Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: General Recommendations [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Well, to be honest, a distance learning program is less likely to get you the goals you are aiming at. You do certainly pick up some technical information, but you lack the real interaction with PEOPLE, faculty, students and alumni alike) that quite often not only boosts your learning curve but are sources for jobs, internships, business partners, etc.

If you have decent work experience, and your profile is otherwise strong, you could reasonably apply to the schools of your choice this year even with your low GPA. The important thing to do would be to address the problem head on: Write a moving essay (I would say usually in the optional essay) explaining the reason for your low grades, SHOWING the AdCom that you had great grades until this challenging event in your life, while at the same time assuring them of your intellectual capacity in other ways.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you precisionessay. I realize now that I just need to study for the gmat and try to make as high as possible I really think that I can make in the mid 700s, especially since on most of the english part, I just picked what sounded the best on the practice exam. I support my wife and one son. My dad said he would help me with money if I decide to go back to school, but I do not like getting money from anyone, even if he has a good high-paying job. My wife is currently in school to be an elementary teacher (yea I know jobs are tough and that I wouldn't pick this career). She has 2 years left, so I am going to wait for her and get my gmat score as high as possible, along with more work experience (less than 2 years currently). I agree that I need great essays, great recommendations, and to tone up my interviewing skills. I think that I am getting a little ahead of myself, but this really excites me. Do you think this is the best route?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
I do! I like your long term planning. When you aren't in a rush you have more time to strategize carefully and overcome any obstacles you have. Plus, working it out so it fits your wife's plans too makes a lot of sense. :)

This might also be a good time for you to fill up on any extra curriculars, especially community service if your profile is lacking it.
GMAT Club Bot