Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Post.. Tips needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
First Post.. Tips needed [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 21:24
Hello Friends,

Looks like this forum is wonderful and helping lot of people to get into top business school. I am very happy to join this forum today.

My Goal: To get into top 10 business schools partime/full time(not yet decided)

Target Score: 700+

MBA Specializtion: IT/ Finance (Not Yet decided)

Strong : Maths/Quant
Weak : Verbal

My Profile:
I am 30 years old male Indian national. I have Masters degree in Engineering from IIT (India's top 5 school) with CPA 9.33/10 (equivalent GPA 3.732/4.00). I have been working in IT software industry for last 7 years.

I just started today looking into this forum (got here through google search). Would like to crack GMAT with 700+..score . I believe with all your help and hard work I can do it.

I have ordered the following 11 books from Barns & Noble. Would like to jumpin once i get the books (probably will receive them on Monday 11/12/2007).

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review
Official Guide for GMAT Review
Manhattat GMAT books
----------------------
Equations, Inequalities, and Vic's, 2007 Edition
Fractions, Decimals, and Percents GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition
Geometry GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition
Word Translations GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition
Number Properties GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition
Reading Comprehension GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition
Critical Reasoning GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition
Sentence Correction GMAT Preparation Guide, 2007 Edition

1) With my profile is it Easy to get into top 10 business school. Is there anyone with similar profile got into top 10 BS?
2) Please suggest any other books that helps to improve Verbal Score.

Thats..all for today night.. feeling sleepy. :lol:

--Suresh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 22:11
Just like you, I am strong at Quant and weak at Verbal.

I recommend that you first familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of the test, and for this I strongly recommend Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT. They give a solid introduction, and their material is probably good enough to get you into the 650-720 range.

After that, it's just a matter of finding your weaknesses and targeting them, and the best way to accomplish this is to do a lot of problems from the OG11.

Also, pick up the SC, RC, and CR 1000s from these forums, as they are great tools for brute forcing the right mindset in your head.

For Quant, you sound fairly competent, so I would not worry about it too much. The math is pretty straightforward for people with a technical background. At the same time, I wouldn't skimp too much on it because a few too many careless errors could put you just out of the 99%ile.

If you are great at Quant, 700+ should not be very difficult, a 51+Q score can take you there with just mediocre Verbal skills.

Best,
J
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 07:02
Thanks Jing!! Thats encouraging. Will get the Princeton review Cracking the GMAT.

Quote:
Also, pick up the SC, RC, and CR 1000s from these forums, as they are great tools for brute forcing the right mindset in your head.

What are SC,RC, CR 1000s ? Can you please elaborate.
Quote:
lot of problems from the OG11.

Does OG11 refers to the following 3 books (Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
Official Guide for GMAT Review )
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 08:02
x2suresh wrote:
Thanks Jing!! Thats encouraging. Will get the Princeton review Cracking the GMAT.

Quote:

What are SC,RC, CR 1000s ? Can you please elaborate.
Quote:
lot of problems from the OG11.

Does OG11 refers to the following 3 books (Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
Official Guide for GMAT Review )

Check out the stickies at the top of each section of this forum, you'll find a lot of great information there and become familiar with the lingo of this forum.

SC, RC, CR 1000s refer to word documents (of which origin I have no clue) that each contains 1000 of the three listed question types for verbal.

SC, RC, CR of course stand for Sentence Correction, Reading Comprehension, and Critical Reasoning, the three types of Verbal questions you will encounter.

OG 11 typically refers to the Official Guide for GMAT Review (11th Edition), but of course in this context the additional Quant and Verbal Review can/should be included.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 08:10
Thank you buddy! I got the link. Now it is clear.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

New to Forum ...Tips needed for Preparation [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 03:26
Can anyone help me out with what r all the Books to be ordered for a good score..

PLZ HELP ME OUT..
New to Forum ...Tips needed for Preparation   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2007, 03:26