Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Georgetown EP (Evening Program) Stats & Feedback

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Goizueta '15
GMAT 1: 650 Q36 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Georgetown EP (Evening Program) Stats & Feedback [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 20:59
Hi,

I'm interesting in any qualitative feedback or statistical information applicants to and current students with the Georgetown EP can provide as to GMAT, years work experience, type of work experience (government vs. private // managerial vs. non-managerial) and whether, in their opinion, the evening program has strong ties to the local business community as well as international development groups such as the World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, African Development Bank, USAID, etc.

I'm a corporate/business lawyer (3 years experience) in the Capital Region who is interested in attending Georgetown's Evening Program (EP). I did my undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania (GPA 3.2) with a major in Philosophy, Politics and Economics; law school at The George Washington University Law School (GPA 3.0); and recently sat for the GMAT without any prep (GMAT 650 --approx. 98%Verbal, 40%Math). I'm looking to apply for admission to the Fall of 2013, so the app won't be sent in until December 2012.

I attended a preview event in the 2011 and found the campus, students, and program to be just what I was looking for, but decided to wait another year before I apply in order to gain a little more experience and save a little more money. I'm also debating whether I should pick up a math prep-book, study the math and re-take the GMAT to secure a more balanced and possibly higher score. I know that the admissions office wants to see demonstrated quantitative ability, and I'm concerned that the disparity between my scores could be a problem. With that in mind, I'd appreciate any feedback on the application process and the school in light of the context set forth above.

Thanks,

// AE
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Georgetown EP (Evening Program) Stats & Feedback [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
I think your numbers look good for the Georgetown MBA Evening program. As you probably could tell from the GMAT, the verbal section is very similar to the LSAT, and considering that you went to GW, a hell of a school in its own right, I don't think you'll have to do much more prep in that section. With a couple months of prep in math, you could be getting your math score in the mid 40's which will be great.

The median at Georgetown has been between 660-670 most years but 650 is well in the middle 50%ile, and if they're emphasizing quantitative effort, then you probably want to look at the quant score more. Considering that MBA apps have gone down in the past several years, I wouldn't be surprised in the median dropped to 650 at Georgetown for the incoming class of 2015 (entering fall 2012). With UG GPA, unlike law school, MBA programs don't scrutinize it as much, given that applicants are farther out from college than law school applicants tend to be, and there are more law applicants to fewer schools than in business too. Given that you went to Penn, I'd say you're fine. God knows how many will apply this year, but I don't anticipate a really high amount because it's a very structured MBA as compared with Maryland and GW which provide flex options.

If you went to law school right after college, which is what a considerable amount (up to half at some schools) do, three years WE is still good, though yes, it is a bit on the low side but not too low. If you did stuff before law school, that could be a great plus depending what you did. As with essays, you'll have to write how the MBA would fit in with your goals. since you're in corporate law, the concepts in the MBA will be directly applicable to your clients. Or are you trying to make a total career change? If that's so, a PT program will be less likely to take you because these programs are for career advancers/developers. Either way, not many lawyers apply to MBA school in the DC area which is dominated mostly by a combination of the local investment banks, consulting firms, military officers, and the feds (huge variety of guys here). So you have a plus in this area.

Still finishing essays now as the first round deadline has been delayed to Tuesday, January 17 so I'm applying to R1 for 2012 fall incoming.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Goizueta '15
GMAT 1: 650 Q36 V44
GPA: 3.18
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Georgetown EP (Evening Program) Stats & Feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 04:38
NovaNative,

Thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering what kind of international work experience you're going to write about for the essay questions that ask about prior international experience that is non-vacation related? My family is from Latin America and I've traveled their extensively for vacations, but my only non-vacation experience thus far was a two week trip during college to Shanghai to meet with business leaders in 2004 through the Wharton-Asian-Exchange-Program. My thought is that it might be prudent to go on another two week trip prior to business school with a volunteer group. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and best of luck!

//AE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Georgetown EP (Evening Program) Stats & Feedback [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 08:01
There is no essay this year that specifically addresses international work experience but there was a list of countries I could enter for , and I don't have any. I don't think you should go out of your way to go on an international trip unless it had something specifically to do with your job right now or your long term goal.

I'm sure some consultants have gone on such trips, but I don't think it would be held against anyone who didn't go on international trips. Plenty of folks never had that chance at work, and a good amount of people didn't have the chance to study abroad in college either. I wasn't able to.

I'd also limit college study experiences in an essay, and even law school too though I've seen many successful essays regarding college extra curricular activities which I think is fine and the Wharton exchange seems to fit the former (I'm not from Penn so you know this better).
Re: Georgetown EP (Evening Program) Stats & Feedback   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2012, 08:01