Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Can someone please evaluate my issue essay :) [#permalink]
gmat1220 wrote:
“Without new ideas, any society will stagnate. New ideas can only be introduced in a society that permits freedom of expression. Therefore, if a society is to thrive, all limits on freedom of expression should be eliminated.” - This is 6/6. Awesome !

What did you think about the Issue essay?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
6/6...kidding. Its 4/6. I think your first para is alright. From the second para I sense a scope shift. And less support to the argument. Go from strength to strength and keep ideas in increasing order of persuasiveness. The most persuasive one at the end and close strong. 8-)

mariyea wrote:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmat1220 wrote:
6/6...kidding. Its 4/6. I think your first para is alright. From the second para I sense a scope shift. And less support to the argument. Go from strength to strength and keep ideas in increasing order of persuasiveness. The most persuasive one at the end and close strong. 8-)

mariyea wrote:

Thanks! That's what I thought... I needed a 2nd opinion (other than my own :))
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Send PM
hey no problem, not at all. Glad it helped.

mariyea wrote:
Thanks! That's what I thought... I needed a 2nd opinion (other than my own :))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
“Some have argued that the salaries of corporate executives should be linked to those of their lowest-paid employees. This, they argue, will improve relations between management and workers, reducing costly labor disputes and increasing worker productivity. What these people overlook, however, is that these high salaries are necessary to attract the best managers, the individuals whose decisions have the greatest impact on the overall well-being of the company.”

===============================================================================

As per the issue, some people have argued that the salaries of corporate executives should be linked to those of their lowest-paid employees. They believe that this will improve relations between management and workers, reducing costly labor disputes and increasing worker productivity. However, the fact which has been overlooked is that high salaries are necessary to attract the best managers whose decisions have the greatest impact on the overall well-being of the company.
While each side has its strengths and weaknesses, I believe that the salaries of corporate executives cannot be linked to their lowest-paid employees practically. To further substantiate my viewpoint, I would like to state various reasons in the coming paragraphs.

Firstly, a corporate employee is one of the biggest assets to an organisation. It is him, who shapes the future growth path of an organisation. A corporate employee can either make or break an organisation and thus, recruiting and retaining one who is the most suitable to the organisation is a very important task of the company. Generally, such corporate executives are highly educated and possess a holistic approach in managing an organisation. Clearly, recruiting and retaining such employees cannot come cheap to an organisation. Considering the competition in the industry which is quite fierce in today's corporate environment, it is important that the corporate employee is paid well and his salary is in tandem with the industry standard.

Secondly, when an organisation pays its lowest-paid employees, it definitely has to do that as per the market standards. Under such circumstances, the organisation is already paying its employees what they are worth of. If they are not doing so, it boils down to attrition because of fierce competition within the industry. No organisation would want to have high attrition rates because the next employee who takes the place of an old once has to come at a costly price; both in terms of salary and knowledge. If this approach is assumed, the salaries are already as per the standards and thus the question of an employee being demotivated doesn't arises in the first place.

Some may argue that the employees see the salaries of corporate executives too high which is almost 100-200 times what lowest paying employees get. However, this argument is flawed since they should understand the value of a corporate employee, the kind of decisions he makes to grow an organisation and the way the brand of the organisation is built. Clearly, lowest paid employees are at fault if they ask their salaries to be linked to the salary of corporate executives.

In conclusion, we understand that the corporate executives bring a lot to the table of organisation and thus retaining them is very important. If that needs to be done, they have to be paid challenging salaries in tandem with the industry standard and the lowest paid employees shouldn't ask their salaries to be linked to the salaries of corporate executives
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

i have also written an essay on this topic in a mock CAT. this was written in 30 mins . Can anyone please please evaluate this.

Although some people argue that the salaries of corporate executives should be linked to those of their lowest-paid employees for improving relations between management and workers, reducing costly labour disputes and increasing worker productivity, I personally don’t agree with this point of view. I fully support the other side as high salaries are necessary to attract the best managers, the individuals whose decisions have the greatest impact on the overall well-being of the company. In this essay I will highlight various reasons and examples in the favour of my viewpoint.

The corporate executives are the people who are entrusted with the very important job of making the defining decisions which govern the state of the their company. These decisions can be very complex and difficult with a number of options available. In such situations only a person with a very high knowledge about the field in question and years of experience in that field is capable of taking such situations. An executive of such calibre cannot be expected to work for a salary comparable to the salary of a worker whose job is much simpler. The high knowledge level and and years of experience deserves equally high pay packages. The more the important work carried out, the higher should be the salary.

Another serious effect of linking the salary corporate executives to those of the lowest paid employees is demotivation of the employees. If all the salaries are linked, lower level workers may not remain motivated enough to climb the corporate hierarchy to gain promotions as there will be no incentive of huge advances in pay packages. Currently one of the biggest employee motivator is the prospect of higher wages earned by achieving promotion. As an example we should take a look at the C.E.O. of Pepsi, Indra Nooyi. Indra might be one of the highest paid CEOs in the world, but she has reached such a position by climbing the corporate ladder from the lower levels in the Indian division of Pepsi. Today she heads the worldwide operations of Pepsi. This effect directly negates the benefit this proposal desired to achieve, increasing worker productivity.

This factor can also effect the higher corporate executives as they will not have the burden to justify their extremely high pay packages which they had previously. They might start to lax in their work. And they may also start to look at other opportunities elsewhere, where they could get getter pay packages. And this could get frequent with every executive that arrives resulting in instability.

In conclusion, I would say that the salaries of corporate executives should not be linked to those of their lowest-paid employees. This will ensure that the best people are recruited to take the biggest and the toughest decisions and make sure that the motivation levels are maintained in the workers at lower level.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts