Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay question - Ideas needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:54
I am trying to write a "Goals" essay and having trouble connecting my past to present. I would appreciate some ideas on how to connect this weird career.

Here is my situation:-

1. Bachelor of Engineering in Control System (Selected this without any thoughts of what future might look like)
2. Masters in Image Processing (Didn't like it. I had no financial assistance, so I decided to do my research in it. Again selected this too without any thoughts of what future might look like).
3. Started working in Information Tech. (Java developer)
4. Got an opportunity to be a team leader on a 9 month project. (IT based)
5. Have been working as Senior consultant for last 5 years. Doing many independent projects within the same company.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 23

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
The big question is, what is your goal? Your background is one thing but you can't connect the past with the future without a clear career goal.
Intern
Intern

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 15:05
I would like to do general management and use my knowledge from last 8 years to lead/manage projects. I have no theoretical or practical knowledge of project management. i want to use my MBA to get this knowledge and get necessary credibility. This is how I want to portray myself.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.73

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
kapsycumm wrote:
I would like to do general management and use my knowledge from last 8 years to lead/manage projects. I have no theoretical or practical knowledge of project management. i want to use my MBA to get this knowledge and get necessary credibility. This is how I want to portray myself.

Dear kapsycumm

You'll have to be more specific than that about your goals..
If you want theoretical and practical knowledge about a certain aspect of management, you can consider reading books and doing specific courses which address your requirements rathar than getting an MBA which will consume a lot of time, energy and money.

You'll have to try and figure out what kind of work motivates you.
If project management, why so? what about it is so appealing to you?

And this should have something to do with what you have done so far since you are saying that you want to USE your knowledge from the past 8 years..
You can say that your experience so far has molded you in a certain way and you want to make use of that mold to advance your career..

Your career goal should be very particular - working in so-and-so capacity in so-and-so industry in a company such as so-and-so..

Once you are done with this, the next step would be identifying the aspects which you lack in order to realize your goal..

After this, it should be easy for you to connect your past experience with your future goals..

Writing essays requires a lotttt of introspection..
I understand that the purpose of such forums is to aid us people with the entire process..
But you need to understand that people can't think for you... You'll have to do the homework..

Hope this helps..

regards,
kaushinside
Intern
Intern

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 05:01
kaushinside wrote:
kapsycumm wrote:

Dear kapsycumm

You'll have to be more specific than that about your goals..
If you want theoretical and practical knowledge about a certain aspect of management, you can consider reading books and doing specific courses which address your requirements rathar than getting an MBA which will consume a lot of time, energy and money.

You'll have to try and figure out what kind of work motivates you.
If project management, why so? what about it is so appealing to you?

And this should have something to do with what you have done so far since you are saying that you want to USE your knowledge from the past 8 years..
You can say that your experience so far has molded you in a certain way and you want to make use of that mold to advance your career..

Your career goal should be very particular - working in so-and-so capacity in so-and-so industry in a company such as so-and-so..

Once you are done with this, the next step would be identifying the aspects which you lack in order to realize your goal..

After this, it should be easy for you to connect your past experience with your future goals..

Writing essays requires a lotttt of introspection..
I understand that the purpose of such forums is to aid us people with the entire process..
But you need to understand that people can't think for you... You'll have to do the homework..

Hope this helps..

regards,
kaushinside

Thanks Kaushinside. I have already written 65% of this essay. I am just not sure how good is it so far, since I don't have any samples of actual essays. How can one fine-tune the essay? Are there any real essay references available online?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
kapsycumm wrote:

Thanks Kaushinside. I have already written 65% of this essay. I am just not sure how good is it so far, since I don't have any samples of actual essays. How can one fine-tune the essay? Are there any real essay references available online?

I suppose there are..
In fact, you'll even find videos on youtube about it, but only trust those from reliable sources..

When you search for sample essays, you could also enter the name of the institute in your search query.

A goals essay could also briefly talk about the unique aspects of the institute for which you are writing the essay..

I would strongly suggest you get your essays reviewed by professionals..

regards,
kaushinside
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 625

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
Truthfully, only you can answer why you selected the schools and jobs you did. I'd suggest you sit down with a glass of wine or beer and really think about why you made the choices you did. These answers won't just be relevant for your essays, they will come up in interviews, too.
Intern
Intern

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 06:18
kingfalcon wrote:
Truthfully, only you can answer why you selected the schools and jobs you did. I'd suggest you sit down with a glass of wine or beer and really think about why you made the choices you did. These answers won't just be relevant for your essays, they will come up in interviews, too.

Thanks kingfalcon. My attitude has always been to pass what I am doing and then think about the future later. I never really liked anything from heart. I elected for Electronics in the high school year and I didn't go to Electronics Engineering(wasted Electronics knowledge). I did Control systems engineering in my bachelors, but I elected for Image Processing for my Masters(wasted Control Systems knowledge). I was forced to work in IT because I couldn't get necessary security clearance for Image processing jobs which were offered to me (wasted Image processing knowledge). I would like to stop this trend in my life. I have been working in IT for last 8 years now, and I would like to use this knowledge in my post-MBA life. Product management is what I want to do. But, after talking to a lot of people, the majority thinks that product management goal in the essay is an hard sell to the AdComs.

What do you guys think about it?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
kapsycumm wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Thanks kingfalcon. My attitude has always been to pass what I am doing and then think about the future later. I never really liked anything from heart. I elected for Electronics in the high school year and I didn't go to Electronics Engineering(wasted Electronics knowledge). I did Control systems engineering in my bachelors, but I elected for Image Processing for my Masters(wasted Control Systems knowledge). I was forced to work in IT because I couldn't get necessary security clearance for Image processing jobs which were offered to me (wasted Image processing knowledge). I would like to stop this trend in my life. I have been working in IT for last 8 years now, and I would like to use this knowledge in my post-MBA life. Product management is what I want to do. But, after talking to a lot of people, the majority thinks that product management goal in the essay is an hard sell to the AdComs.

kapsycumm,

on one hand you are saying you want to stop a particular trend of succumbing to the circumstances in your life and on the other you are having this tendency to compromise on something that you want to do because people told you something about it being difficult to be sold (another one of those 'circumstances')..

if it is really something you 'WANT' to do and not something that you 'would like' to do, go ahead and give it your best shot..

kaushinside
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 162 [1] , given: 66

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kapsycumm wrote:

Hi Kapsycumm, I'd actually write the essay as the gist of this thread!

People come to the MBA from all walks of life and backgrounds, so the admissions consultants have seen it all. If you've bounced around looking for the right fit, then write that in your essay. If you know exactly what you want to do with the MBA, write that in your essay. I find being honest can help separate you from the crowd, especially if you've got a compelling story. Everything you did, you did for a reason. And applying to do an MBA, you're doing for a reason as well. Once you tap into the heart of why you're doing it, the essay is like 6/7 done!

Best of luck!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Essay question - Ideas needed   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2013, 08:14