Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Essay Help [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2006, 11:37
REQUIRED: Explain your short-term and long-term career plans as specifically as possible. When combined with a MBA degree, how will your previous experiences and personal attributes enable you to pursue these goals successfully?

What all i should mention in this essay?Should i mention abt my experiences at jobs,wht i learnt? if you can elaborate it will surely help

regards
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2006, 14:21
Expert's post
This looks like Vanderbilt's "Why MBA?" question. The best way to attack this question is to follow this very rough kind of formula: "I have been doing _____ and have thus gained a lot of experience with _____. My goal is to do _____ in the short term and ____ in the long term. I want to earn an MBA in order to also gain _____ and _____, which I believe will complement my past experience. School ______ is especially great because of its strength in ______, etc."

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 10:23
Hi Scott,
I changed my job two months ago.In the new job i got additional responsibilities but i won't be able to show the results of my planning and execution as it's been only two months tht i changed the job.

So in the resume, i should only mention abt the new responisbilities i have been assigned in the new job ?if i do not mention abt the results or outcomings of my new company,will it have a negative effect on my resume?

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 15:17
Expert's post
Yeah, you can just list your responsibilities if you don't yet have results. They'll see how long you've been on the job and will understand.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2006, 17:32
Hi Scott,
Is it advisable to apply in London Business School in the third round?

Secondly, i have been currently working on a management model that will initially suit for IT industry.I wanted to ask do i need to explain my model in the Extra essay? I have it's presentation and explanation ready? Should i send this also along my application material?

Third, where exactly should i mention about my modal? It's at preliminary stage and yet not been implemented.I plan to implement after my MBA, so where exactly i should mention in the application abt my modal and my plans on implementing the modal?

Regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2006, 18:10
Expert's post
I advise against applying to any top school in Round 3 because the odds tend to be very slim. Only apply if you're prepared to apply again as a reapplicant next year.

Re: the model, I'd be careful about getting too bogged down in tehcnical details here. Also, since it's just preliminary, it's not yet really an accomplishment. An adcomm may ask "So what?" Remember that they're more interesting in leadership traits than academic exercises.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2006, 17:34
Hi Scott,
But LBS has four rounds of application, so is it still not good enough to apply in Round 3 of LBS?
Regarding my modal, can i mention it to be one of the another reasons for doing an MBA?

Regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2006, 08:33
Expert's post
I still recommend applying in Round 1 or 2.

Re: your model, that sounds good. Just don't get too bogged down in academic details. Adcomms won't care.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2006, 07:02
Hi Scott,
I am thinking of applying to LBS for 2006 session.So is it advisable enough to apply in Round 3?

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 06:50
Expert's post
I still recommend against applying after Round 2, but its' up to you!

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 16:30
Hi Scott,
While applying to one of the B-schools I have to give answer to one of the questions," Describe how your involvement in activities outside of work have contributed to your personal achievements and enhanced your self-development?"

What exactly i should answer in this question?

Second, if for a particular Essay question if there is a word limit of 750 words, do i need to give answer in 750 words or I can write in 500 words also? I mean if I finish my essay answer in 500-600 words, will it have a negative impact on my application?

Regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 17:43
Expert's post
You obviously know how to answer this question better than I do. But one approach is to use this essay to highlight things that your professional experience hasn't alowed you to demonstrate. For instance, if you haven't had the chance to show leadership skills on the job, but you have been able to do this in something outside of work, then that's a good topic for this essay.

Re: word count, less is more! Don't feel that you need to use all 750 words. But be sure that you answer the the question.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews