Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 10:41
Hello Paul,

I posted my profile in another thread but I would like your opinion also.

Could you please analyze my detailed profile and give me an idea of what I could consider safeties, targets (ballpark), and *realistic* reaches.....no hail mary types.

----------------------------

Personal:

Nationality: USA
Waist: 30 inches and growing :P

Academics:

Undergraduate Institution: Temple University
Major: Marketing
Undergraduate GPA: 3.56
Major GPA: 3.93
Final 2 year GPA: >3.9, including many quant heavy and upper level courses
Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Dean's List during final 4 semesters
Study Abroad: American University of Rome, Italy
GMAT: 700 (47Q, 40V, 5AWA).....brought it up 80 points from my first try (original 620) since I am aiming for top programs

Work Experience:

First Company: Company sold project management software, also did consulting and implementation
My role: Marketing Director....I was the only marketing person at the company. I qualified prospects, generated leads for the sales team, spearheaded all marketing campaigns (print and email).
Length of employment: 13 months
Reason for leaving: During my time there, the company was brought to salable condition and was sold to a company based in Indiana. I would like to think that my actions helped in this, and I had recieved a 30% raise during my time there. The old owner also arranged for an extremely generous severence package.

My Current Company: Small Publishing Company
My role: Assistant Director of Global Sales and Marketing.....I assist in all facets of sales and marketing. I lead negotiations in some regional (international) distribution deals and rights deals. I travel and work trade shows (including internationally). I also take part in team projects within the company.
Length of employment to date: 16 months

Extra Curriculars and Hobbies:

EC: Before college, I volunteered at an understaffed hospital in Taipei, Taiwan.

In college I was a member of American Marketing Association, Golden Key International Honour Society, and volunteered at the Israeli Consulate in Philadelphia.

After college there was a break in my EC because of my new job. After I left my first job, I spent about 4 months helping take care of my grandmother who recently moved back North from Florida after her health began declining. Then I started a new job, got engaged, planned, a wedding, got married, and studied to retake my GMAT.

Recently, I cofounded a Pug/Beagle mix breed dog meetup group. I am also set to begin hospital visits (and challah delivery) to sick Jewish youths and seniors through "Jewish Family and Children's Service of Phildelphia". I will also be volunteering for Barack Obama once he gets the nomination 8-)

Hobbies:

I am obsessed with politics and global current events. I read alot, play ping pong, and do photography.

International travel is my passion (different cultures really excite me). Taking personal, volunteer, living, study, and work travel into account....I have been to 45 different countries on 6 continents.

----------------------------

I will have strong reccomendations, essays, and crystal clear reasoning for getting an MBA (including why I want a career switch to management consulting). I will also visit the programs I will apply to and speak with students and alumni.

I realize I may not be the most amazing candidate coming from the small business world (i.e. not Goldman Sachs middle management by age 25), but I think I can put together a strong application.

Please, give me your honest opinion on what my *REALISTIC* safeties, targets, and realistic reaches may be based on this profile. Fall 2009 entry is a must for me.

(Also keep in mind that I have my own choices so far based on culture, size, location, etc...I just want to hear what other people think/suggest)

THANKS PAUL!!!

"George is getting upset!"

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 08:18
Expert's post
raabenb,

I like your profile. It's distinctive, not in a jaw-dropping way but clearly unique. This is a big asset for you in positioning yourself as a memorable candidate. Your two leadership roles professionally are an asset for you. The only weakness I see is on the extracurricular side. One easy/obvious solution: begin volunteering for Obama now--that is, in leadership roles. You want to have some stories where you're directing things, making more than low-impact decisions, coordinating folks. Maybe start on that right now.

Other than that, your profile looks good. Given your goals I think you have a shot at the following schools. A big impact/leadership story outside of work (precinct captain?) could make a big difference in this list:

Reaches:
--Wharton
--MIT Sloan
--Tuck

Targets:
--Chicago
--Michigan
--Yale

High Confidence:
--Georgetown
--CMU
--Emory

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 11:06
Can you explain why Tuck is a reach and Chicago is a target? Does it have to do with the number of seats available at each institution?

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 13:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, number of seats available and Tuck's brand strength relative to Chicago's. Chicago still loses applicants IMO who believe it's a "quant" school primarily. This fact enhances the odds of admission for qualified applicants vis-a-vis Tuck.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 20:02
Paul,

I never got around to thanking you.

The local Obama office closed shortly after the PA primary and the closest one is too far for me to volunteer at (I live in a Philadelphia suburb). I believe the local office may open again after the convention in late August. There are many local grassroots efforts that are not "officially sanctioned" by the campaign. I would much prefer volunteering under the official office when (and if) it reopens.

Since I wrote up my profile I have joined a local park association and do litter pick up one Saturday a month (the same park where we hold our Dog group meet-ups).

I have also begun the hospital visits. The chaplain at the hospital (she arranges the visits in conjunction with the Jewish volunteer group) explained that she has a tough time finding committed and consistent volunteers for the visits and was delighted that I stepped up to the plate and guaranteed my commitment for Friday visits every week. It seems like my role is turning into more of a para-chaplain type since I not only deliver the Sabbath challah, but also I chat it up and occasionally do the Jewish prayers with the hospital patients. They are also going to alternate my visits between two local hospitals (I believe I will be the only volunteer servicing both hospitals).

It is going to be hard to end the hospital visits when its time I go back to school. I have already contacted student leaders of the Jewish clubs of my target schools. They do not do these kinds of hospital visits so perhaps I can start a program once I get in;)

How do you think my EC profile is looking?

Thanks again!

P.S. How much does my undergrad brand hurt my profile?

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 08:45
Expert's post
raabenb,

It's looking good, but don't kill yourself and remember that EC activities that show leadership give you the value-add of (1) volunteer/social impact involvement and (2) leadership experiences.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 15:28
Thanks Paul,

I did have a "P.S. How much does my undergrad brand hurt my profile?" at the bottom which you probably missed. Im curious to hear your take on how much my undergrad brand hurts my chances.

Cheers,

raabenb

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 15:14
Expert's post
It hurts it not at all. Graduating from Temple is not way a negative or something that needs to be overcome.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 19:23
Hello Paul,

I finalized my school list. I decided to apply to 6 programs.

Since a small size is very important, and a not-in-a-big-city setting is important but less so, I decided on:

Dartmouth Tuck EA
Cornell Johnson Rd 1
Yale SOM Rd 1
Duke Fuqua Rd 1
Virginia Darden (EA or Rd 2 depending on earlier application progress)
Emory Goizueta (Rd 1 or Rd 2 depending on earlier application progress)

I plan to emphasize my background in small business, my international experiences, and the industry I will be coming from (publishing) in order to differentiate myself and hopefully pique the interest of the adcom.

I HAVE TO go Fall 2009. With that said, what are your thoughts on my choices? Do you think I am safe to get into at least one with solid applications or should I tack on one or two more for Round 2 (Gtown, CMU)?

Thanks, I really appreciate your input.

-Raabenb

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 11:39
Expert's post
raabenb,

I feel that I've given you a fair amount of time and feedback thus far, so in order to answer any more questions from you I would need to get on a consultant-client basis with you.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 13:53
No thanks :) Thanks for your help until now though! Cheers!