Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 17:16
So, I'll almost certainly be taking the GRE in addition to the GMAT at some point in the next several months.

I'm under the impression that the GMAT quant section is similar to (content wise, not format wise) the GRE quant section except that it is probably slightly more competitive (i.e. harder to get a higher score relative to other test takers) because presumably a higher % of people with quant backgrounds take the GMAT than the GRE. Is this true? And would it be pretty much ok to just study for the GMAT quant section and not look at GRE specific quant materials? (obv GRE verbal is a different story).

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 285

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
On your first point, you are correct. The GMAT is very similar to the GRE in terms of the math you need to know. If you can score in the 90% on the GMAT then you should do very well on the GRE.

At the same time, it wouldn’t behoove you to be too cavalier about the differences between the two tests, especially because brushing up on the format of the GRE shouldn’t take more than a few hours.

A few important differences to keep in mind: the GRE provides an on-screen calculator (you will have to use for at least one problem) and there are a variety of question formats not found on the GMAT. Multiple answer questions state that any number of answer choices can be correct (e.g. you can have answer choices A-G and you will have to select the letter or letters that answer the question). Finally, there are also fill-in-the blank question. While the math should not be too difficult, solving a question without having recourse to the answers may force you to tweak your approach.

Again, spending a day going through the ETS revised GRE manual and/or taking the ETS PowerPrep test should be all you need:

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/ ... 2/download

Good luck, and let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 02:11
@ ChrisLele : Thank you for your comments. I am in a very similar situaition as the OP (preparing GMAT and then taking the GRE). My plan is to allocate 1 week to the GRE right after taking the GMAT. Would you consider this to be enough time to understand GRE's testing format and its strategies?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 285

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 11:15
Expert's post
@oblivision,

If you sufficiently prepare for the GMAT, one week should definitely be enough time for you to prepare for the GRE. The good news is that none of the question types I enumerated above are as tricky and complex as data sufficiency is. To see whether you have a strong grasp of the new GRE format, I recommend taking the Powerprep test.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 14:11
Great!, I am bookmarking this thread to come back to the Powerprep test once I finnish the GMAT.
Re: Comparing GMAT and GRE Quant sections   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2011, 14:11