Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation Request!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 14:48
Hi Paul!

I am getting my applications together for round one, and I'd love some feedback and unbiased analysis of my chances!

Profile:
25 year old American White male

Occupation: I run the library of a small business school in California. I oversee student workers, as well as two consultants who do some contract work. I have remodeled the library as well as the school's website. I also regularly visit classes to teach modules on business research, and taught a master's course in Business Intelligence.

Community Work : For two years I worked full time at an urban public library in some very rough neighborhoods. I now continue this work on a small scale, one afternoon a week, at a mixed-income suburban library.

MBA Goals : I want to switch careers, and take my business research skills into the for-profit sector, either in strategy or marketing, preferably in Consumer Packaged Goods. Since I've been in the non-profit sector for so long, it's hard to go into the for-profit sector. I not only want to make more money, but have a larger impact on the world. A top-notch MBA, Internship, & Career Services can greatly aid me in this goal. Also, professionals in the business intelligence field generally have or get an MBA along the way.

Statistics:
Undergrad GPA: 3.2, Ivy-League school,
Major: English. Also had 21 credits in French and studied abroad in Paris.
I did have a rough time my first year at school, but succeeded in my Junior & Senior Years. (GPA 3.6)

Masters in Library Science: GPA 3.8
Public University - More known in the Northeast than rest of country.

Currently Enrolled in Statistics & Accounting courses

GMAT: 750
44 Verbal
48 Quant
6.0 AWA
Taken Once. (well, really twice, but I walked out first time, because I was WAY too sick to be taking that test.)

TARGET SCHOOLS:

NYU is my first choice.

The short list:
Wharton
MIT
Harvard
Columbia

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 19:15
Expert's post
mmca,

You may well be have the first librarian's profile I've come across in eleven years of admissions consulting. That is a good thing because it means that in the diversity/uniqueness sweepstakes you will surely have top B-schools' attention (many would love to add "librarian" to their list of run-the-gamut pre-MBA professions). Your GMAT resolves almost all of the Yeah, But Can He Count worries that your profession might raise. So far, so good, but leadership is another major piece of the admission puzzle and I'm not sure your profile is quite strong enough in that respect for HBS. If you had this same profile and also once spent a year in Borneo or founded your own Bookmobile service for inner cities, then HBS would be much more doable.

You will really want to make all these schools understand the scope of responsibility and people leadership your work requires. If you do, you may have a shot. I would think NYU is your best bet, followed by, in diminishing likelihood, MIT, Wharton, Columbia, HBS. I am not discouraging you from applying to any of these schools, just make them see your leadership and show them you have totally due-diligenced your post-MBA career tracks. Tell them where those goals come from, make it credible.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 10:53
Thanks, Paul!

This is valuable advice.

I understand that Harvard is a longshot - thankfully, I'm not smitten with the program ;) It's more that Harvard fits my profile: Northeast, Urban, top ranked program. Also, their billions in endowment are attractive, hopefully I might get a discount on tuition.

I have heard that my essays will make or break my applications. Thank you for the advice regarding how I need to present myself. At this point, there's not much more I can DO, it's all about the PRESENTATION.

But If I don't get in anywhere, I'll start a Bookmobile program in the Congo and try again next year!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation Request! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 10:27
Expert's post