Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Advice Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 3: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 33

GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 14:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The school that I wish to attend tells me that I need to be at atleast the 60th percentile in quant in order to have a reasonable chance of being accepted. With my latest gmat test I am at the 55th percentile. Up to this point I have used manhattan gmat study books to prep. I've decided to give myself 2-3 months additional study to prepare for what I hope to be my 3rd and last attempt at the gmat.

As a result, my question is as follows: What should I use to prep in order to reach my goal of being at or above the 60th percentile in quant? Should I do a deep dive into the manhattan gmat books I already got? Or, is there something else I should be doing like taking an on-line or in-class prep course from manhattan gmat. Or, a prep course from somebody else. What I don't want to do is blindly try a whole bunch of different things and hope that somehow it works.

It seems like more than half the battle in succeeding on the gmat is knowing how to prep.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.22

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
I would highly recommend taking a Kaplan course. I prepared for the GMAT with Kaplan's GMAT on Demand course and was ecstatic with my result.

Have you analyzed your quant. scores i.e do you know where exactly you need help in terms of Problem Solving or Data Sufficiency? For example, if DS is your problem you may be able to take a (cheaper) DS focused course rather than take a general GMAT prep course that covers everything.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [1] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
Buddy, a good news for u
I must tell u that improving ur scores in quant is much much easier than doing the same in verbal...so take a cool breathe....
Do these three things
1) Identify ur weak areas in Quant..distinguish between PS and DS, further See areas ur comfortable with and areas not comfortable with...
this u must be knowing by now n u can recheck it by a diagnostic test..there are so many available for free...check out this link
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu
2) once u know ur weak areas, take them one by one. I have found MGMAT books to be the best, u may take any for that matter..important is that the basic fundamentals should be covered adequately in them..understand the basic concepts...do simple problems , once comfortable move to middle level problems and finally to advance problems... I can bet u this way u will loose ur fear on that topic rather u will be happy to see if a problem comes from that subject in the actual exam.
3) Rinse and repeat for all topics you are weak in.
4) Take a test again n see the remarkable improvement in ur score....which i am sure because this method is a time tested one not only by me but also by our veteran test takers...
hope this helps.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 08:25
Great advice! Thanks for the help. I ran a report off Manhattan GMAT for my last 3 practice tests. In terms of percentage right, I got 55% of the problem solving right and 51% of the data sufficiency. So, comparatively speaking, I am weaker in data sufficiency. In terms of quant content area, the three areas I am poorest in are as follows. I am worst in Geometry with 33% right, followed by Algebra with 46% right, and finally Word Translations with 53% right.

When I look at the break down for Word Translations, the areas that I am at or below 50% on are Statistics with 0% right, Probability with 33% right, Ratios with 50% right, and finally Rates & Work with 50% right.

I wonder if the book "Total GMAT Math" would be helpful, or if I should revisit specific Manhattan GMAT books, or if an online review course like Kaplan's would be helpful?

But, it sounds like going back to specific Manhattan GMAT books would be best.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 08:37
Which of the 5 Manhattan GMAT quant books provide complete coverage of GMAT Algebra? Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Buddy, A wise person is one who knows his Shortcomings and works on them. So having identified the problems , now we know that you need to go through each of the five books cover to cover and repeat...If u need any, let me know.
Moreover, go slow initially,giving more importance on understanding the concept rather than hurrying up on problems...don't worry about time at all...trust with due prac, u will be able to do most of the probs under 2 mins..
so wish u luck... :thumbup:

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 11:33
Thanks again for the great advice! Your recommendations really boil down to what I need to be doing. So, basically I need to go through each of the 5 books cover-to-cover and then when I am done do it all over again. That is a lot of work. But, I am willing to do it.

I have two of the 5 books in the series. So, I will order the other 3 books. Then, I will go through each book cover to cover and then I will take a practice test to see how much I have improved. Then, I will report back to this forum to let you know how much I have improved.

