Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does this make sense?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 10:18
I've always considered SC my strongest area - out of the whole SC section in OG11, I've gotten maybe 15/138 wrong and it just seems to come naturally to me. After taking my last CAT this weekend, I broke out the overall percentages of RC/CR/SC questions I was getting wrong (across all previous CATs too) and was shocked to see that SC has been my biggest downfall.

Actual test is next Monday - does anyone have any ideas on what I can do before then, or why this may be happening? Anyone have similar experiences?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 10:37
I think your content knowledge is there, you just need to learn how to apply it during game time which is a whole other skill in my opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 1347 [0], given: 2

Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 11:06
Tangaroo wrote:
I've always considered SC my strongest area - out of the whole SC section in OG11, I've gotten maybe 15/138 wrong and it just seems to come naturally to me. After taking my last CAT this weekend, I broke out the overall percentages of RC/CR/SC questions I was getting wrong (across all previous CATs too) and was shocked to see that SC has been my biggest downfall.

Actual test is next Monday - does anyone have any ideas on what I can do before then, or why this may be happening? Anyone have similar experiences?

I experienced a similar thing. I attribute it to the fact that the SC questions level in OG11 are medium at best, while on the real thing if you do well the questions start to get harder and harder and so do the SC ones. Maybe in the paper based tests (off which OG11 is written), the SC were never meant to be difficult questions.

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 12:14
Yes, that is quite possible

I was taking the GMATPrep yesterday and got 5 SC wrong out of 8 while may usual ratio is 1 out of 5. However, I've made almost no mistakes in RC and CRs that's way I have to agree with the previous comment. The better you do these sections, the more idioms and other pretty things you will get!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 13:08
Look at the difficulty level of the questions you got wrong. I think Manhattan cat provides that information. Score is a factor of number of correct answers and difficulty level.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 02:50
I am almost 100% sure that the CAT you are talking about is GMATprep2. If that's the case we are experiencing similar trouble. I have taken GMATprep many times and I found that GMATprep2 contains some really tedious SC's making its verbal part significantly harder than that of GMATprep1. I dont now neither why that is happening nor the correlation among GMATprep1, GMATprep2 and actual test, this is rather my observation as an experienced GMATprep user.
Also, I found that GMATprep2 has math section that is slightly (but very, very slightly) easier than that of GMATprep1. Maybe it is not easier at all but contains some questions that I'm comfortable with. Again, without any deep analysis of the cause, I observed that it is slightly easier for me to obtain Q51 on GMATprep2 than Q50 on GMATprep1. Of course, this difference is not so obvious and so severe as for verbal parts of 1 and 2. Verbal is, IMO, much harder on GP2.
Should this worry us? I don't know. I have no clue what is more representative of the real deal. Has anyone experienced something similar?

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 12:15
interesting observations...thanks!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 13:30
Quote:
I am almost 100% sure that the CAT you are talking about is GMATprep2.

Yes, that was GMATPrep2
Manager
Manager

Re: Does this make sense? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2008, 07:42
Yes I was speaking about GMATPrep2 also! It was weird b/c I did so well on both CR and RC this time and I suck at those usually...I guess I can attribute that to the extra studying I've been doing on Verbal, but I was really concerned about the SC. Thanks for your input!
Re: Does this make sense?   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2008, 07:42