Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Effective Quant Practice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Effective Quant Practice [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 09:45
I don't know if anyone else feels the same (not including some of the Diagnostics questions of course) but the OG problem sets for PS and DS seem soooooo much easier than what I would expect from the real GMAT (even the "tougher" questions at the end). I feel I have wasted my time going through these problems. Does anyone know if most of these are 500 level problems? I am shooting for over 700 and going to do more Gmatclub challenges and the MGMAT question banks (which was sooo much more challenging) but I hear from some that these are not as representative of the test of course. So I want to make the most of my time left for the test but don't want to waste time doing unnecessary practice. Anyone have insight and advice? Thanks in advance.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 12:18
Have you tried taking a GMATPrep yet?

After taking my first GMATPrep, the majority of the problems I encountered were def. easier than MGMAT and anything on the OG Diagnostics.

There were a few problems that could be considered MGMAT level, but nothing too extreme. My last Q was a 48 so I think I saw many of the tough problems.

However, many of the OG probs are not representative of at least the GMATPreps. Make sure you do the higher number problems. Most of the time, these problems are of the more difficult problems in the OG. Around 600-700. Very last problems can be considered in the 700-800 level.

If you shooting for a really high Quant score, then your going to have to use something outside the OG such as MGMAT or GMATClub Challenges.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 16:31
I have to agree with becky. I thought the OG problems are total nonsense. I felt GMATPrep was a lot difficult than the OG ones. Yes they werent MGMAT level but still time consuming at times.

Becky, u could try ur hand at NOVA quants. It's pretty good.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 20:20
Oh yes I forgot to mention somewhere that GMATPrep has a pretty large pool of Quant questions. So do try it again and again, esp. when you run out of material.

I just hate GMATPrep for overlapped Verbal questions, which I memorize pretty well.
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 11:37
I think the OG is good if you know what you're trying to do with the questions. If you're practicing in the first 100-150, you should be trying to go very fast, with no mistakes. This helps you practice easy level questions without making dumb mistakes. If you don't make silly mistakes and the easy ones just bore you, you should only do the final 50 of each section. Those are the only semi-difficult ones in OG.

If you are really looking for harder questions, I recommend Kaplan 800. It has some really good questions to test you.

Other than, you should do the problems posted on the forums for this site. If you can solve some of the Quant problems posted here, and explain your answers so that others can understand, then you'll be fine come test day.
  [#permalink] 17 Sep 2007, 11:37