Then, I will start over and go through all 5 books again.

Going through all 5 books is probably going to take me a month or two. But, I will report back once I am done. I've got a lot of work ahead, but no one said accomplishing anything great would be easy.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 14:06
Is there a particular order that is best to go through these 5 quant MGMAT books? Off-hand, the following is the order I am thinking of:

Number Properties
Fractions, Decimals & Percents
Equations, Inequalities, & VICs
Geometry
Word Translations
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
rsampson wrote:
I have two of the 5 books in the series. So, I will order the other 3 books.

pm me what u don't have, i will share with u...afterall we are GMAT clubbers and supposed to help each other. :wink:
rsampson wrote:
Going through all 5 books is probably going to take me a month or two

Buddy, these books look pretty lengthy at the first sight but don't go by the number of pages...once u will immerse urself, u will be able to do each in 3-4 days..
rsampson wrote:
So, basically I need to go through each of the 5 books cover-to-cover and then when I am done do it all over again. That is a lot of work. But, I am willing to do it.

the very first time when u will be reading them , be slow n if possible do a lot of problems of that particular topic. It's the first time deliberate reading with a variety of problems that will give you the much needed comfort and confidence in the subject...
The second time reading is only to revise , which u should be doing very quickly(5-6 hrs/book) and stopping only when u have a doubt or if the concept is still troubling u..
rsampson wrote:
Is there a particular order that is best to go through these 5 quant MGMAT books?

u have quoted the correct order , lemme know which all you don't have...

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 10:44
Thanks again!

Quote:
Buddy, these books look pretty lengthy at the first sight but don't go by the number of pages...once u will immerse urself, u will be able to do each in 3-4 days..

I work during the day Monday thru Friday. So, during the week I only have 2 to 3 hours per day to study. In consideration of this, do you think I can still get through a book in 3-4 days or will it take more like a week or so?

Quote:
the very first time when u will be reading them , be slow n if possible do a lot of problems of that particular topic. It's the first time deliberate reading with a variety of problems that will give you the much needed comfort and confidence in the subject...
The second time reading is only to revise , which u should be doing very quickly(5-6 hrs/book) and stopping only when u have a doubt or if the concept is still troubling u..

Do you mean that I should do all of the problems at the end of a section in the MGMAT book and any problems that the section refers me to in the Official Guide? I think this is what you mean for me to do.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 18:36
This post received
KUDOS
rsampson wrote:
I work during the day Monday thru Friday. So, during the week I only have 2 to 3 hours per day to study. In consideration of this, do you think I can still get through a book in 3-4 days or will it take more like a week or so?

Buddy, in that case u may take a little longer and yes you have to do the problems given in the end and the og 12 problems also...that's a prerequisite with maths atleast...It's the familiarity with different type of problems of a subject giving you the much needed confidence and slowly slowly u will start gaining interest...also develop a habit of doing problems Orally( i mean without writing down, in ur mind)..This is a kind of skill that comes with some practice..one has to train his or her mind in thinking a particular way and this will hold u in good spirit not only in GMAT but in many other spheres of life...I have been doing this for almost 15 yrs now and the first diagnostic test (mgmat 1) i gave with out any preparation, i scored Q 47 (finished 20 mins early)...my waterloo is Verbal as i am struck between 35-40 and the quest is on for taking it upto 45..
rsampson wrote:
Do you mean that I should do all of the problems at the end of a section in the MGMAT book and any problems that the section refers me to in the Official Guide? I think this is what you mean for me to do.

Buddy, trust me , Quant is all about practice, practice and practice...so it's essential to do that way.
one more thing, success tastes good when one has sweat for it....So immerse urself truly in this GMAT journey..we think we have only two to three hours a day but we have all d day with us to prepare in someway for the impending test.
One can always sqeeze in time and this is something i call Immersion.....consider it to be ur religion, eat GAMT, Think GMAT and Sleep GMAT...make flash cards of important formulas and whenever u have time , u must read them......Immerse urself and success will kiss ur feet..
that's my 2 cents ...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 33

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Really great advice. Thank you! I will immerse myself in my GMAT study and after a few weeks I will take a prep test to see how my score has improved. I can see where the verbal could be more difficult than the quantitative. Unfortunately, lanquage does not prescribe to solid set of rules, especially idioms.

