Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 670: Profile Eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 670: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 08:53
Kindly help me out by evaluating the below profile. Let me know if the school choices look ok. Also suggest any other descent school that you see fit.

1) Basic demographic info: 26, Male, Indian (working in Singapore)

2) Educational Background: B.Eng Computer Engineering, GPA: 3.54/4 , GMAT: 670 (47 35)

3) Work experience: Worked in IT (financial services) for 4 years in Singapore. Started as an analyst and now perform tech lead roles.

4) Extracurriculars: Organized philanthropical fund raisers in corporates and college. Have volunteered seminars for youth empowerment. Run my own band of young musicians and part-time musician

5) Short/Long term goals: Post MBA I want to get into consulting.

6) Schools: HKUST, IE, Said, Judge, Carnegie Mellon, Tuck
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: GMAT 670: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 18:12
klvsajay wrote:
Kindly help me out by evaluating the below profile. Let me know if the school choices look ok. Also suggest any other descent school that you see fit.

1) Basic demographic info: 26, Male, Indian (working in Singapore)

2) Educational Background: B.Eng Computer Engineering, GPA: 3.54/4 , GMAT: 670 (47 35)

3) Work experience: Worked in IT (financial services) for 4 years in Singapore. Started as an analyst and now perform tech lead roles.

4) Extracurriculars: Organized philanthropical fund raisers in corporates and college. Have volunteered seminars for youth empowerment. Run my own band of young musicians and part-time musician

5) Short/Long term goals: Post MBA I want to get into consulting.

6) Schools: HKUST, IE, Said, Judge, Carnegie Mellon, Tuck

Hello,

Please find my comments on individual components of application process

1) GMAT : Your GMAT is on lower side for almost all the schools mentioned by you. You are a part of the most competitive pool (indian engineering male), so you have to pay the price and i think with 670, your chances for the schools are not good. Aim for 720+ (or at least touch 700 mark).

2) Work Ex - Your work ex has a career progression that is good, but you must exhibit in your essay as to how you have been better then the others. Every year hundreds of students with similar background to you apply at these schools, the challenge for you is to prove as to how you are different from the rest of the peers (whether you had some SUPER leadership exposure ? or Whether you grew much faster than rest of the peers at work etc etc )

3) EC - Highlight leadership aspect of your EC in your essays.

4) Schools - If you think that you do not want to take GMAT now, you may take internal test of IE.

Hope this helps

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 670: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 18:25
Hmmmm...thought as much.

So what schools do you suggest I apply to? I guess hkust and ie in that list can be retained. Apart from these 2 what other descent schools should I consider (assuming I do not want to give the GMAT again).

Also could you throw more light on the IE internal test?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: GMAT 670: Profile Eval [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 18:47
klvsajay wrote:
Hmmmm...thought as much.

So what schools do you suggest I apply to? I guess hkust and ie in that list can be retained. Apart from these 2 what other descent schools should I consider (assuming I do not want to give the GMAT again).

Also could you throw more light on the IE internal test?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Hello,

Apart from those mentioned, i can suggest

Asia - HKU, give a try to Nanyang, CEIBS (stretch, but you may try) === Almost all asian b-schools (except ISB and Insead) have limited no of seats. I do not see any school where indian applicants would not be applying :), and when we talk about indian applicants what comes to my mind immediately is -- Engineer and High GMAT score.

I am not disappointing you to apply, but if you apply to the schools, you have to prove that why the school should take you with 670 even if a similar profile applicant has 700+, and you can prove this with your essays.

US - You will have a good chance fo 15-20 (without scholarship), and you may take your chance for schools between (10-15).

IE test - PM me, and i will send you a document for the same.

Hope this helps

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: GMAT 670: Profile Eval   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2012, 18:47