Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluate profile [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2005, 04:31
Hi Linda,

Thanks a lot of your involvement on this group. I have a request for you to evaluate my profile with regard to the information below:

Demographic: 27, male, International applicant (Pakistan)

Academic:
GMAT (1 attempt) - 660 (V 77%, Q 87%)
Pre-MBA coursework
- MBA from IBA Karachi (Pakistan) - GPA 2.5/4.0
- BA in Economics (Pakistan) - GPA 4.0/4.0
- Courses in Public Adminstration (One year Post Graduate Diploma) - GPA 3.2/4.0

*/* Since masters in Pakistan is equivalent to a bechelors degrees abroad, most schools allow a second MBA.

Professional:
Assistant Brand Manager - P&G in Pakistan (For two years)
Brand Manager - Shell in Pakistan (For one year)
Brand Manager - Henkel Saudi Arabia (3-4 months)

Extra-curricular:

- Have Participated in various online Entreprenuership competions (including MIT 50K)
- Managing online forums on Advertising, Marketing in Pakistan
- Have done extenstive community work projects in rural areas of Pakistan
- Part time work experience as a student counsellor
- Certified Hypnotherapist
- Extensive volunteer work experience

Post-MBA Goals:
I want to major in Entreprenuership and start my own business back in Pakistan.

Additional Info:

Apart from my MBA degree where I was more involoved in extra-curricular activities, my entire academic records are excellent. From a moderate rural background, I was able to get into the most prestigious business school in Pakistan and have done superbly well in my career so far.

Target schools:
Kellogs
Chicago
MIT
Stanford
Insead

Based on the information above, how would you assess my chances at major Ivy League schools? Do I need to retake the GMAT?

Thanks for your help!

My MBA Journey
http://kamran-mba.blogspot.com/

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Evaluate profile [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 15:50
Expert's post
kamranbl-mba wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thanks a lot of your involvement on this group. I have a request for you to evaluate my profile with regard to the information below:

Demographic: 27, male, International applicant (Pakistan)

Academic:
GMAT (1 attempt) - 660 (V 77%, Q 87%)
Pre-MBA coursework
- MBA from IBA Karachi (Pakistan) - GPA 2.5/4.0
- BA in Economics (Pakistan) - GPA 4.0/4.0
- Courses in Public Adminstration (One year Post Graduate Diploma) - GPA 3.2/4.0

*/* Since masters in Pakistan is equivalent to a bechelors degrees abroad, most schools allow a second MBA.

Professional:
Assistant Brand Manager - P&G in Pakistan (For two years)
Brand Manager - Shell in Pakistan (For one year)
Brand Manager - Henkel Saudi Arabia (3-4 months)

Extra-curricular:

- Have Participated in various online Entreprenuership competions (including MIT 50K)
- Managing online forums on Advertising, Marketing in Pakistan
- Have done extenstive community work projects in rural areas of Pakistan
- Part time work experience as a student counsellor
- Certified Hypnotherapist
- Extensive volunteer work experience

Post-MBA Goals:
I want to major in Entreprenuership and start my own business back in Pakistan.

Additional Info:

Apart from my MBA degree where I was more involoved in extra-curricular activities, my entire academic records are excellent. From a moderate rural background, I was able to get into the most prestigious business school in Pakistan and have done superbly well in my career so far.

Target schools:
Kellogs
Chicago
MIT
Stanford
Insead

Based on the information above, how would you assess my chances at major Ivy League schools? Do I need to retake the GMAT?

Thanks for your help!

Certainly a higher GMAT would help you at the top schools, especially given your MBA GPA. But Pakistan doesn't send many application to US MBA programs and your work experience and extra-curricualrs are excellent.

I would encourage youto retake the GMAT to maximize yoru chances of acceptance, but if you can't retake it or doubt you can raise your score, then apply at a range of schools in the hope that one of the top ones will accept you. Althernatively, focus on the top ones, and if rejected, prepare again for the GMAT and reapply next year.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2005, 02:57
Thanks Linda,

I will definitely apply to a range of schools and have already registered for my GMAT re-take before the second round.

Please tell me which schools to apply because there are some schools like Stanford and Columbia which put a lot of emphasis on GPA and GMAT compared to some other schools which don't emphasize much on academics and consider personal attributes more than GPA requirements.

Also, how should I choose my schools?? Are there any guidelines for selecting schools available??

Thanks,
Kamran

My MBA Journey
http://kamran-mba.blogspot.com/

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2005, 13:11
Expert's post
kamranbl-mba wrote:
Thanks Linda,

I will definitely apply to a range of schools and have already registered for my GMAT re-take before the second round.

Please tell me which schools to apply because there are some schools like Stanford and Columbia which put a lot of emphasis on GPA and GMAT compared to some other schools which don't emphasize much on academics and consider personal attributes more than GPA requirements.

Also, how should I choose my schools?? Are there any guidelines for selecting schools available??

Thanks,
Kamran

For some brief suggestions on choosing schools please see "Where Should I Apply." For a more detailed discussion, please consider Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admisison.

Consider also UT, UCLA, Cornell, UNC, and Duke.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog