Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Finally done!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Finally done! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 19:53
I took my GMAT this morning, and it was my second attempt. The first time I got 620 back in Aug 2004. The score was not great... it was way below the avg of the schools I want to apply for... I need at least a 650...

Starting in September, I decided to give it another try, so I started my study plan and I tried to identify the reasons that I failed the first time. I failed not only because I did not prepare enough for it but also because I was stressed out. Although I spent 2 months going through OG, taking the testmaster course, doing some problems from other prep materials such as Kaplan and PR, I did not spend enough time doing problems on computer. Thus, I did not get used to the CAT format, and that was one reason that I failed the first time. Moreover, although I felt that i knew the answers to all the questions in OG, i did not really understand it.... even when I got the right answer, I could not really explain my approach.

After I identified my problems, I only did problems on computer (I actually bought a laptop for this...), and I was able to get LSAT files (both RC and CR) so that I could also practice those on computer. I started spending more and more times browsing this forum and trying to explain and understand the problems. I took numerous practice tests from 800 score, Kaplan, Cambridge and PP. Kaplan's scores were always disappointing, but I tried not to focus too much on the scores.

During the last week of my test, all I did was doing problems from this forum and taking practice tests. Because my test was at 8:30, I tried to wake up by 5:30 everyday to warm up and get my brain start functioning. On the day of my test, which is today, I did some CR problems at a cafe next to the test center so my brain would function the way ETS prefers. Right before the test, I told myself that it is OKAY to fail so that I dont' stress myself out... (just want to make a note here, I was shaking the whole time on my first test). During the test, the math section was relatlvely okay compared to my first attempt, and I got some difficult questions but I managed to have some time left when I was done. The verbal started w/ 5 SC questions followed by 2 CR questions... and then I got 2 passages back to back... I spent too much time on RCs so I ran out of time. I still managed to finish the verbal section without havnig time reading the last RC. I was disappointed after my test because i knew I failed on time management on the verbal section. Of course my score reflects this... but I am extremely happy with this score! I got a 700 (Q 50, V 34). I am done... i am relieved...... and I have to thank everyone on this forum. I learned so much from participating in the discussion, undestanding people's explanation, and most importantly reading people's experience... Thank you all... good luck with everyone with the test, and my recommendation is INDENTIFY UR WEAKNESSES, PRACTICE ON COMPUTER, DON'T BE TOO HARD ON URSELF, and GOOD TIME MANAGEMENT. I am sure all of you will be satisfy with your scores!! Best LUCK!
:-D

Just an FYI,

my kaplan scores are from 580 - 650
800 Score are from 650-700
Cambridge scores are from 670-730
PP 720 & 740 ( I do feel that the real GMAT is a little bit more difficult, but could be due to my stress level :oops: )
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Congratulations! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 00:57
Thank you for sharing your experience and congratuations!

Stories like yours inspire me to keep studying everyday. I'm about to finish OG and have been encountering those tough questions near the end of each section. Needless to say, the percentages of questions that I got right went down, and I felt discouraged today. A trip to the gym soon made me feel better. It's very important to keep one's mind focused on studying and being positive.

Good luck with your applications!

Questor
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 05:17
Bravo doggita! Great score and good luck with your applications! :band :musband :good

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 05:42
Congrats and good luck with your applications.

Swath20
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 06:06
Congratulations Doggita! Great score! :woohoo

Thanks for all the good questions you posted on the verbal forum.

good luck on your apps. :gl
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 21:21
congratulations.. that must be some relief!!!!!!! good luck with ur apps
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2004, 15:29
Congrats Doggita!
Thanks for all your valuable posts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2004, 09:52
kudos to you and congrats on the awesome score doggita. your posts especially in CR have been very helpful in my prep. thanks again for sending me the LSat questions and i want to wish you good luck with the apps. cheers :beer :-D :wave :gl :band
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2004, 14:43
Wow, great score!! Good luck with apps
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2004, 14:51
congratulations doggita.

thank you for sharing your experience... good luck!
  [#permalink] 27 Dec 2004, 14:51