Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Clarification on SC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Clarification on SC [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 10:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Their was a question to check the tenses on a sentence.
Original Sentence : Because Cole wears a helmet when he struck on the head by a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

My solution : Because Cole had worn a helmet when he was struck on the head by a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

Correct solution : Because Cole was wearing a helmet when he was struck on the head with a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

So what is wrong with my solution?

Last edited by arora2m on 04 Sep 2009, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clarification from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 11:04
arora2m wrote:
On the Manhattan GMAT there was a question to check the tenses on a sentence.
Original Sentence : Because Cole wears a helmet when he struck on the head by a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

My solution : Because Cole had worn a helmet when he was struck on the head by a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

Manhattan GMAT solution : Because Cole was wearing a helmet when he was struck on the head with a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

U r solution changes the meaning....when coconut fals cloe was still wearing the helmet...
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Clarification from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 11:11
age wrote:
arora2m wrote:

Manhattan GMAT solution : Because Cole was wearing a helmet when he was struck on the head with a falling coconut 10 years ago, he escaped injury in that episode.

U r solution changes the meaning....when coconut fals cloe was still wearing the helmet...

Thanks age... that makes sense...
But should the sentence still not clearly state which event happened first?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clarification from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 11:29
arora2m wrote:
age wrote:
arora2m wrote:

Thanks age... that makes sense...
But should the sentence still not clearly state which event happened first?

No..as I said that will chnage menaing..if we say "had worn" then that process had completed ....may be he removed helmet after that..to escape from injury it is necessary to mention that helmet was there when he was stuc..i think I m able to expalin :roll:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Clarification on SC [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 00:30
Hi age , can you please explain why the simple past form of wear that is wore can not be used . I think simple past is even better as the progressive does not make sense fit well. 'was wearing a helmet' can be true even if the helmet was actually in his hand and he was just lifting his hands towards his head ....i thought you got my line of argument .
Re: Clarification on SC   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2011, 00:30