Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

for Kellogg students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

for Kellogg students [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2004, 21:06
Scott,
Have you taken a Microeconomic class at Kellogg? If so, what book are you using? Who is the author of the book?

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2004, 23:05
MECN 450 Macroeconomics

Abel and Bernanke, Macroeconomics, Addison Wesley, 4th ed., 2001.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 07:18
Expert's post
Yup, I took MECN 430, which is the intro micro course. It was taught by David Besanko (although there are a few other profs who also teach it), and we used his book. It's called Microeconomics: An Integrated Approach, and is by Besanko and Braeutigam (the publisher is Wiley). The book is actually the abridged version. I give credit to Besanko for admitting that we didn't need to buy the whole, original book! BTW, if you're headed to Kellogg, Besanko is an awesome prof. A very caring person. I highly recommend taking him for econ.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

for Scott [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 14:28
Scott,
Thanks for your reply. How did you find Microeconomics? When did you start at Kellogg? I am still working on a higher gmat score just to get in to Kellogg. Any advice?

Thanks

Kath
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2004, 15:02
Expert's post
I graduated from Kellogg just a month ago. A lot of people at Kellogg told me to waive the micro class if I could (I may have been able to), saying that it was dull, but I actually thought it was one of the better classes that I took at Kellogg. Besanko, who's a tremendous teacher, obviously had a lot to do with that. But I also enjoyed it a lot in retrospect because it was such a fundamental building block of many of the other courses I took, many of which were dedicated to strategy. I had taken micro in undergrad and thought, "Yeah, yeah, supply meets demand, Pareto efficiency, blah blah blah," but there was a lot of more higher-level thinking stuff that I just didn't get (or maybe just didn't appreciate) the first time around. Anyway, I definitely recommend taking it, even if you can waive out of it.

Good luck! Don't worry too much about the GMAT. I mean, obviously you you want to do well, but no one at the top business schools is remarkable because of his or her GMAT score alone.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 26 Jul 2004, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

for Scott [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2004, 18:23
Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Congrats for finishing at Kellogg. I would love to graduate from Kellogg as well. Did you have a mentor from Kellogg? I am aiming for winter 2005 admissions for the TMProgram. As of this point, I am still reviewing for the gmat. Hopefully, I will be done by August or September 2004.

Wish me all the luck!

Kath
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2004, 07:49
Expert's post
Do you mean, did I have a Kellogg alum as a mentor during the applicatoin process? I sort of did. A guy I used to work with was a Kellogg alum, but he had been through the EMP (Executive Masters, for people with a good deal of experience), so his experiences were very different from what I experienced at Kellogg. Still, I got a recommendation from him, which may have helped a little.

Good luck to you. The TMP program seems to be a lot easier to get into than the full-time program (on a pure numbers basis), so you should have a good shot.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews