Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: CFA and the app porcess [#permalink]
Adcoms are aware of how tough it is to attain CFA certification. Remember, you are not the first CFA in bschool. :wink:

P.S. - I don't have MS in Accounting. I have MS in Management Info Systems. Also, you have MS in Accounting, CPA and Level 3 CFA (or about to)? That's insane.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Adcoms are aware of how tough it is to attain CFA certification. Remember, you are not the first CFA in bschool. :wink:

P.S. - I don't have MS in Accounting. I have MS in Management Info Systems. Also, you have MS in Accounting, CPA and Level 3 CFA (or about to)? That's insane.

Yeah, I did the Master in accountng right after undergrad both at UM (so in esence 5th year). Then worked at PWC 2yrs (got CPA) then equity research..... This past year has been endless exams level I last dec level II this june, then GMAT, now apps. then Jan 3rd will start studying for level III.... Yes I'm going a little exam crazy, and work as been stressfull as well.... :boom . Fingers are crossed for my appy's
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
I'm also a CFA Level III Candidate. My use of it in the app was to 1) list it on my resume and (if applicable) the data forms, and 2) include it in 1 sentence in my goals essay (something along the lines of "the __ skills I've built at __ employer and my work towards the CFA designation have provided a foundation for my goals but I neeed ____ from your MBA program" or something generally along those lines. That was it. That's the full extent of my use of the CFA in my app. FYI my goal is to enter asset management.

As ninkorn has already mentioned (and there are long threads on this elsewhere but I don't feel like searching for them right now - you may want to try searching for it) the CFA is really not that important in the application process. Unfortunately, it holds very little weight. Your essays need to focus on leadership, teamwork, strengths AND weaknesses, blah, blah, blah because that's what the adcom is looking for. Don't talk about the CFA. Whatever benefit you're gonna get from the CFA you'll get it by listing it on your resume and giving it 1 sentence in your goals essay. Don't emphasize it any more than that (I don't think I even talked about it in most of my interviews except maybe for a second when we discussed goals, and often not even then).

EDIT: It looks like you already said this is what you're doing. Guess I should have read the whole thread :lol:. Anyway, if you're asking purely about the CFAs weight in the app process, I would say very little.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Listen to this man. He's a Tuck admit....he knows what he's talking about :-D
Damn Tuck!

IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I'm also a CFA Level III Candidate. My use of it in the app was to 1) list it on my resume and (if applicable) the data forms, and 2) include it in 1 sentence in my goals essay (something along the lines of "the __ skills I've built at __ employer and my work towards the CFA designation have provided a foundation for my goals but I neeed ____ from your MBA program" or something generally along those lines. That was it. That's the full extent of my use of the CFA in my app. FYI my goal is to enter asset management.

As ninkorn has already mentioned (and there are long threads on this elsewhere but I don't feel like searching for them right now - you may want to try searching for it) the CFA is really not that important in the application process. Unfortunately, it holds very little weight. Your essays need to focus on leadership, teamwork, strengths AND weaknesses, blah, blah, blah because that's what the adcom is looking for. Don't talk about the CFA. Whatever benefit you're gonna get from the CFA you'll get it by listing it on your resume and giving it 1 sentence in your goals essay. Don't emphasize it any more than that (I don't think I even talked about it in most of my interviews except maybe for a second when we discussed goals, and often not even then).

EDIT: It looks like you already said this is what you're doing. Guess I should have read the whole thread :lol:. Anyway, if you're asking purely about the CFAs weight in the app process, I would say very little.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the input my lt/st goals essays have a sentence very similar to the one below. IHateTheGMAT, how are you finding the Fin & Acc classes compared to the CFA
thanks,
SP

ninkorn wrote:
Listen to this man. He's a Tuck admit....he knows what he's talking about :-D
Damn Tuck!

IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Kudos
Here's a post I made awhile back:

post501027.html#p501027
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Doh! That sucks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Curious how Ibanks view the CFA when recruiting for associates from the top MBA programs?

Obviously the CFA is known more for Asset Management and Potfolio Management type roles and not so much in banking. But is there any value add of having the CFA if you want to give banking a shot?

I work in corp fin and have been pursing the CFA just because I am interested in the material, but I am thinking about going to a top MBA to break into banking. How is CFA viewed in those circles?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Kudos
MrPink78 wrote:
Curious how Ibanks view the CFA when recruiting for associates from the top MBA programs?

Obviously the CFA is known more for Asset Management and Potfolio Management type roles and not so much in banking. But is there any value add of having the CFA if you want to give banking a shot?

I work in corp fin and have been pursing the CFA just because I am interested in the material, but I am thinking about going to a top MBA to break into banking. How is CFA viewed in those circles?

I've wondered the same thing but have never gotten a definitive answer. What I have heard is that IB folks have little to no respect for the CFA (some even laugh at it and call it a waste of time) and some have even said it could be seen as a negative because the banks will think that your true interest is in asset management and you're just looking to do a short stint in IB before transitioning to the buyside. I'd be really interested to see if anyone else has any insights on this topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM