?
What are my chances?

2) My Quant was 48, which is okay but nothing special. If I decide to go for a master in finance, should i retake the GMAT to get better Q (i can easily get 50-51, last time was sick), even thought my overall score will be probably similar? Should i go throught this effort, or will the MF programs not care much about 48 in Q, given my overall high score?

thanks in advance

cheers!

P.s. i posted a similar post before
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2006, 21:27
Wrong forum ;-)

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 05:31
oh, yeah...sorry, my bet
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
need advice [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 19:13
could you guys give me your opinion on my chances? How much would 1 year at McKinsey raise my chances of getting to ultra elite schools?

What are my chances as of today with following:

1) H/S

2) Kellog, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan

3) Virginia, Cornel, Haas, NYU

If I decide to appply for Fall 07, should I employ a "consulting" firm to help me better craft my aplication? Is there one that you guys could recomend?

What are my chances of getting any grants/scholarships from any of these schools if i apply now vs next year (after working for a year for M
Kinsey)??

Many thanks in advance for response. I know that i have many questions, but i am seriously confused.

lxa

p.s I know that you guys probably heard it thousands times, but the truth is that your book really is great, and i mean it!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 07:52
Expert's post
Much more important than having a year of McKinsey on your resume is showing WHAT you have accomplished on the job, whether it's at McKinsey or somewhere else. So, focus much less on the name and more on what you can personally accomplish on the job. That's what will increase your chances the most.

Based on the limited info I have, I think your chances of getting into at least one top-five school are pretty good. Don't hold your breath on grants or scholarships, though... They're pretty rare at the ultra-elite schools. My advice: Attend the school that you really want to attend (if you get in), not the school that offers you more money. Remember that this is decision will affect your career for the rest of your life!

Re: consulting firms, I strongly recommend Veritas, which is a partner of ours. They actually employ many of the principles that we outline in Your MBA Game Plan.

Good luck!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews