Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden vs NYU

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 08:08
Would you choose Darden or NYU?

Areas of focus: Marketing or Consulting

Darden is currently ranked higher than NYU in Business Week and Forbes. Forbes ranking is mostly based on ROI so a 17 ranking for NYU is a bit disconcerting. NYU has the New York advantage but Darden isn't too shabby being close to DC.

Any thoughts?
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

Re: Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 08:28
Overall I do not think you can go wrong, I'd say either one is great for both but I'd give the edge to NYU for Marketing and Darden fro Consulting.

NYU's core consulting companies seem to be Booz and Deloitte, which are awesome but I know Bain, McKinsey recruit at Darden. Alot of my friends from the veterans network end up at the Bain, Atlanta office.

I guess it all depends where you want to live and work and how you like to learn best - case method v. experiential learning/lecture

But either way, those are both phenomenal schools
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 08:47
Baje wrote:
Would you choose Darden or NYU?

Areas of focus: Marketing or Consulting

Darden is currently ranked higher than NYU in Business Week and Forbes. Forbes ranking is mostly based on ROI so a 17 ranking for NYU is a bit disconcerting. NYU has the New York advantage but Darden isn't too shabby being close to DC.

Any thoughts?

It really depends also on what kind of place you'd like to live in. Charlottesville is awesome in many ways, but it's very different from New York, and I wouldn't classify it as close to DC (2 hours away, best case). If you like mountains and college towns with great restaurants and low cost of living you can hardly beat C-Ville. But it's not for everyone.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 10:25
Thank you both for your input. I'm leaning towards Darden because of the lower cost of living and Charlottesville is quite picturesque so the two years would be a pleasant experience.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 10:29
Baje wrote:
Thank you both for your input. I'm leaning towards Darden because of the lower cost of living and Charlottesville is quite picturesque so the two years would be a pleasant experience.

Then here's a tip on a place to live: http://www.ivygarden.com/home.htm

It's close to the b-school and lots of the MBA and law students live there. I lived there part-time for two years, and have good memories.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 11:52
one thing to consider for consulting recruiting is the relative competitiveness of the local office you're applying to. The NYC branches of most of the top consulting firms (M/B/B as well as others) are likely to have more applicants than their DC counterparts, largely due to the location. This makes the recruiting process a bit more tricky, since you will apply directly to a main office

GMAT Debrief

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Darden vs NYU [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 06:35
wp06 wrote:
Overall I do not think you can go wrong, I'd say either one is great for both but I'd give the edge to NYU for Marketing and Darden fro Consulting.

NYU's core consulting companies seem to be Booz and Deloitte, which are awesome but I know Bain, McKinsey recruit at Darden. Alot of my friends from the veterans network end up at the Bain, Atlanta office.

I guess it all depends where you want to live and work and how you like to learn best - case method v. experiential learning/lecture

But either way, those are both phenomenal schools

Bain, McKinsey and BCG all recruit at NYU. That said, I don't think you are facing a decision that will go wrong in any way.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: Darden vs NYU   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2011, 06:35