Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay content

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Essay content [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 11:40
Hey Scott/Omari. Quick question. In my essay to Haas, I was talking about my experience as a performer with Second City. Most specifically, I was talking about some of the quips written on the walls in the green room. Rachel Dratch (current SNL cast) wrote, "I am Pussy Galore". I used this quote in my essay. It is by no means any part of the theme of the essay, but I think it adds some character to the essay. Even though Pussy Galore is a character from a James Bond flick, I am still a little worried about using the word "pussy" in my essay. I am sure you know why. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Christopher Wilson

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2005, 06:51
Expert's post
Wow, way to walk the line! That's a tough one. I usually advise applicants to take some chances in their essays, but I'd hate to tell you to use it, and then you get an uptight, politically correct adcomms reading your essay on a bad day, and your app goes in the "ding" pile because he/she doesn't get it.

I love what you're trying to do, but I's probably feel better telling you to try another quote, if at all possible. You just don't know who will give your essay a first read.

Let me know what you choose!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Scott [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 05:49
Thanks for the reply Scott. I actually kept the "Pussy Galore" quote in my essay. The essay is for Haas and I submitted last night. My rationale was that Haas is a west coast school, very liberal, and more laid back compared to its east coast counterparts. Therefore, I don't think it will adversely affect me and I could be seen as someone who takes risks (I think is a good trait to most adcoms). I got that feeling when I visited the campus and talked to former and current students. Don't get me wrong, Haas is one of the best schools in the nation, very strong all around.

We'll see what happens!

Do you think it was good for me to look at it this way?

Christopher Wilson

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 06:54
Expert's post
Yeah, definitely go with your gut. As a fellow improv guy, I want yu to succeed. Let me know how it goes!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 08:55
I went through Haas' UG program, and I would have advised leaving it out. The school is much more conservative than the campus at large. Although, a lot will depend on the exact way you used it and the readers. I would agree that it is borderline, and not definately inappropriate.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 13:54
Uggh. :( That's not what I wanted to hear. But I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. I can't change it now since I already submitted the app. Everyone keep their fingers crossed and wish me luck 8-)

Thankfully. Haas is my last choice school and the first app that I submitted.

Christopher Wilson

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Speaking of "pussy" [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 17:28
I have a quick question for you scott, I also am a former improv guy and in one of my essays I was recounting a story about when the troupe was asking the audience for tpoics for a song and so the improv troupe leader asked for a special moment and your favorite sport, the crowd answered with "Loosing your virginity" and "Golf as the two topics. Using those two topics our group came up with the song, "Hole in One on the 19th green" I recounted this story in one of my essays, is this too risque?

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 19:11
Expert's post
Yeah, I know what it's like... 9 suggestions out of 10 are usually X-rated. :-)

That's probably a bit more risque than what *I* would have written about. Like I said above, it's hard to know who will read your app, what kind of sense of humor they have, how uptight they are, etc. My that's just my own take. I also think that you should be true to yourself and go with your gut. If you think it works, then use it. If you have qualms (and it's not too late), then don't. It's a pure judgment call!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2005, 15:31
You are absolutely right! The audience members always found a way to come up with something either "perverted" or "politically incorrect". But the point of recounting that was not even to get laughs or be "shocking" it was connect improv to my life and recount a story where we I worked with a group of people in a seemingly difficult situation to come up with something creative. Do you think the adcomm would be so offended so as to miss the point of what I was saying? Besides the song was about "your first time", is that really that offensive?

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2005, 18:23
Expert's post
I agree with you that's it's perfectly reasonable and not really offensive. I think it's okay. My point is just that you never totally know who will give your essay a read in the admissions office. Some things are just out of your control. While in a perfect admissions office, everyone reads every application exactly the same way, free of their biases, etc., that's not always the case.

Don't stress over it too much. You've done all you can to get in... Now just wait, as hard as that may be!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews