Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

extra classes (low gpa)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

extra classes (low gpa) [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 10:42
Hi,

I realize that undergrad GPA is only one part of the package that adcoms look at, but I am a worried about it. I have a low cumulative GPA (3.05). My degree is from a top 25 university with a degree in accounting (top 4 accounting school). My major was difficult and I only have 2 or 3 real electives in 4 years that look like easy classes. My freshman year I got a C in calculus. I re-took the class (unfortunately during a busy semseter in which I was pledging a fraternity) first semester of my sophomore and got a C again. I understand this looks awful. However, my academic performance in business and quant classes imporved throughout my junior and senior years. I got an A- Probability for business, A- in financial accounting, B+ in managerial accounting, B+ in business finance, A in upper level macroeconomics, A- in Accounting Systems Design, B+ in Accounting Systems development and many other accounting intesive classes i received roughy B to B+ (with an occasional B-)

I would like to attend a top 10 school and I am planning on applying this Fall for matriculation in Fall 2009. I understand that there are many other aspects to the application but I am just trying to evaluate my undergraduate work here (so that I can sleep at night!). Are these grades enough to offset my low GPA and low calculus grades. I have a CPA and am aiming for 700+ on gmat. Should I consider taking classes online or at community college to try to improve my GPA or should I concentrate on other parts of my application?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: extra classes (low gpa) [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 12:43
How many below B grades did you get and what were they in? Usually the conventional wisdom is, you can offset the low GPA with a High GMAT. However they won't totally dismiss it.
Intern
Intern

Re: extra classes (low gpa) [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 15:34
I did very poorly my first semester. I got 6 C's throughout college. All but one were in my first two semesters of school. 2 of the C's were in Cacl 1 (very bad I know). One C+ was in "Contemporary Moral and Social Issues" (an elective as part of the general curriculum), One C in Introduction to Asian Art: 1300 to present (an elective as part of the general required curriculum), One C+ in Natural Hazards (geology elective as part of general required curriculum). Those classes are part of a group of classes which we needed a certain amount to graduate. They aren't related to my major at all The only business class where i did not get a B or better was a C+ in Organizational behavior.

All but one of my bad grades were concentrated in my first year or so of college. The classes in my major I did better in, but unfortunately they weren't enough to get my cumulative GPA above the 3.05 where it stands now.

I have heard the theory about having a great GMAT score (especially in Quant section) to offest a low GPA. I am just wondering if getting a 700+ score with scoring above 80th percentil in quant is enough to make adcoms cut me some slack on my GPA. Thus, Iwas wondering about taking a calc class online or at a community college to help compensate or should I just concentrate on studying for the gmat and getting a great quant score.

Thanks
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: extra classes (low gpa) [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 10:33
Expert's post
mbaguy513,

If you get 80th percentile or above in both the Q and V parts of the GMAT and you retake calculus at a decent college and get an "A" then adcoms will not be worried about your ability to handle the MBA curriculum. The higher your GMAT, the less concern they will have and the more competitive you'll be vis-a-vis applicants who have higher GPAs.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: extra classes (low gpa) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 12:20
Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your insight.

I don't know if I will have the time to take the calc class and apply R1. I could easily do it and apply in R2. Assuming I can get a 700+ GMAT with above 80th percentile in Q and V, does the benefit of taking the calc class and getting an A outwiegh whatever advantages applying in R1 vs R2 would have? (since I will most likely have to delay my apps rom R1 to R2 in order to take the class).

Also, in general is their a big advantage in applying R1 vs R2?

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: extra classes (low gpa) [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 06:43
Expert's post
mbaguy513,

I wouldn't say that the benefit of applying in round 1 versus round 2 is great. I do think there is greater benefit in applying in round 1 than in delaying your application just to retake calc, however. Maybe give them an optional essay briefly explaining why you had the weak grades early on.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog