Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First, resume

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First, resume [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 14:14
Hi all, please move this thread to wherever it needs to be because I can't find the appropriate subforum to post onto.

I am really struggling right now because of....my cover letter and resume. I graduated from UCLA with a biology degree in 2008 and was planning on applying to dental schools, but recently I have a newfound interest in business, especially marketing and finance, that I have begin considering MBA as a potential career. I understand that in order to get into top schools I would need a good GMAT score and 2-4 years of work experience at least. So that's what I'm doing right now, looking for a job. I came across the Morgan Stanley's financial analyst position (or program) and I am very very interested. However, I do not have any econ background except that one micro-econ class I took for GE. All my previous experiences were pre-health related and they are all volunteers. Those volunteer experiences I've had did not involve anything remotely related to econ.

I asked my cousin who graduated from Moore's IMBA and is currently the student ambassador for Moore's about my situation and he gave me several pointers...
1. do some soul searching so you'll know if you will like business (if I can't find a job how can I be properly exposed to the business field to determine whether I like it or not?)
2. there are no wrong experiences, you just have to play the story right. (It seems to me that there is no way to tie my pre-health experience into business)

So my questions are:

1. how can I tie my pre-health courses and volunteer experience into econ and business? (The only thing I can think of is my biochem lab and other labs where large amount of data were needed and standard deviation and percent error were used to accept or reject certain hypotheses.)

2. What could I possibly have to put on my resume in order to be considered?

3. What does a financial analyst REALLY do? I couldn't find any clear definition on it.

Thank you very much for helping.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: First, resume [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 21:43
bump plz
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: First, resume [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 10:30
Hi Wynnshang, perhaps and hopefully I can help shed some light.

I graduated from UCSD in 2007 with a Biology major. I was hoping to get into research but found it unappealing after a few quarters. I stuck it out with bio and graduated. After college, I've decided to go into business, not that I know much about it. However, after getting into the Operations side of things, I learned that I may really like this business-related thing a lot. The thing that I want to say is that business schools look for all sorts of people. It doesn't matter what you have as undergrad, business schools care about what you do afterwards and what impact you make in your job and in your community. My honest opinion is that if you don't have any sorts of business/economics related material, you just have to convince the peeps at Morgan Stanley that you're willing to put in the work - this is my guess as I'm no financial analyst.

Since you may want to go into Marketing, you'd really need to get some experience in Marketing prior to business school; otherwise, recruits would treat you like you've got no experience and ultimately defeat the purpose of attending business school. Since you don't have much experience in business, you should really try your best to look for a job in the business field. I understand the importance of gaining admissions to big companies, such as Morgan Stanley or McKinsey, but when I started in business I wanted to be realistic with myself and really gauge at my chances of getting into these companies. I, too, had no real business background in college, except for the economics GE course and calculus series. As of right now, if I were you I'd focus on getting a job in whatever business field you can and just gain that experience. As long as you make that impact and do your due diligence, a good business school will accept you. You can also look into Healthcare-related field (prior to MBA or even after MBA), which means you'll have the upper-hand when compared with econ majors. Just be true to yourself on your resume when you're applying for that job at Morgan-Stanley, or when you're applying for b-school.

If you want, you can always private message me here and I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts with you. As I've said, I'm going through the same process as you are, and I've done plenty of research on business schools.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: First, resume [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 09:34
Hi Wynnshang,

I read your profile with interest. To summarize, you would like to switch to business with a biology background.

The good news - this is very possible. I recently had a client who had a biology degree, got into a healthcare fund and is now waiting to hear back on MBA applications with a strong application and a 700+ GMAT score. However, it takes time to reposition yourself. For starters, the financial services industry is going through one of its worst periods right now, and is less apt to look at candidates with less relevant experiences/degrees, especially places like Morgan Stanley that receive dozens of applications from candidates with finance/econ degrees everyday.

If you know for sure that you would like to go into business, there are plenty of entry-level positions for candidates with a bachelor's degree from a well-known college. Do you have any work experience since you graduated in 2008 or from college internships? Start looking for jobs across industries that require a bachelor's degree regardless of concentration - with your background, education and healthcare/pharmaceuticals immediately come to mind...

Read the rest of my evaluation at the Ask MyMBA Admit thread.

My MBA Admit also offers career counseling. This is an intense program wherein we engage in discussion about your professional strengths, career ambitions and industry/geographic preferences. Through these sessions, we help you focus on your preferred areas within your preferred function. Further, we also help you maximize your chances of employment with a proven targeted recruiting strategy. Email us at mbaconsult@MyMBAAdmit.com to find out more.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: First, resume   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2010, 09:34