Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CFA respected by top programs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

CFA respected by top programs? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 21:39
I'm considering sitting for the June 2005 CFA level 1 exam. I just bought a set of the Schweser study guides, and was somewhat surprised to see the lack of depth of the material. It seems to be more or less a survey of a typical UG bus adm program (and only a portion of it no less). Considering that the MBA will overlap 99% with at least the level one curriculum, how do Adcoms and recruiters (finance) regard this achievement? Also, out of curiousity, how does it compare, in terms of rigor/respectability, to the CPA designation? THanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 23:11
Hi east, do not underestimate the CFA. Even the level 1 pass rate was only about 35%. I agree with you that the curriculum is not in depth but in breadth, it is quite astounding. Last summer, I bumped into a CPA who failed level 2 because of the accounting module :cry: . I would say the CFA is more highly regarded at schools like Chicago, NYU or Wharton but the Harvard or Standford of today do not give it as much esteem as the former more finance focused schools do.

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2005, 17:46
I agree that the CFA is well respected, especially in the finance community. I would say that the CPA has a bit more weight since it has legal significance beyond being a professional credential.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CFA level 1 vs GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2005, 13:03
For those who have done both, which one is harder to pass(CFA) or get a 700(in the GMAT)? Also, do schools like HBS and Stanford consider CFA level 1 a good parameter to compensate for a low Gmat? Thank you,

Yoda

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2005, 13:40
Offsetting a mediocre Q score seems possible, offsetting a low V score seems less likely.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CFA level 1 vs GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 00:23
Yoda,

By leaps and bounds, it is much tougher to get a 700 on the GMAT than it is to pass the Level I CFA examination.

For example, my girlfriend passed all three levels of the CFA exam consecutively, passed the CPA exam at the first sitting, and on the first try, she only managed to achieve a GMAT score in the low 600's.

Eastcoaster, I offer you a couple pieces of advice: Study ETHICS (it could mean the difference between passing or failing); and Level II is much more challenging and is consistent with material in a graduate program.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2005, 22:08
IMO, a CFA status is harder to achieve than a CPA status
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 13:02
My own personal thoughts on comparing the two (GMAT and CFA). The GMAT is more of an aptitude test (either you got it or you don't--studying will have less of a positive impact). In contrast, the CFA and presumably the CPA exams rely heavily on acquired knowledge and recall. Hence, study time will be highly positively correlated with test score. Having said that, if you're very intelligent, you should be able to accomplish both! :-D
Manager
Manager

update [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2005, 15:08
BTW, just took CFA L1 this Saturday. Pretty confident I passed. Personally, I wasn't as stressed about it as I expect to be for the GMAT given that every point counts on the latter. Unfortunately results won't be out for a couple months.

EDIT: Rec'd results & passed with flying colors.