Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CMU Waitlist!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
CMU Waitlist!! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 16:31
Hey everyone..

I am a South Asian and briefly here's my profile..

BSc(hons.) from a top school . GPA: 3.21/4
GMAT: 710 (Q:49, V:36)
TOEFL: 283
Experience: 3+ years as a Credit Analyst (Relationship Bank) with a bank that recently went international.
Volunteer Work:
1. Asst. Project Manager for CARE an NGO that works for improving education standards.. for 8 months
2. Project Coordinator for a 4 month project to help the affectees of a major earthquake. My efforts included coordination between branches, collection of funds and dispatch of teams & goods.

With this profile I applied to CMU dual degree program MBA/MSCF in Round 2, since I really wasn't ready and took my GMAT on 23th Dec. 2006. Now I have been placed on the waitlist and I can think of a few reasons why that could be the case. Btw, I submitted my application online on 8th Jan. 2007 and I received an interview request on Jan. 15, 2007.

The interview, the essays and my recommendations went pretty ok. The only hitch was since I really didn't have much time and was rushing to get it done by the deadline..I mean literally because I sat down at night and the submission date was something like 10 hrs away, (Yes, I know a really stupid mess up but well I usually trust my nerves, my thought process and my expression) in any case I ended up making some 5 really stupid spelling mistakes in my essays ( despite repeated checking...I was really sleepy at the time!) Now they have put me on the waitlist and I really want to get in! And this time I'll definitely give them everything super ... I have two questions:

1. Do they conduct separate interviews for MBA/MSCF? Because i'm waitlisted on MBA but the MSCF decision is coming on March 30th.

2. What are the things that I could possibly do to get in!? Apparently they took 40% of the waitlisted ppl last year..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 04:17
60 views and no replies!!?

Some enlightened soul out there.. pls give me a piece of your mind.. :roll:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CMU Waitlist!! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 05:28
dimitri92 wrote:

2. What are the things that I could possibly do to get in!? Apparently they took 40% of the waitlisted ppl last year..

see my post re. WL mistakes here:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &start=360
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 15:43
You are a life saver man! One of the few..thank you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 18:12
I suspected that the reason they WL you is that Credit Analyst does not really show the leadership experience. I was a management trainee at a relationship bank and was a credit analyst for 3 months. So I know what that was like, and maybe the adcom knows too!

Anyway, if they permit, you could try sending them an extra essay. Maybe explain any new development in your professional career / community service activity that you did not mention in the app.

Well man, best of luck,

ghibi!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 22:21
GHIBI wrote:
Anyway, if they permit, you could try sending them an extra essay. Maybe explain any new development in your professional career / community service activity that you did not mention in the app.

Definitely! If the school permits sending updates - DO IT! I cannot overemphasize how important it is to show your genuine interest now, when @ WL. Also, see if you may obtain any additional recos, prefereably form CMU students/alumni. But, as with everything related to MBA app, quality above quantity!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 13:10
Hi helg

Thanks for the help. Btw, I was thinking along the same line and I do know a CMU alumni who did his Phd from CMU in Computer Science and I know him since he taught me Chemistry during A-levels. I can get a recommendation from him but since any recommendation regarding recent work experience is always given higher weightage, how do u think my recommender could play up my skills in the recommendation? Furthermore, the guy has been in the states since 1999 and that's when I joined university..so wat u suggest I work on?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 22:10
dimitri92 wrote:
Hi helg

Thanks for the help. Btw, I was thinking along the same line and I do know a CMU alumni who did his Phd from CMU in Computer Science and I know him since he taught me Chemistry during A-levels. I can get a recommendation from him but since any recommendation regarding recent work experience is always given higher weightage, how do u think my recommender could play up my skills in the recommendation? Furthermore, the guy has been in the states since 1999 and that's when I joined university..so wat u suggest I work on?

I think this CMU alumnus could speak of your academis achievements as well as of your personality. In my perception, WL reco does not have such strict guidelines as the application reco - it is the willingness of the alumni to champion your admission that counts.
  [#permalink] 20 Mar 2007, 22:10