Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 17:27
Hi Experts,
I have my GMAT exam on 6th Feb and have given 3 Manhattan Tests with a score:
MGMAT CAT1: 600 Q45 V29
MGMAT CAT2: 670 Q46 V35
MGMAT CAT3: 670 Q46 V35
GMAT Prep1: 600 Q46 V27

I was amazed to see the result of GMAT Prep as I had got 16 Verbal wrong and got 27 while on MGMAT CAT 2 & 3 I got 17-18 wrong and still got 35. Even I feel the level of questions is more tough in GMAT prep than in MGMAT.

Could anybody throw any light on the accuracy of the scoring as my target is to get atleast 650 in my final exam.

Also I tried very hard to improve my SC which has shown results in MGMAT 2 & 3 (12/16 in SC) My CR is going down....Also any tips to improve it in a short time? I am a non native speaker.

An early response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Amit
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8338 [0], given: 3643

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 15:41
Expert's post
This should help you a bit more with your scores: http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-estimate/

GMAT Prep is the more accurate measure.
Can't think of a quick fix for SC - reading books is the only non-obvious option I can suggest.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 15:54
Hi BB,

Thanks for the response.

Do we have explanations available for GMAT prep set of 185 SC questions?

Thanks in anticipation.
-Amit
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 16:05
Expert's post
amitanand wrote:
Hi BB,

Thanks for the response.

Do we have explanations available for GMAT prep set of 185 SC questions?

Thanks in anticipation.
-Amit

You can search through the forums - they could have been discussed.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 18:29
Check out Kaplan 800 for CR, I found this to be the best. Personally, I got frustrated with MGMAT's CR in their CATs and never used their verbal again. I generally get top scores in verbal, but I don't think their questions are really up to par - many of them don't seem to have clear answer choices. I think Kaplan does a better job and they take you through some good things to look out for, so you can basically predict what the GMAT is going for before you even look at the answer choices.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 17:24
Yep . i feel the same too about the CR section. I generally got more answers more answers correct when I tried the OG 12 and 11 .But when I took the MGMAT CAT , I was way out in CR's ..

Not sure what to take from it?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 21:00
Expert's post
sang5650 wrote:
Yep . i feel the same too about the CR section. I generally got more answers more answers correct when I tried the OG 12 and 11 .But when I took the MGMAT CAT , I was way out in CR's ..

OG has the most exact/correct/same style of the logic and reasoning. That's one reason I suggest you do at the very end (before your test) so that you can "adjust" your ear for the official question patterns and logic.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 11:36
bb wrote:
sang5650 wrote:

OG has the most exact/correct/same style of the logic and reasoning. That's one reason I suggest you do at the very end (before your test) so that you can "adjust" your ear for the official question patterns and logic.

You mean, taking OG at the end?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 20:44
Expert's post
sang5650 wrote:
You mean, taking OG at the end?

Yes.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 20:39
Hi Bb,

Many thanks for creating this site. It is very useful.

You mentioned in this post:

This should help you a bit more with your scores: http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-estimate/

I checked this link but could not really figure out how to make a correlation between an Mgmat score ( I got 670- Q48, V33) and a possible OG score.

Is there any way to do this?

Many thanks and looking forward to your prompt response.

Claudia
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 20:40
Expert's post
You would only get correlation between the MGMAT and Final GMAT Score.

Nothing related to the Official Guide (OG)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 21:11
Thank you. Still a bit confused...
What do you mean by Gmat Final Score? Is it an average for all scores of different tests?

Also, from your experience, would you say that qs on MGMAT are more difficult than the ones on the real gmat?

This is my last question:)Many thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 21:25
Expert's post
Claudia777 wrote:
Thank you. Still a bit confused...
What do you mean by Gmat Final Score? Is it an average for all scores of different tests?

Also, from your experience, would you say that qs on MGMAT are more difficult than the ones on the real gmat?

This is my last question:)Many thanks.

LOL. you are welcome to ask all the questions you want (as long as you search first of course).

I think MGMAT math is sometimes harder but quite in line with the GMAT (the reports are always skewed - either it is easy or too hard).

The Score Calculator correlates the final gmat score that people have received with their practice scores. The more data points, the more precise it is (it does not average, but rather uses an algorithm that gives different weight to diff tests; the more precise the practice test, the higher weight it has). it is all dynamic and I am probably boring you to death at this point.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 02:32
Hi Amitanand,

I am in same situation as you. If someone who are scoring in higher end of the test and can precisely pin point on the strategy to follow It surely would help a lot on final test.

My MGMAT show 680 (47, 36) with number of question wrong in V around 17-18. Another pattern in MGMAT test is series of wrong question in bunch of 4-5. Sometime they are in middle and sometime at end. I try to avoid getting bunch of mistakes in start.

The same scenarios if you translate in GMATPrep. By scenario i mean number of wrongs in series i.e. 3-4 wrongs in a series lets say somewhere in middle and also at the end. In addition you have a well spread mistakes through the test. In such case GMATPrep penalises you heavily. You will end up with V27/29ish, also happening in my tests.

Assuming GPREP is real indicator of test I think the MGMAT algorithm seems to be overestimating the Verbal score. BTW: same problem is not seen in quant scores.

Can someone explain what strategy to follow in verbal sections other than just mentioning do no make too many mistakes in first 10 and avoid getting bunch of mistake together?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 21:23
[LOL. you are welcome to ask all the questions you want (as long as you search first of course).

I think MGMAT math is sometimes harder but quite in line with the GMAT (the reports are always skewed - either it is easy or too hard).

The Score Calculator correlates the final gmat score that people have received with their practice scores. The more data points, the more precise it is (it does not average, but rather uses an algorithm that gives different weight to diff tests; the more precise the practice test, the higher weight it has). it is all dynamic and I am probably boring you to death at this point.
]

Apologizes for my late reply. Things have been a bit chaotic here.

Thank you for the explanation; and no no, it did not bore me at all! On the contrary, it was very interesting:) So as far as I understand, I get to see a potential correlation only once I take the GMAT.
A bit more tests practice and will be there!

Many thanks again.
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 01:39
Amitanand,

Have you read Powerscore CR?

Try to get LSAT PDFs for free on esnips.com. Take 10 tests untime that is is 500 questions. You will improve CR dramatically.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Gmat Prep Test Scoring Vs Manhattan   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2011, 01:39