Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For Those Who Know Computers -- Please Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

For Those Who Know Computers -- Please Help [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 08:28
I'm trying to put my Lenovo laptop together and I'm a little confused on some of the configuration options.

(1) When I select Windows XP instead of Vista, I get a message that says, "Selection of XP Professional operating system does not allow a configuration with Intel® Turbo Memory 1GB. "

Any idea what this means?

(2) What are "system expansion slots"? Any strong opinions on what is the best way to go? The options presented are:

PC Card Slot & Express Card Slot

PC Card Slot & Media Card Slot [$0.00]

PC Card Slot & Smart Card Slot [add $25.00]

(3) Wireless card options, any strong opinions on whether it's necessary to get the more expensive option? Sounds like this has greater compatibility with different wireless networks, but I'm too computer-retarded to know if this is really necessary.

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN [add $45.00]

ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ

(4) Any pressing reason to get Bluetooth? Is there any time in the course of school where I'll be kicking myself for not getting this? Are there a bunch of new Bluetooth applications coming down the pipeline that I should be preparing for? I'm a pretty low-tech guy, so I'm assume this probably isn't necessary for someone like me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 08:52
Let me try:

1. Intel® Turbo Memory is only available if you are taking the Vista. So if you are choosing XP, you can't select the Turbo Memory. And please choose XP....

2. The PC card slot is standard. Choose the media card slot if you use SD/miniSD cards often (e.g. for camera or PDA). Express card is the next generation of PC card.

3. The standard wireless option should be good enough for most of your uses.

3. BT gives flexiblity. You can use a wireless BT mouse, connect to your BT-enabled phone or PDA. You can use a BT headset when you use skype.... no wire. For an extra $20, I would take it.

Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 09:30
Definitely go with XP on Lenovos for now. They have some issue with their internal software conflicting with Vista and turbo memory. I sent my T61 back because of this issue.

I'd recommend going with the PC Card Slot and Express Card Slot. You can get a card reader for media cards that will fit into either of those slots for about $10; and then you'll be covered for whatever you need. A Smart Card is pretty much only used in a corporate environment. It's a security device where you stick your car in before you can log on, or access certain stuff. If you don't know what it is, you don't need it.

There's quite a bit of discussion that the Thinkpad ABGN card is the best wireless card. It's supposed to have better range and battery life than the Intel option. I believe those cards will actually delay your system though. The "N" is not a widespread standard yet, but it's moving that way. Any of the cards should actually be fine, so if you don't have a strong preference, just go with whatever is cheapest.

Bluetooth can be used for quite a few things. You can think of it as a substitute for a USB cable for devices that are bluetooth capable. As tkoh suggested, a bluetooth mouse is the most common device, and it's pretty handy to carry around if you prefer it. So instead of plugging in a mouse via USB cable, a bluetooth mouse will work as long as it is near your computer. Most handheld devices will now sync over bluetooth, so you can not worry about cables. Some newer printers, music players and other devices have it as well, so you can work with those without USB cables. You can use a bluetooth headset to chat or make skype calls. I guess it just depends on whether that kind of stuff interests you.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 12:35
johnny which model are you picking up? I got the x60 w/ bluetooth and neither xp nor vista offered me the turbo memory? my choice was the standard PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory chips?

For the others: would this standard memory with Vista be a good combo? I have a couple of friends who got it and have not had any issues

I believe its yogurt!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 12:59
The X60 does not have issues. The problems are with the new models X61/T61/R61. These computers have the new Intel Santa Rosa chipset. Turbo memory is part of this chipset. Lenovo's factory software seems to have a conflict with the new chip set and/or turbo memory and/or Vista.

Computers with either XP or the older chipset (as the X60 has) should be problem free.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 15:55
Awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

Gmatmba - I'm getting the T61.

I actually chose the T61 because I know very little about computers and I read another post where Pelihu explained his reasons for selecting the T61, and I figured if someone who knows computers put a lot of time into researching various options and decided to go w/ the T61, then that would work for me. I suppose Pelihu should be getting a commission on my sale!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 16:31
Just to assure you, if you need any assurance, the T-serie is a good pick. It is a powerful workhorse. I was actually given one by the school, but decided to exchange for cash and get an X-serie instead (mobility is a key factor for me)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2007, 15:52
I have the x61s with Vista for several days now and the only problem is the weak connection with the Intel Pro Wireless card. It drifts in and out of being connected even when I am close to a router. I've called Lenovo/IBM for service and they are sending a technician out on Monday to check it out.

I've had a lot of problems with technical support. All of Lenovo's technical support is by IBM in Atlanta and I am less than impressed with the staff. The hold times are many times longer than Dell in India and Dell technical people seem much more knowledgeable and consistent. IBM didn't even have my warranty information correctly each time insisting I have depot support when I purchased next business day on site support. It was a hassle just trying to change my wireless card.

I first reported my problem on Tuesday and I won't get a on site call until next Monday. I complained to a Lenovo supervisor and she gave me a 10% credit off the sales price. At least that will pay for an external optical drive.

Overall, I am very happy with the notebook; no heat problem, no Vista problem and no speed problem.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 06:39
gmatmba wrote:
johnny which model are you picking up? I got the x60 w/ bluetooth and neither xp nor vista offered me the turbo memory? my choice was the standard PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory chips?

For the others: would this standard memory with Vista be a good combo? I have a couple of friends who got it and have not had any issues

You only see the Intel Tubo memory option when you choose >=1G of RAM. If you chose 512MB, you won't see that option. If you chose 512MB, make sure that you buy more RAM on your own since you are using Vista.
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 09:01
Hey Johnny,.. I don't know if you've bought it already. But a new coupon came out, 10% savings I think. If you've bought it already, call Lenovo and ask for a reimbursement of the 10% :)
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 09:14
I hope I don't break any rules into this.
But try to check onto http://www.notebookreview.com
It's so helpful. I've been reasearching for quite some time as well, but I haven't bought since I do not need it yet.

That forum is like the gmatclub for laptops :)
  [#permalink] 23 Jul 2007, 09:14