Thanks again. I will let you know how I am progressing.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 10:44
rsampson wrote:
I can see where the verbal could be more difficult than the quantitative. Unfortunately, lanquage does not prescribe to solid set of rules, especially idioms.

Thanks again. I will let you know how I am progressing.

buddy, agreed.. verbal takes more time to improve than quant...ur lucky...lol.. :-D
my best wishes with u ...
lemme know if u need ny help...

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 22:38
"A good score in GMAT certainly helps. This is particularly true for quant where Indians generally have a higher percentile.
A comprehensive preparation with a strong command on fundamentals and short-cuts/tricks etc proves particularly helpful. We at General Education have a detailed course that equips you on these fine aspects to take on GMAT with much more confidence. Our excellent faculty and proven pedagogy would prove invaluable."

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 10

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
rsampson wrote:
Great advice! Thanks for the help. I ran a report off Manhattan GMAT for my last 3 practice tests. In terms of percentage right, I got 55% of the problem solving right and 51% of the data sufficiency. So, comparatively speaking, I am weaker in data sufficiency. In terms of quant content area, the three areas I am poorest in are as follows. I am worst in Geometry with 33% right, followed by Algebra with 46% right, and finally Word Translations with 53% right.

When I look at the break down for Word Translations, the areas that I am at or below 50% on are Statistics with 0% right, Probability with 33% right, Ratios with 50% right, and finally Rates & Work with 50% right.

I wonder if the book "Total GMAT Math" would be helpful, or if I should revisit specific Manhattan GMAT books, or if an online review course like Kaplan's would be helpful?

But, it sounds like going back to specific Manhattan GMAT books would be best.

One amazing thing that MGMAT does is give you a invaluable strategy for DS. This is your weak area. I believe this strategy is in the Number Properties book. Its called "rephrase the question". At the end of this chapter they give you sample OG problems where all they ask you to do is to go through the problems and rephrase the questions and statements. This alone has improved my ds from 45% hit rate to 85% hit rate. Try it and thank me later... Key is to apply this method consistently. Investing time upfront on a DS question pays great dividents. Half the time I find that by rephrasing the Q and simplifying I arrive to one of the two statements verbatum.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 06:08
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I appreciate it!

I started reading the Number Properties book for the 2nd time and noticed the chapter you are talking about. I will pay special attention to it when I get to that chapter.

Quote:
Key is to apply this method consistently. Investing time upfront on a DS question pays great dividents.

This sounds like really good advice. I will try to do that. Thanks again.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 10

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 06:20
This post received
KUDOS
rsampson wrote:
Is there a particular order that is best to go through these 5 quant MGMAT books? Off-hand, the following is the order I am thinking of:

Number Properties
Fractions, Decimals & Percents
Equations, Inequalities, & VICs
Geometry
Word Translations

I would say you should do them in this order
1) NP
2) EIV
3) WT
4) FDP
5) Geometry

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 14:32
Thanks for the advice on the order of how to go through these books. I appreciate it!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 00:12
I have been browsing through this forum for a past few days and have found that many books available in the market don't provide questions with difficulty level at par or greater than the real test which you need to score in the range of 770. So could anybody tell me some good books for concept building and practicing good questions. I heard Manhattan books were good, but some are skeptical even about them. Can u people help me to find such material..?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Advice Request [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 15:01
I am not a gmat expert, but I have read on this forum that the practice tests available on this forum are very challenging. Also, I can tell you from personal experience that the Kaplan practice tests are more difficult than MGMAT. If that is what you want or need.

I hope this helps you.
Re: GMAT Advice Request   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2012, 15:01