Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jun 2015, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cracking SC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Cracking SC [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 20:28
Hello everybody,

I am an international student trying to reach the 700 barrier. As an electronic engineer, I've got good math skills but poor verbal skills. In addition English is not my mother tongue so things get even more complicated.... I took the test two years ago and obtain 670 (Q48,V34). At that time I decided it was not time to apply since my work experience had not been as good as I would have liked it to be. But three weeks ago I decided that time had come and started preparing the whole process to be admitted in one of the top BS. I am not applying now but in one year so I have enough time to prepare all the stuff. The first thing I have to do is to reach the 700 score at GMAT so I have spent quite a lot of time on it during the last two weeks. After these two weeks of hard study I am at a point of my preparation in which I think I can not make progress in some areas. I think I can improve my quantitative score a lot and I am doing so. If things go as I expect I will reach 49 or 50 on quants. However I am a bit stuck at verbal, especially at SC. When practicing (I always control time) with 1000SC I only get 80% of the questions correct and I really want to improve this area since it seems to me very important to save time that I will need spend on RC. CR goes a bit better (85%), but like with maths, I am making much progress. I haven't touched RC yet but I will do very soon, as soon as I find the way to crack SC.

Therefore, my question is.... how can improve my SC skills? People say Manhattan SC guide is a good resource but maybe I am not at the point of using this guide. Maybe MG for SC is not as useful for me as it is for someone just having his first contact with GMAT sentences. I'd like to know whether you guys consider that buying this guide will help me to crack the SC.

Thx a lot for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Cracking SC [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 18:59
First of all, your English is excellent. Really solid. So that will help you a great deal, on the test and in your essay apps. So feel good about that!

I would say you probably need to work more on English grammar knowledge to master SC. Search Amazon for "Strunk and White" and you'll find the best grammar guide out there. It would really help you.
Re: Cracking SC   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2008, 18:59