Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 15:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consultant Needs Profile Reviewed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 795
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Consultant Needs Profile Reviewed [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 17:18
Hi All,

I was hoping to have my profile reviewed. My stats:

IT/Management Strategy Consultant
4 Years Work Experience
Have worked for both Booz Allen Hamilton & Accenture
Graduate of Virginia Tech, 3.0 GPA, Information Tech Major
-C's in my accounting and stat classes, but solid As & B+ in my IT Business classes.
Estimate a 650 for GMAT score

I was thinking of Darden, any advice where to apply? Targetting Fall '08 for entry.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1655
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Consultant Needs Profile Reviewed [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2007, 17:30
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Hi All,

I was hoping to have my profile reviewed. My stats:

IT/Management Strategy Consultant
4 Years Work Experience
Have worked for both Booz Allen Hamilton & Accenture
Graduate of Virginia Tech, 3.0 GPA, Information Tech Major
-C's in my accounting and stat classes, but solid As & B+ in my IT Business classes.
Estimate a 650 for GMAT score

I was thinking of Darden, any advice where to apply? Targetting Fall '08 for entry.


jimmyjamesdonkey,

Darden might be one of your long-shot schools, but you'll need strong leadership + impact stories in and outside of work given the profile and GMAT you gave me. You didn't mention goals, which are decisive in school selection, but generally speaking you would probably be competitive at schools like Wisconsin, Iowa, Washington Olin, Illinois etc.

Good luck,
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 795
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2007, 16:54
Paul,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm actually kind of surprised at the response. Is it the 650 GMAT score you believe would make Darden a long shot? My work experience at Booz Allen and Accenture are top-tier consulting firms, which I think would wow a selection committee. Darden only has a average GMAT score of about 677 last I checked. Would being a Virginia resident help?

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1655
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 10:08
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm actually kind of surprised at the response. Is it the 650 GMAT score you believe would make Darden a long shot? My work experience at Booz Allen and Accenture are top-tier consulting firms, which I think would wow a selection committee. Darden only has a average GMAT score of about 677 last I checked. Would being a Virginia resident help?

Thanks.


I actually don't think being a Virginia resident helps you that much and perhaps even hurts you a bit, because Darden sees itself, rightfully, as a national institution so it probably has a rough cap on the number of in-staters it takes. Like most schools it probably gives slight favor to people from more exotic places. Your BA and Accenture credentials are assets, but not sure in and of themselves they will "wow" Darden's adcom because consulting is a very common feeder industry for B-schools and Darden is a selective school so they see a large number of applicants from "name" companies like yours. If you were an underrepresented minority (in U.S. terms), from an unusual location, or perhaps even female your GMAT score would be competitive at Darden, but if you are not then you are probably somewhat under the "competitive" category IMO. The fact that Darden's selectivity rate is generous for a school of its caliber may help you. So if not a true long shot, Darden for you is definitely not IMO "money in the bank" (based on what you've told me of yourself). You may want to check out Darden's admissions chatswith Accepted.com.

Good luck,
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 09:56
In terms of selectivity at Darden, they indicated in a podcast that applications were up 35% this past year (after increasing 10-15% each of the prior years) so admit rates will be down, and they indicated at Darden Days that average GMAT should be around 700 this year, which would be more or less equal to other similarly ranked schools.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1655
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 15:01
pelihu wrote:
In terms of selectivity at Darden, they indicated in a podcast that applications were up 35% this past year (after increasing 10-15% each of the prior years) so admit rates will be down, and they indicated at Darden Days that average GMAT should be around 700 this year, which would be more or less equal to other similarly ranked schools.


Pelihu,

Thanks for noting that. Darden has been a "value stock" for some time. It's good to know the market is catching back up with it.
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile review: IT consultant with 10 years work experience JituGIS 2 11 Feb 2013, 13:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation & Consultant Needed!! MBA4LIFE 5 08 Jan 2013, 15:00
Need a Profile Review gayathriz 2 28 Feb 2012, 10:27
1 Admission Consultants- Need review/info mbafall2011 1 20 Oct 2011, 12:00
Engineer needs help. Profile Review iamnaeth 3 09 Mar 2007, 12:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Consultant Needs Profile Reviewed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.