Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ex-military students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ex-military students [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 16:52
to all b-schoolers out there - what's your impression of students with a military background? I'm currently a military officer looking to transition into bschool, but frankly i'm worried about not being able to hang with the engineers/IB/MC people. My business knowledge is limited. I understand the good qualities that adcomm's and employers seek out in military candidates (leadership,teamwork, etc.) but i wonder what you guys think of your military classmates? Do they seem to have a good grasp on the curriculum? What do you think?

Conversely, what do you military bschoolers think of your school, classmates, and general MBA life? How hard is it to find a job, or even get respect in the corporate world?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 09:04
Military backgrounds give you an awesomely powerful network, especially in banking.

I can't see why you should fear following the work - irrespective of your background, business school isn't set up to be a huge stretch into the unknown. It is how it serves its purpose and became so successful (even "quant" classes are hardly that quant, though I am more that background).

My impression of students with a military background is that they can be really intimidating. Several years of learned behavior doesn't go away quickly, and without some work.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 10:38
most schools have a military club which are very strong and hold pre-recruiting events so you guys get the first jump on recruiters. If the adcom doesn't have an ex-military guy on the committee, they will ask one of the MBA students (VP sort of role in the club) to look at some of the candidates and give input.

I've heard (husband is military with NYU PT program) that Military offiers seem to always show well at recruiting events and IBs really like you guys. Only hard part is proving your quant capabilities so do well in finance classes and GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 21:04
I'm currently in consulting right now, and I'm thinking about leaving the corporate world to join the armed services. Ideally, I'd like to be an intelligence officer with the Marine Corps, but I've only been doing light research on it. Do you think it's worth getting in now with the intention of leaving to go to b-school in the future?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 21:08
To the original poster, what did you study in undergrad? What courses did you take then? Typically schools will assess your skills and require (or not) that you do some pre-courses based (mostly) on your undergrad studies rather than your work experience.

L.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 17:22
Consulting firms - particularly McK - like you military folks too.

Duke loves its military guys. If you wanted me to connect you with someone, I'd be happy to. I've got marines, army, navy, airforce...I've got 'em all.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 02:57
There are also quite some good fellowship opportunities for ex-military MBAs out there, I believe.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: ex-military students [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 10:11
Relevant link from military guys at HBS.

http://media.www.harbus.org/media/stora ... 7128.shtml

L.
Re: ex-military students   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2008, 10:11