Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career seeker.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Career seeker. [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 16:14
Hi,

I am a 26 year old male current working as software developer looking for a career change into finance.

I am looking to be a securities analyst or portfolio manager with possibly also doing some financial writing.

I am fairly intelligent. I have for followed current events closely, particularly economic and financial news, for my entire adult life. I also enjoy econometrics and using mathematical methods to analyze questions. I have a blog on financial events. Finally, I have begun studying for CFA Level I, registered for the December exam and so far I love it and find it easy. Therefore it would not be a complete change in my life, but many of the things I have been doing to reflect my interest in finance have been on my own time, not in my formal job.

Background:
I have a BS in Economics and Political Science (3.3 GPA, public state ugrad), and I also did one year of PhD work in Political Science before deciding it was not for me. Afterwards I worked as Intranet Manager for a prominent political campaign during which I gained software skills, which has led me to my current position. As Intranet Manager I oversaw the campaign intranet from conception to retirement (18 months) in both managerial and technical roles, serving up to 1,000 people across 50 states. In my current software position I am not in a formal managerial role, but I am in a rapidly growing close-knit team, and several of my ideas have been adopted.

I have not yet taken the GMAT.

So should I do this? Is a career change advisable/feasible?

If so then which B-schools should I consider? My goal is to become a top financial analyst/securities analyst and eventually portfolio manager or research. I am not 100% sure yet. I want a job where I can do a lot of research and written reports and interact with clients. I want some exposure to both the buy and sell side if possible.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Career seeker. [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 19:50
Is there a reason 88 people have viewed this and no one responded?
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career seeker. [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:02
If you want to go into finance, traditional finance-heavy b-schools are Wharton, Booth, CBS, Stern, although you can't go wrong with H/S, either. I don't know enough about your background/experience to offer advice on which schools to apply to. That said, I don't really see anything that stands out in your profile, good or bad, which for top schools is probably not a good thing. A lot of IT people apply to b-schools, so there needs to be something that differentiates you from the rest of the pack.

This is what I would recommend based on the information I have, but a lot will depend on execution.

Reach schools: Booth/CBS/Tuck
Target schools: Stern/Yale SOM
Safety schools: Your pick

Again, I'm not an admissions consultant, so take it with a grain - or a pound - of salt.

Good luck!

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Career seeker. [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:53
you'll find that most people going into b-school are career switchers. the fact that you're starting your CFA is a plus since it shows you're interested in the field.

equity research seems to be a good fit based on your goals; just know that it will probably be a somewhat different recruiting process than the more common jobs such as consulting, banking and general management programs. from speaking to a few firms recently, it sounds like both the # of people applying to these jobs and the # of people hired (at least on the buy side) are very low. some firms may not even go to all the schools in the top 10 to recruit. for this reason, i'd focus my efforts on applying to schools that are on these firms' radar (or at the very least schools that are near a main office where you can travel independently to their offices during the year).

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career seeker. [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 09:45
I noticed the biggest problem you will face on this transition. You want to move into a research based job (as a PM or an analyst), yet you started on a research based life (PhD) and decided it wasn't for you.

I suggest you have a good answer for that, because people will certainly ask about it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Career seeker. [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 16:18
3underscore wrote:
I noticed the biggest problem you will face on this transition. You want to move into a research based job (as a PM or an analyst), yet you started on a research based life (PhD) and decided it wasn't for you.

I suggest you have a good answer for that, because people will certainly ask about it.

Definitely something to keep in mind.

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Re: Career seeker.   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2010, 16:18