Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Math / Verbal split important

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Math / Verbal split important [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2003, 05:21
Hi,
Just to let you know the composition of maths score and verbal score of the GMAT overall score is important:
INSEAD has rejected my otherwise good quality application (their words) with a 660 score not because of my overall score is not enough but because the math score is too low: The split of my 660 score was very uneven: Maths 36 (48%) :oops: and Verbal 46 (97%) :D . Something that was not made clear in the application requirements.

Now, I am resitting the GMAT in less than three weeks and I need to bring up my maths score to 70-75% according to INSEAD to still be able to get an interview. I did study maths at uni, but its all a long time ago and GMAT math is a different issue alltogether. Does anyboday out there have any good strategies on how to improve the GMAT math score ?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8858 [0], given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
here [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2003, 18:32
Expert's post
Hey, sorry it took a while to get to your message....

I'd suggest your case is a pretty good one.

Improving math takes less time than verbal. I assume you have done some math preparation, so you pretty much know the basics and I will omit those.

Since you have 3 weeks, I would suggest concentrating on Arithmetic and Word Problems - these account for about 70% of questions on the GMAT. (my guess). A lot of data sufficience is Arithmetic. Word problems dominate the PS section. Arithemtic, actually, is very often underestimated - one needs to brush up and learn all those little properties of numbers, and zeros, and negatives, etc. THey are the basics. A good source would be Kaplan's Math Workbook. The review sections are very short and are follwed by a large number of exercises. If you don't have time to spend solviing all of them, here are the numbers of the questions you should do for sure. (the intense course)

Kaplan's Math Book 2nd Edition.

Number properties test: 8, 13, 14, 17, 19

Averages test: 4, 6

Ratios: 22

Percents: 4, 7, 8, 22

Powers and Roots: 5, 12

Algebra test 2: 2, 6

Basic Word Problem Exercise (p. 131): 6, 8, 9

Word Problems Test 1: 4, 19, 24

Percents, Ratios, and Rates: 34

General WP Test: 31, 35, 40

Geometry

Triangles Exercise: 7, 11

Triangles Test: 2, 15, 18

Quadraliterals and other polygons: 14, 16, 17

Circles: 2, 5, 10

Multiple Figures: 2, 6, 9, 14

Solids: 5

DS1: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24

DS2: 3, 7, 9, 10, 15, 21, 23, 24

This is for the second edition. I think the third is the second with a few errors corrected, yet I don't guarantee it will be exactly the same. In any case, I do recommend this book a lot. I have used it for my prep.

ONE THING THAT YOU SHOULD DO FOR SURE: Review the rules and properties. Make sure you know the theory before you jump to solve the problems. Don't try to take GMAT sample tests now, concentrate on specific topics.

On this site I have Arithmetic 1 Posted, you can check it out if you have time. Here is the link: http://www.gmatclub.com/members/courses/quant/arithmetic1.shtml

Also, time management on GMAT: http://www.gmatclub.com/members/courses/quant/timing.shtml

I will also email you a few selections I have made while tuturing.
It will be great if you can get in.

Bogdan

Does anybody else have any suggestions for math?
here   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2003, 18:32