Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Few random questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Few random questions [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 17:23
Few random questions:

1) Resume format

What are the disadvantages of not using school's resume format (e.g. do alumni prefer their school's resume format)? I find resume format used by most leading schools (Tuck, Wharton, HBS, Darden) ineffective - i.e. a lot of wasted space of the left side (only dates are there). Stanford's resume format suits me better and is in general more popular. Any issues if I go with this format while my school uses different one?

2) Consulting recruitment (1)

If I interview for consulting (McK, Bain, Booz, BCG) during 1st year (i.e. for summer internship) and get dinged, can I still apply for FT recruitment? Or it's 1 shot only?

3) Consulting recruitment (2)

If I study in the US and interview for foreign office (Europe) do I have to fly to (or have video/phone interviews with) this office? Or maybe recruitment is done by US office and they will send their decision to the foreign office?

4) IB recruitment

Say I consider 2 options: equity research and M&A? Can I pursue both while searching for summer internship or do I have to decide on one and only?

5) Business cards

I've heard recently that students order business cards. Why? Do you hand them out during company presentations etc.? If so, what for? Doesn't it look cocky?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 19:11
Quote:
2) Consulting recruitment (1)

If I interview for consulting (McK, Bain, Booz, BCG) during 1st year (i.e. for summer internship) and get dinged, can I still apply for FT recruitment? Or it's 1 shot only?

You definitely can. In fact, historically the number of full time offers in consulting has been higher than the number of summer offers - that it to say that many of those who did not receive summer offer received full time offer (sometimes at the expense of those who received a summer offer but did not fare well during their internship.

Quote:
3) Consulting recruitment (2)

If I study in the US and interview for foreign office (Europe) do I have to fly to (or have video/phone interviews with) this office? Or maybe recruitment is done by US office and they will send their decision to the foreign office?

Short answer is: It depends. Usually you still have your interviews with global affiliates in the U.S. (some partners may fly over to, say, NY and interview applicants from many schools during one day)

Quote:
5) Business cards

I've heard recently that students order business cards. Why? Do you hand them out during company presentations etc.? If so, what for? Doesn't it look cocky?

Yes, they do. Same reason that you have your "usual" b-cards - to be able to share your contact info. Yes, if it feels appropriate. No, in most cases it doesn't look cocky. In fact, you are expected to offer your business card sometimes.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 17:53
garbus222 wrote:
Few random questions:
1) Resume format

What are the disadvantages of not using school's resume format (e.g. do alumni prefer their school's resume format)? I find resume format used by most leading schools (Tuck, Wharton, HBS, Darden) ineffective - i.e. a lot of wasted space of the left side (only dates are there). Stanford's resume format suits me better and is in general more popular. Any issues if I go with this format while my school uses different one?

Um.... because your school will punch you in the face? :lol:

Most schools require a specific format for resumes. It just adds a professional look to the resume book and makes it easier on recruiters to scan them. I don't know if Harvard is that hard-ass about it.

The other thing, a non-standard resume may do the same thing as wearing a powder-blue suit to a recruiting event, it's the kind of attention you DON'T want.

And about the business card thing, yeah, it's pretty typical to hand them out. You attend an event, chat it up with a company recruiter, then offer (they'll often ask if they're interested) your business card. It's a nice way for them to get your contact info.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 03:52
To be included in the resume book usually you are required to use the schools format. Just follow their layout.

Helg is right for the most part fulltime hiring was greater than internships. I guess overtime companies have started increasing their internships and reducing the number of non-intern fulltime hires. The wildcard this year is the delayed starts for lots of people. It could negatively impact class of 2010.

International offices often send folks to a city in the US and then fly people there. I have friends who went to the big 3 in international locations and flew to places like NYC or San Fran depending where in the world they were heading.

You can recruit for whatever you want. You can try to recruit for as many thing as you want but you dont want to do it half heartedly. Definitely know what your primary goal is and go hard after it.

Business cards are a waste in my opinion. Usually the only people excited to get them are applicants. Recruiters dont care, they have sign in sheets at events with all your information. I know when I recruited at my last job business cards got tossed in the trash immediately. Most people I know say afterwards its a waste of $30 or whatever it costs and now they have hundreds of cards that will never get used.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 08:05
riverripper wrote:
Business cards are a waste in my opinion. Usually the only people excited to get them are applicants. Recruiters dont care, they have sign in sheets at events with all your information. I know when I recruited at my last job business cards got tossed in the trash immediately. Most people I know say afterwards its a waste of $30 or whatever it costs and now they have hundreds of cards that will never get used.

The only time I can think when a business card would come in handy is in the case of a casual alumni gathering or something of the sort where you meet someone intersting and want to keep in touch, maybe not just for recruiting purposes. Plus it's always awkward when someone asks for your card and you don't have one.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 14:20
riverripper wrote:

Those bastards! You could have told me this before I ordered them!

RF

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 14:53
refurb wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Those bastards! You could have told me this before I ordered them!

RF

As domtri33 quite rightly pointed out, it feels awful when you are asked for a b-card and you have none
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 15:20
helg wrote:
As domtri33 quite rightly pointed out, it feels awful when you are asked for a b-card and you have none

This is true. I'm sure they'll get about as much use as the business cards I had at work.

250 cards and maybe gave out 5!

Actually, they are kinda useful outside of recruiting. Like others have said, you often meet a lot of interesting people in your time at b-school and it's an easy way to exchange info!

RF

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 18:10
I see business cards are popular ;-) Thanks for all replies and advice!
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Few random questions [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 18:52
I've gotten business cards while visiting schools, during student led tours and lunches. I thought that it was a nice touch and would be useful for people who aren't on this forum or already have friends at the school to have someone to ask future questions to.
Re: Few random questions   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2009, 18:52