Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT PHOBIA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GMAT
Schools: TEXAS A &M UNIVERSITY
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 02:42
how can a nonnative English speaker can develop reading,understanding, and comprehension
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Re: GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 04:49
MBAGMATMBA wrote:
how can a nonnative English speaker can develop reading,understanding, and comprehension

I am also a non-native speaker and no authority in Verbal portion of the test; however, I have come a long way in my practice tests so far from V27 MGMAT#1 (taken cold without studying in Sept'10) to V38 GMATPrep #1 (May'11).

I have paid attention to the advice of experts in this forum - I read quite a few classic English novels since Sept'10. Also, everyday I read 3-4 articles featured in Sciencedaily, NYTimes and Washington Post editorials. Apart from this stuff, I try to read articles (about which I am least interested) on Wikipedia. Now, I can see my reading speed has improved tremendously along with comprehension. Also, I am familiar with most of the science, history related topics, which are unrelated to my area of work. In the nutshell, be a voracious reader, feed yourself anything and everything that comes your way. Just my 2 cents. :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9436 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 08:06
Expert's post
See this one: GMAT Fiction

I was a non-native speaker (still am ;) ) and scored V42, 96th percentile.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1853 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 08:38
Expert's post
I'm a non-native English speaker too and got 750, although I started near 0 in verbal. The most useful thing was focusing on SC and be able to solve them under 1 min. Surprisingly, it automatically solved my RC slow reading problem as I had much more time not to rush and spend 5-7 min on just reading.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 06:25
Begin reading English. All the time. I am 100% serious. You need to immerse yourself in the English language as it is written by native speakers.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GMAT
Schools: TEXAS A &M UNIVERSITY

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 05:48
skbjunior wrote:
MBAGMATMBA wrote:

I am also a non-native speaker and no authority in Verbal portion of the test; however, I have come a long way in my practice tests so far from V27 MGMAT#1 (taken cold without studying in Sept'10) to V38 GMATPrep #1 (May'11).

I have paid attention to the advice of experts in this forum - I read quite a few classic English novels since Sept'10. Also, everyday I read 3-4 articles featured in Sciencedaily, NYTimes and Washington Post editorials. Apart from this stuff, I try to read articles (about which I am least interested) on Wikipedia. Now, I can see my reading speed has improved tremendously along with comprehension. Also, I am familiar with most of the science, history related topics, which are unrelated to my area of work. In the nutshell, be a voracious reader, feed yourself anything and everything that comes your way. Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for paying attention to my concern, i , Bangladeshi and bangla speaker,obtained mgmat score firstly-v-29 and q-45, 06/01/2011, secondly v-28 and q-47,09/01/2011 and thereafter v score never went below 30,q score never below- 47.
what happened finally in my gmat 23/01/2011 v-16 and q-45 score is 500. what shame for me! i read Newsweek, times, nat geo,and Bangladeshi newspaper the daily star articles. notably my first GMATPREP was-530.

what happened at the time of my GMAT exam,
1. i totally failed to understand any sentence of the verbal part.
2. i felt bother about the questions as if questions had set with so many commas(,) .
3. i got a confusion to answer all RC questions because the answer options were only one word mostly.
4. i did so much brainstorming in awa section that reduced my patience in verbal section.
5. i was mentally pressured to prompt answering.

i am so much enthusiastic about GMAT. My BBA has been completed with GPA-3.69(4.00) Major in marketing, from Dhaka University,Bangladesh. i will appear for the exam again. so by which way i can raise my score is my major concern.
plz, help............................
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT PHOBIA [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 12:29
Read! ;-)
Re: GMAT PHOBIA   [#permalink] 08 May 2011, 12:29