Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate my profile, please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluate my profile, please! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 17:26
Hi Everyone,

Let me start off by giving you my stats:

23, Female, US Citizen
Undergrad - Tier 1 Research University in USA
BBA, Finance and BS, Psychology (graduating with both in August 2013)
GPA Cum: 3.04, Finance GPA: 3.67 and Psychology GPA: 3.83
Both degrees are Magna Cum Laude*** (my university only counts last 2 years for this honours calculation)
About 2 years of intern/part time work in the financial field
GMAT: expecting to get at least 700

***For those of you who aren't familiar with the latin honours system, Magna Cum Laude is for a degree with great honour.

NOTE: I had a 3.6gpa in my first year. My cum. GPA is low because during my second year I was struggling very hard to decide what I wanted to do in my career. I started off as a finance major, however, back in 2009 when the market was doing horrible, I was advised that it will not be a wise decision in the end. So, I made the horrible choice of deciding to study something else... my grade kept dropping for a solid 1.5 years because I had literally zero motivation to go to class and take the exams (I simply did neither). I have two or three Fs and a couple of Ds, because of this reason. After changing my major 7 (Yes, SEVEN) times, I soon came to realize that I will only excel in a subject that I am truly interested in learning. So during my fourth year, I changed my degree to BS in psychology and during my fifth year, I added BBA in finance to that. I could only do it in this order because the business school's entry requirements made me wait until i get my gpa to at least a 3.0. Otherwise they wouldnt admit me into the program.
While I realized that I would be going into an additional year and risking admission on the premise that I would get a 3.0, I figured it is worth it simply because I wanted to get the degree in what I absolutely wanted to do, plus I wanted to finish what I started. I was a much happier person after I got back on track and actually enjoyed the learning experience much more. That's why my gpa got back up. During the past Spring (official last full-semester) I managed to get a 3.75 in 24credit hours (8classes = 6 were from 4000-level fina and 2 were from 4000-level adv business) while working 30hours in a professional financial setting.

My gpa trend is strong in the last two years, hence the Magna Cum Laude. I am hoping that this would play to my advantage, over the low cum.GPA.

These are the universities I am hoping to apply to:

USA:
Stanford, Booth, NYU, UCLA, Cornell, Duke, Columbia, Rice and UT (UT is my safe school)

UK (let me just say that it is my dream to go to UK to do my MS in fina-related/MBA, but the main focus is to go to a top school):
Imperial, Warwick, LBS, Cass and Oxford

Thoughts on my chances of acceptance?

I would greatly appreciate any serious feed back!
Thank you again for taking the time to read the long post!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Evaluate my profile, please! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 01:15
Are you looking at full time MBAs? If you are then what is the rush? Most top schools do not consider students straight out of college. There are, however, deferred programs such as HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholars, etc that may suit you.

However Masters in Management are more targetted at your level of experience. I am not sure about MFin courses but I have heard the likes of Oxford SBS have extremely high admission standards due to the rigour of the course.

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluate my profile, please! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 05:08
domotron wrote:
Are you looking at full time MBAs? If you are then what is the rush? Most top schools do not consider students straight out of college. There are, however, deferred programs such as HBS 2+2, Yale Silver Scholars, etc that may suit you.

However Masters in Management are more targetted at your level of experience. I am not sure about MFin courses but I have heard the likes of Oxford SBS have extremely high admission standards due to the rigour of the course.

Yes I know, I would love to go to Oxford, but from the research I have done (until my eyes were almost bleeding) it seems like I am underqualified for Oxford.

I want to be done with school at the masters level one way or another. Ms in Mana is alright as well, but I am mainly targeting on getting a MsFina or any other investments related masters. That way, I will have a masters under my belt for the future needs and if I ever have to go back to school for a MBA, then I will just deal with it years from now. However, I wouldn't say no to a MBA program right now either... the only problem is, like you said, they want experience.

Thank you for your input!
Re: Evaluate my profile, please!   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2013, 05:08