Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Define Teaching Position vs. Research Position

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Define Teaching Position vs. Research Position [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2008, 18:00
If a person receives a 'teaching position' does that mean that he/she will not have to do ANY research? Also, what are the requirements (general) of a 'teaching position'? Lastly, what is the pay for a 'teaching position' at an average (not top 10 school)?

I plan to obtain a PhD in Management.

Last edited by aspiring1 on 01 Jul 2008, 14:33, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Define Teaching Position vs. Research Position [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 16:49
Hmmmm. WEll teaching positions mean lots of teaching. Like maybe 4-5 classes per semester or more. Maybe 2-3 preps (different classes)

Salary can vary widely---small community type college can be as low as $40-50K WITH a PhD. Others schools that are large institutions AACSB accredited can pay $100k+ with an PhD depending on the school. AACSB accredited schools have to have a high number of PhDs, so teaching with just an MBA is not always an option. A teaching position with an MBA might max out at around $60-75k.

I have a friend at a large state "teaching" school with an MBA program, he is at $130+ as an assistant w/tenure--he teaches 3 and 3, I believe. No summer support.

Research schools (for instance, with PhD programs) invariable pay much more, however. But you are expected to be very productive in research. But even a research school will sometimes employ fantastic teachers, generally non-tenure track.

Hope that helps
:-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Define Teaching Position vs. Research Position [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 04:19
Thank you. If I choose a 'teaching' school and have a PhD, will I have to conduct any research (I like research, just do not care much to be under the pressure of 'publish or perish')? And, what pay and job opportunities should I expect? Lastly, under what circumstance (type of institution), opportunity (lecturer, assistant professor, professor of professional practice), and pay should I expect if I have a PhD and do not want to be under the pressure of 'publish or perish'? I really appreciate the help.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

Re: Define Teaching Position vs. Research Position [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 09:28
Research Position - lots of pressure, a lot of people cannot take it, many are let go after 3 years, many make it to the 5th year and are denied tenure (if you made it past 3 years, there is a pretty good shot that the department will support you - unless of course something bad happens).
You typically teach 3 courses over the year (2 in fall, 1 in spring) and may have the summer to yourself (you get paid for 9 months, the salary can obviously be distributed over 12). Take the pressure of completing your PhD and multiply it by 10 - probably a good approximation. Oh, make sure your wife or girl friend understands what you are getting into. If you want a research position, work for a rock-star academic and start very very early. You will be absolutely miserable for 4(or more) years, but you won't regret it if you really want a research position.You would have to be very very good at research to survive in a research position. How would you know? - well, if you can publish before graduation, thats one good sign. If you have a detailed plan of how you plan to get tenure, thats another great sign. If your advisor still smiles at you after the proposal defense, thats a really great sign.

Finally, publish or perish is the only model where you are rewarded for your research. If you like research, but have a job in a teaching school, you will not be able to find time for research.

Teaching Position - Less pressure, you typically teach 3 courses per semester or more. relatively laid back and if you enjoy spending time with students, this is for you. A lot of faculty become sick of teaching after a while and I perfectly understand why, especially if you are teaching a core course that not many care about or have to deal with undergraduate students all the time. I am not sure if you are required to do research at all.
Re: Define Teaching Position vs. Research Position   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2008, 09:28