Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 19:36
Hey guys!

Bad news is that I got dinged by the 2 schools that I applied to for the Fall semester. Stern and Columbia. My GMAT scores were not great (630). I want to give both schools one more try and enroll in the part time program for Stern and full time Spring start for Columbia.

Any tips on what should change if I want to improve my chances of getting into Stern and Columbia Spring start ? Is there any way I can get some feedback from the Adcom? Does it make sense to get my admission packet reviewed by a consultant ? Any direction will be helpful

I am planning re-take my GMATs.

Thanks/
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 20:03
I'm no expert, but I think that applying again in the spring would be a stretch. For a re applicant the schools will want to know what you have done since your last application to become a stronger candidate. I would think that you would need at the very least, a full year to demonstrate your personal and professional growth.

That said, one of the things you should probably work on is your GMAT. You would stand a better chance at top schools if you could at least break 700.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 00:08
I'd agree with re-taking the GMAT. 630 would be on the very low side for either of these schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 07:38
Thanks guys! The first step is naturally improving the GMAT scores. Does it make a difference if I apply to part time in spring? Do I have a better chance of getting in vs the full time program? Stern only has a part time program in spring and I am specifically interested in their luxury marketing program which is not offered by other schools. I am also thinking of getting my applications evaluated by a consultant.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 577 [0], given: 114

Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 08:40
You would definitely have a better shot at the part time program, but you must realize that your GMAT could litterally be getting your application tossed out. Applying to those programs (some of the best in the world) with a 630 GMAT is definitely a huge challenge. Most likely you would have to bring something extremely special somewhere else in your application, including but not limited to: underrepresented minority, veteran, incredible story of hardship, sex, age, work experience. If you are a normal applicant, your 630 could litterally keep them from reading your application. I don't mean to sound harsh, but there are dozens if not hundreds of applicants that get rejected every year from top schools with GMAT scores of 750+. There application just wasn't strong enough. With a 630, you are outside of the 80% range (on the bottom side) for both schools you applied to (part and full time), which puts you in a very challenging spot to begin with. Look a these pages:

calling-all-nyu-stern-fall-2012-applicants-116635.html
calling-all-2012-columbia-gsb-applicants-113136.html

You'll see on the distribution graph of GMAT and GPA, there are very few people that even applied with less than a 650. There isn't one person on GMAT club that was accepted (yet) to either of those schools with a GMAT less than 680. I would recommend that you spend all your time, money, and resouces improving your GMAT, taking a GMAT course, or buying GMAT material first before you hire any consultant to help you get into your schools. Your GMAT is the limiting factor right now. Although you have a better shot at both of those part time programs, your GMAT is still going to be a significant weakness in your application. You would drastically improve your situation if you were able to improve your score by 50 points, or even get up to 700. That being said, if you are an extremely special applicant in other areas, maybe you are the exception to the rule.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 08:58
I don't think you can apply to both the FT and PT programs within the same academic year. You will have to wait for next year's intake and only pick one program.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 09:04
I agree... I wouldnt even think of applying to CBS until I got at least a 700...Also, career trajectory is huge for these schools. How do you stand in term of promotions? How have your extra curriculars been in the past couple of years?

I would say that most ad consultants offer a free initial consultation so I would recommend you picking one company and see what they say.

Since none of us have seen your background or your essays it is difficult to judge where you went wrong. We can suggest you improve your gmat... however, even if you do a different outcome is not guaranteed.

The PT program is a bit more laxed for Stern but it is segregated from the FT program and I believe you dont get access to their recruiting.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern

Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 20:11
This all great feedback. Thank you all...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 10:15
We don't know anything about your profile except your GMAT score. So you could have been dinged for one of a thousand reasons.

But that said, both of those schools are GMAT obsessed. The middle 80% at CBS is 680-760. I would imagine that less than 5% of the class has below a 650. Start there, retake the GMAT. Then consider posting a more in-depth profile on gmatclub or scheduling a free initial phone call with a consultant.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Dinged -- Need Feedback Stern/Columbia   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2012, 10:15