Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Material - Under budget

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 16:50
Hello,

A collegue and I will be preparing the GMAT exam during the summer. I thought it may be useful to buy the preparation material now with the intention of getting familiar with the exam structure and in the meanwhile, if not do some specific preparation, at least increase my awareness towards details that may result useful for the GMAT exam. E.g. Phrase structures or obtaining the main argument of texts'.
English is not my mother tongue, and considering that even native speakers find it difficult to secure a high score in the verbal section, I understand I will need to put in a fair amount of extra effort in this section if I want to succeed in the GMAT. With no further delay, my questions are the following:

1) Is there going to be a new edition of any of the GMAT Prep packages? From what I've read so far, it seems like the MGMAT is the best preparation package at a reasonable price. To be more exact, of the Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides.
2) For those who have studied with a partner; do you recommend us to buy two copies of the same book or buy different ones and exchange them?

My idea is to start by acquiring the following :
- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition
- Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides

Then take a few mock exams and see in which sections I need to work on the most, and buy some specific material.

P.S. I am in the last year of a bachelor in Business Administration.

Thanks in advance,
Guillermo.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 19:20
From what I understand, anyone that takes the GMAT on or after June 5th will be required to take the new integrated reasoning section. You probably want to make sure that this new section is included in whatever materials you purchase.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 05:27
That's something I didn't know! Good call! According to the GMAT Website they will add a 30 minute, 12 question section about reasoning. However, the Quant and Verbal will remain the same, so I guess the prep material should be valid.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 09:07
Ok, after doing some research I found out that a new edition of Manhattan will be out in April. Since I will definitely take the GMAT after June 5th I will postpone my purchase and buy the new edition as soon as it's available.

Thanks for the info, bartthecartoon.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2421

Kudos [?]: 10421 [0], given: 3784

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 09:13
Expert's post
Here is something I put a while ago in case you are trying to save money/stay on the cheap side: gmat-prep-on-the-cheap-side-how-to-save-the-most-money-82151.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 15:11
Expert's post
Hi all,

Yes, the test is changing June 5, and yes, we are revising our curriculum in the spring. There will also be a new edition of the Official Guide around the same time.

However, bear in mind that only the first part of the exam is changing. The Analysis of an Issue essay will be removed in favor of the new Integrated Reasoning section. The rest of the exam will remain exactly the same, and your performance on Integrated Reasoning will not affect your 200-800 score. So if you're in no hurry to start your preparation, feel free to wait for our new improved books. We have revised and improved numerous aspects of the curriculum, most of which has nothing to do with Integrated Reasoning. Just keep in mind that any prep you do right now will be just as valid on the new test as on the current one. Unless you are staying up nights practicing the Analysis of an Issue essay . . .

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Material - Under budget [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 16:18
DmitryFarber wrote:
Hi all,

Yes, the test is changing June 5, and yes, we are revising our curriculum in the spring. There will also be a new edition of the Official Guide around the same time.

However, bear in mind that only the first part of the exam is changing. The Analysis of an Issue essay will be removed in favor of the new Integrated Reasoning section. The rest of the exam will remain exactly the same, and your performance on Integrated Reasoning will not affect your 200-800 score. So if you're in no hurry to start your preparation, feel free to wait for our new improved books. We have revised and improved numerous aspects of the curriculum, most of which has nothing to do with Integrated Reasoning. Just keep in mind that any prep you do right now will be just as valid on the new test as on the current one. Unless you are staying up nights practicing the Analysis of an Issue essay . . .

Thanks for the info DmitryFarber,

I will wait until the new MGMAT 8 Book edition is available to buy the material. For now, I have borrowed a version of the "Crack the GMAT 2010" to review basics and after going through it I will take a Practice Test to see what level I'm at.

Best.
Re: GMAT Material - Under budget   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2012, 16:18