Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Devastated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Devastated [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 08:18
Hello

This is my first post on this website. I am a weak math student and after 3 months of prep gave the GMAt and crashed in Math. I am back on my feet now and attempting it again in sometime.

But I just dont know what to do with my math, I have done OG,Kaplan,Princeton and iam brunt out. My major weakness is DS and mainly number properties and algebra I am trying to develop a study plan that will help me concentrate on these areas but dont have clue where to get material to parctice these areas.

Any suggestions would help also how can I get a hold of the 10th edition OG as I have been using the 9th edition.

Thanks

Amit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 08:53
First of all dont hurt yourself. Your drive and interest is all positive and you'll do well. If its math for you, its verbal for me or specific topic for someone else. So, all have weak areas that need attention.

I am unsure if you had a personal tutor or was taught in a classroom. This can be of help if not attempted earlier.

Secondly, stay with the club. Since you had some preparation already and are familiar with the topics/fundamentals - you can choose to solve each problem and participate actively, you'll see improvements. The Challenges are great - irrespective of the score you'd get - there is learning.

:circle . Welcome to the club.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 11:03
As venksune said, everyone has a weakness, verbal is the one for me.
But, do not get disheartened.

If you think you have identified your area of concern and that is DS and number properties, half the battle is already over. You already know what you are lacking and this makes your job much more easier. Now, you can really concentrate on these areas and give more time to solve more problems. You can do OG in such a way that you can, may be, club all the problems associated with number properties together, photocopy them. Also, copy similar problems from PR, Kaplan, Arco and all the books you can find. This way you can have a collection of these problems.

Now, if you solve each one of them and see what is giving you trouble you will develop a lot of confidence. Sometimes, it is just seeing a collection of problems in the area you need improvement gives you a hell of a lot of confidence.

-buds
Intern
Intern

Re: Devastated [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 14:36
amitsood wrote:
Hello

This is my first post on this website. I am a weak math student and after 3 months of prep gave the GMAt and crashed in Math. I am back on my feet now and attempting it again in sometime.

But I just dont know what to do with my math, I have done OG,Kaplan,Princeton and iam brunt out. My major weakness is DS and mainly number properties and algebra I am trying to develop a study plan that will help me concentrate on these areas but dont have clue where to get material to parctice these areas.

Any suggestions would help also how can I get a hold of the 10th edition OG as I have been using the 9th edition.

Thanks

Amit

hello amit,

i have exactly the same weaknesses......integer related problems....especially DS on number properties etc. done kaplan, arco and some of OG...still many questions to go. this is how pointed out my weaknesses:

1. i used the YMGP gmat tool for 10th edition of OG. it lets you categorize each question type (PS, DS) into specific topics. for example, you can do a search on ALL number properties questions in DS and PS format. i did this for every topic and studied one topic at a time. done with all arithmetic related problems so far. i attached the tool. it is for free by the creators. works with 10th edition as well as with 10th edition revised 2003.

2. once i pointed out my weaknesses, i decided to get to the roots of understanding the concepts. stuff that goes beyond kaplan and arco teaching you the easy number properties. this is where i am right now. done a lot of search on good math sites and the one that provides me with most of the info i need is purplemath.com. it is an algebra site, however, it also helps to nail down other topics. another good review of math can be found on http://www.novapress.net/gmat/math.html . it is rather a general review though and not specific like purplemath. does give you a few examples of number properties stuff however..

3. next stop will be the forum. as soon as i feel that i turned weaknesses into strengths (or at least become better). will try to solve every question i see here.

come and solve forum q's when you do feel confident about having at least medium skills. boosts your confidence too. when you cannot solve the hard stuff, go back to your concepts, nail down again and again and again until you finally understood it and then P R A C T I CE on questions.

if you need more real gmat questions, you may get gmat plus and vstudy since they are based on old paper tests. when you're stuck, post the problems on the forum.

and if you are aggressive enough, check out chinese sites where test takers post memorized questions. i know this may be an issue here, however, i believe people do this all the time.......checking out chinese sites, posting the Q's here and discussing the matter. or have you seen a kaplan and arco question here yet?

one more thing. i tried to attach the tool here. if it does not show up, send me a message and i will email it to you. janjanston@yahoo.com

cheers
JJ
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2004, 14:38
.....file is not attached for what ever reason. maybe file size..

so send me an email/message
Intern
Intern

Thanks for the Posts [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 04:32
Thanks to all who replied, it really helps.

Great advice and I will incorporate most it soon. Jan I have the tool you mentioned what I am just unable to get a hold of is the OG 10th Edition I have the 9th edition and have done most of it. Does anyone have a link where the 10th edition is posted, it would really help

Thanks

Amit
Intern
Intern

Re: Thanks for the Posts [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 07:28
go for ebay. that shall be the easiest. make sure you get the 10th edition revised in 2003.

amitsood wrote:
Thanks to all who replied, it really helps.

Great advice and I will incorporate most it soon. Jan I have the tool you mentioned what I am just unable to get a hold of is the OG 10th Edition I have the 9th edition and have done most of it. Does anyone have a link where the 10th edition is posted, it would really help

Thanks

Amit
Re: Thanks for the Posts   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2004, 07:28