Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Finally [#permalink] New post 17 May 2005, 18:44
I still think I might be dreaming. I took the GMAT today and scored a 740. When I saw the score on the screen I just couldnt believe it, especially considering I scored a 530 one month ago. This is how I did it.
The first rule: NEVER quit. I know it sounds cliche, but this is key if you want to do your best. Dont get discouraged if you get a low score your first (or second) time. You want to go to B school, and nothing should keep you from achieving that goal. Dont go into your first test thinking: "well this is it, do or die". Instead think: "If I jack this up, I will just take the test again, because nothing can stop me from achieving my goals." This mentality will make you more relaxed, and more likely to do well on the test.
Rule 2: PREPARE your ass off. I started by going to a used bookstore and buying some teachers editions of algebra books BECAUSE I AM A MATH RETARD :-D . I looked through them and created a personalized study plan focusing on GMAT material. After 2 months of this, I purchased
The Princeton Review Math Workout
The Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT
Barrons GMAT (which is worthless)
Kaplan GMAT 800 (which is awsome, buy it)
I spent about 2 months with this material before getting through it all. I scored:
550 PR test 1
600 PR test 2
610 PR test 3
580 Barrons piece of crap test
Then I was off to the testing center. Man I felt great. I knew this would be the day I aced the GMAT. I even winked at the camera when they take your picture before you write the test. Halfway through the quant I felt like I had it. Everything seemed really easy (which in retrospect means I was SUCKING). I got through the verbal no problem. Then I saw my score. I honestly almost cried (Im a 25 year old man mind you). I could not believe I scored a 530. I felt defeated. However, somewhere in between the testing center and my car I decided I would not give up. I would take the test again.
I bought:
Kaplan GMAT (you need this)
The Official Guide (you need this too)
I scheduled the test for a little over a month from my failed attempt at GMAT greatness. I studied about 1.5 hours a day for the first 2 weeks (taking practice tests on the weekends) that reminds me...
Rule 3: When you take the pratice tests TAKE THE AWA SECTION dont just skip it. AWA is like someone throwing a tire at you in an obstacle course, you need to be ready to deal with it.
The last 2 week I increased to about 2.5 hours a day, then 4 hours on the last week. I took a practice test the day before my real test (yesterday). I scored:
Kaplan 1:550
Kaplan 2:540 (did I mention these tests are WAY harder than GMAT?)
PP 1:650
PP 2:700
I did the entire Kaplan CD tutorial thing (very helpful). And I got through about half of the OG. During this month I exercised almost every day, this is key. I meditated. And I didn't take any drugs (except caffiene). I am an insomniac and I take Ambien to sleep. Getting off this shit wasvery important for my success (although it meant I got no sleep the night b4 test). I prayed (not religious but what the hell, it cant hurt right?).
The day of the test I ate breakfast (which I normally dont do), worked out, ate lunch, then wrote the test. And now I have a score that could get me into any school :lol: . You can too. Just remember: never ever ever give up.

email me if this helps
josephs@goldenstarproperties.com
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2005, 18:53
Awesome increase bigtime! Congratulation and I'm sure you still are ecstatic about your score. All the best.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2005, 19:25
Bigtime,
congratulations for your grt work. your story is awesome and inspiring. this world needs people like you.

all the best.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2005, 11:42
hey Congrats man!

That's a really remarkable turn around....530 to 740 in a month...now that's something.....

best of luck for all your future endaevours...

cheers!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 May 2005, 09:12
Bigtime,

Wow, that is a remarkable turnaround :o . In your estimation, to what would you attribute the different results? Did you study differently, were the new materials just that important, or was it more of a combination of the two?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2005, 17:18
Congartulations on getting a terrific score...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 13:05
hoffman856 wrote:
Bigtime,

Wow, that is a remarkable turnaround :o . In your estimation, to what would you attribute the different results? Did you study differently, were the new materials just that important, or was it more of a combination of the two?

The main difference in my study method was the OG, and practicing with AWA. I think the following factors made the biggest difference:
exercise day of test
OG
Practice test day before test
Change in mentality
The whole game changed when I made the personal decision never to give up. I really believe that this is the fundamental "winner" mentality you need to have for success in anything, and I learned it from this test.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 09:14
Hey BigTime, congratulations!!!

Could you post your Verbal experience please in the real GMAT test. talk about little bit about the structure...1st 4 SCs, next 2 CRs, and then a RC, etc, etc. Also how was your timing towards the end of your test. How long did you take for the first 10 questions. The last 10-15 questions. What do you think was your accuracy with the last 10-15 questions.
  [#permalink] 04 Jun 2005, 09:14