Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Defer acceptance?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 09:43
Hey guys! Do you know how to ask the Adcom for more time to get back to them after an admission has been offered? This is because I probably wont hear back from my other schools before that date. Thanks!!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 557 [0], given: 114

Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 10:13
From what I've heard, admissions will not defer acceptance unless it is some type of medical emergency. Essentially you'd be taking a spot from someone qualified on the waitlist only to hear back from other schools. It will show them that this schools is not your #1 choice. If I were in your shoes I'd probably put the deposit down for accpetance and wait to hear back from the other schools. I know this is expensive, but if you are seriously considering this school as a choice, you really shouldn't defer.

Anyone else have any ideas for him?

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 20:20
Anirudh,
What happens if you don't get an acceptance from the other schools? If you have already deferred this acceptance (assuming that the adcom accepts it) then you will left with very few options. If you are ready to join this school in case you don't have any other admits then accept the offer and deposit the fees. In case you get an admit from a better school you will lose your deposit. Look at the bigger picture .. you will be going to a much better school and the lost deposit is a small fraction with respect to the total expense for the MBA program. I would think of it as an insurance to peace of mind.

anirudh316 wrote:
Hey guys! Do you know how to ask the Adcom for more time to get back to them after an admission has been offered? This is because I probably wont hear back from my other schools before that date. Thanks!!

Best,
Priya | Admission Consultant | Email: contactus@indusminds.com
IndusMinds Consulting | Free Initial Consultation
BusinessWeek Interview on Essay Writing Services

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 23:34
great feedback guys! thanks
I know that I can pay the deposit and then wait for other schools. This would probably be the easiest option, but I was wondering if there was a way that I can request them to push the deadline back. This way, if I get rejected by the other schools, I can just accept this. If I get accepted by another better school, I would not have to pay for this one.
Therefore, my question was that is it OK to take a chance and email the school for more time, and with what reason? If they agree, good for me, and if they don't agree, I don't think they will take back their offer just because I asked them for more time, will they?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 495 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 02:37
Expert's post
They will not take the offer back if you ask for more time. But 99% they will not give you more time unless it's a family emergency of some sort. So you'll likely just have to pay the deposit and bite the bullet. But you can always try.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Insead '14 (A)
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 05:14
Hi,

As I mentioned earlier, I had applied to INSEAD for the August 2014 intake but got this response:

The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course.
Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.
Congratulations and welcome to the worldwide INSEAD community!
Admissions Requirements
As your admission to the programme is conditional on you gaining additional work experience, please provide an update on any new aspects of your professional, international, academic or personal profile. This information will need to be sent to your Admissions Officer by 1 June, 2015.

I have been trying to understand what exactly this means but have not been able to get through anyone in a similar situation. as anyone received a deferred admit before? What does this mean? Is this an almost-admit? I don't mind waiting another year (it in fact fits in better in the long run) but I want to know what my chances of getting reject next year are? What should I do? I am confused and re-evaluating my plan considering the position I am in. Please let me know if you have or if you know someone who has been admitted conditionally - would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 495 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It means that you are in dude! Congrats. Enjoy your next year of work.
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Insead '14 (A)
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Defer acceptance? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 03:56
JonAdmissionado wrote:
It means that you are in dude! Congrats. Enjoy your next year of work.
:)

Thank you, Jon! :D
Re: Defer acceptance?   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2014, 03:56