Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

chances? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2006, 15:51
Hi all,

I recently became interested in getting a PhD in org. behav./management and wanted to know what my chances were for grad school applications:

* Major - Psychology, Minor - Mathematics
* Undergrad GPA: 3.8/4.0 with honors
* GRE: 660 V, 770 Q, 4.5 Writing Score (Haven't taken GMAT yet but if it's necessary, I will)
* LORs - I know at least 2 will probably be pretty strong
* I might be publishing a paper but on a topic not related to this area
* Oh and just in case this is important, Asian American female

I was in a honors research program for undergrad, but this was in a clinical psychology area, so I don't know that this is considered a bad thing or a good thing just because I did research? Also, I graduated in 3 years and I don't know if that's good or bad either?

I am currently working before applying to grad schools, this year in a job that's more administrative and next year maybe research related and wanted to apply for Fall 2008.

What types of schools do I have a chance with, if any? Thanks for your time!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2006, 16:14
Good that you are starting your prep so early.

1. It will definitely be good if you can get some research experience related to your research interest (or to those of the profs in the schools that you are keen in). Nevertheless, any research experience is better than none.

2. 3 years undergrad program shouldn't be an issue in most schools - furthermore, you graduated with honors. But check with them directly. I also graduated from a 3-year program and have no master. I contacted the schools and all gave me the ok to apply. Of course, I would be less competitive than other applicants who have master degrees.

Generally, based on your profile, you are definitely competitive for most schools. It is important that you do well for your GMAT to maintain your competitiveness.

For schools selection, I suggest you look at those that have faculty doing research in your interest. You can use the USNews or BizWeek B-School ranking as a starting point - but be aware that these are rankings based on MBA and not PhD programs.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 22:29
thanks for the help!! much appreciated.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 00:37
amoon wrote:
thanks for the help!! much appreciated.

You got a degree in Psychology and a minor in Math, which are crucial to PhD study in management. Many PhD programs and projects are more or less in relation to these fields. Try to highlight this in your personal statement. Completing an undergrad in fewer years is a two-sided sword. It shows that although you were smart enough to get out in fewer years, but you spent less time in the academia. I am in the same situation as you. I completed a two-year Master's degree in one year and tried to highlight the bright side in my PS.

You still have plenty of time to prepare for applications for Fall 2008. Get a high GMAT score, 700 for top 50 and 750 for top 20. Besides, your motivation and story are also very curcial to your application. You have to show your passions and persistence in the PS. Try to contact the professors under whom you are interested to work, and visit them to talk about your research interests to find out whether you are the best fit to their research before you apply. Good luck.
  [#permalink] 11 Jan 2007, 00:37