Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

evaluation needed -- 33-yr Indian/M/IT, 760

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

evaluation needed -- 33-yr Indian/M/IT, 760 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:43
Hi Paul,
can you evaluate my profile and give me some essay tips?

33 yr-old Indian male, IT
GMAT: 760 (Q 48, V 46), AWA: 5.0
Will take the TOEFL in a few days.

Work experience -- not brilliant, but good:
~5 yrs in enterprise software as Developer, received a nice promotion last year
I represent my company at lots of technical conferences each year (doing technical presentations)
International exp: lots of travel to Germany, India for business reasons. 90% of my team is based in Germany/Ireland

Before that: 2 + 1 yrs in two startups (both of which went backrupt) as a software engr

I know the work experience doesn't stand out.

GPA:
M.Sc. -- First class with Distinction, ranked first in class
B.Sc. -- First class
both both a decent Indian school (not IIT)

Extracurriculars: Sierra Club activism, worked at foodbank + done IT setup for poor schools once a month for the last 2 years, volunteer at running races, etc.

What're my shots at these PT programs: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, and Wharton West?
Any advise on what to stress on in my essays?

Thanks,
DF
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: evaluation needed -- 33-yr Indian/M/IT, 760 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 12:34
drucker_fan wrote:
Hi Paul,
can you evaluate my profile and give me some essay tips?

33 yr-old Indian male, IT
GMAT: 760 (Q 48, V 46), AWA: 5.0
Will take the TOEFL in a few days.

Work experience -- not brilliant, but good:
~5 yrs in enterprise software as Developer, received a nice promotion last year
I represent my company at lots of technical conferences each year (doing technical presentations)
International exp: lots of travel to Germany, India for business reasons. 90% of my team is based in Germany/Ireland

Before that: 2 + 1 yrs in two startups (both of which went backrupt) as a software engr

I know the work experience doesn't stand out.

GPA:
M.Sc. -- First class with Distinction, ranked first in class
B.Sc. -- First class
both both a decent Indian school (not IIT)

Extracurriculars: Sierra Club activism, worked at foodbank + done IT setup for poor schools once a month for the last 2 years, volunteer at running races, etc.

What're my shots at these PT programs: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, and Wharton West?
Any advise on what to stress on in my essays?

Thanks,
DF

DF,

Your chances at UC Davis and UCLA part-time look good to me, and I think you are competitive at Haas part-time, perhaps even better than competitive. You may have a shot at Wharton West but it will depend -- and your ability to stand out from the pack at any school will depend -- on making your work experience shine. It's pretty good as it is, but not horribly unusual, so just really drive home the level of leadership and responsibility, the bottom-line impact ($, %), size of teams, etc. Make it clear that you are more than what your job title indicates you are, that you are fast-track if that's applicable. Especially maximize the international experiences from the cross-cultural angle. You may not finally have a shot at Wharton West because you are not literally/formally a manager.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 13:22
Paul,
thanks for replying. I'll incorporate your ideas into my essays. I'll try to incorporate 'leadership' examples and also work on the multicultural angle. Is it ok if I show leadership experience outside my work, such as leading hiking trips and so on? The problem is that in my current job, chances to show leadership skills are very limited.

I've often read/heard that Indian software/IT types write cookie-cutter, standard essays. As a result, their personality doesn't shine through (or even appear) in the essays. What do you think about this? Should I make my essays personal, i.e. how I made a decision, instead of how I carried out a decision? The difference is that the 1st gives the adcom a sense of how I think, while the 2nd reads like I'm rehashing my resume. I guess the short question is, should I focus on thoughts or actions?

After your answer and reading more about Wharton West's program, I decided not to apply there. Without formal management experience, my shots are low, and the program isn't a good fit for me.

I think you're doing an enormous service by helping us out in these forums. I also found your link 'Advice to older applicants' helpful.

Thanks,
DF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 13:57
IMHO, in your case it's better to focus on thoughts and feelings (some schools actually explicitly ask for that). Don't hide your actions, but no need to chew them around too much if they don't sound stellar.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 18:59
drucker_fan wrote:
Paul,
thanks for replying. I'll incorporate your ideas into my essays. I'll try to incorporate 'leadership' examples and also work on the multicultural angle. Is it ok if I show leadership experience outside my work, such as leading hiking trips and so on? The problem is that in my current job, chances to show leadership skills are very limited.

I've often read/heard that Indian software/IT types write cookie-cutter, standard essays. As a result, their personality doesn't shine through (or even appear) in the essays. What do you think about this? Should I make my essays personal, i.e. how I made a decision, instead of how I carried out a decision? The difference is that the 1st gives the adcom a sense of how I think, while the 2nd reads like I'm rehashing my resume. I guess the short question is, should I focus on thoughts or actions?

After your answer and reading more about Wharton West's program, I decided not to apply there. Without formal management experience, my shots are low, and the program isn't a good fit for me.

I think you're doing an enormous service by helping us out in these forums. I also found your link 'Advice to older applicants' helpful.

Thanks,
DF

DF,

The hiking leadership essay might work though it's not as impressive as leadership in work or leadership in a volunteer situation where the environment parallels the work environment. Hopefully, the hiking story will not be the only leadership story you have. They see a lot of those kinds of stories and unless the leadership you displayed while hiking was quite dramatic (saving, rescuing, etc.) it may not be as strong as you:d like.

As for thoughts vs. actions, you need to include the "actions" to show the context and outcome of your leadership--to show that your leadership actually involve real people, real situations, and real outcomes. Your thoughts are of course important, but not as much as what they compel you to do. "Actions" should also include the specific steps and tactics you take to lead people. The way you can stand out is by *how* you describe your actions--the amount of personality you express in your description, including of course how you feel about the situation you:re describing. But actions should still take precedence over thoughts.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

thanks, Paul! [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2007, 16:03
Hi Paul,
update: I applied to Haas and UCLA, was accepted at both, and will attend Haas. I want to thank you for the advice you gave me here as well as in your excellent book. I found the book very useful while writing my essays and highly recommend it to anyone applying to b-school.

Best regards,
DF
SVP
SVP

Re: thanks, Paul! [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2007, 08:30
drucker_fan wrote:
Hi Paul,
update: I applied to Haas and UCLA, was accepted at both, and will attend Haas. I want to thank you for the advice you gave me here as well as in your excellent book. I found the book very useful while writing my essays and highly recommend it to anyone applying to b-school.

Best regards,
DF

DF,

Congratulations on your acceptances and thanks for updating us. If you have any inclination to post a brief positive review of my book at Amazon.com, I would be deeply and eternally grateful. Best of luck at Haas.

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Hi druker_fan [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 04:48
Awesome score that you have got.. Am not an expert on the selection criteria. Just wanted some of your valuable advice..

Have another 20 days for Test Day and seem to repeatedly get 35-37 in verbal. Just wanted your opinion on how to improve my Verbal scores ;) Anything specifc that you could sugget ?? :-D

I mean Test giving strategies or reading material. SC seems to be my nemisis, have already gone through the Manhattan Guide for SC but cannot get a strike rate of above 70%. Anything you feel could help me improve my scores ??

Thanks a lot for replying, it could bring a lot of change in my prep. :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 09:13
Hi Ajay,
did you read my post at http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... highlight=?
I have given a brief description of my study method, etc.

Please email me again if you want more info.